August 2011 Moms
Options

~*~Unpopular Opinions~*~

Are we doing these on Thursdays? Sorry if I am out of the loop but I saw TTGP's up and I wanted to play too Smile

If you feel like this fine feline, feel free to share your UO!

"For a long time there were only your footprints & laughter in our dreams & even from such small things, we knew we could not wait to love you forever." ~storypeople.com   

My Blog - Taking You Home

Re: ~*~Unpopular Opinions~*~

• Options

I don't like reality shows and it seriously annoys me when people get so involved in them they act like the contestants are their personal friends.

I don't care HOW hot it is - I think taking your baby out in public wearing only a diaper is trashy.

"For a long time there were only your footprints & laughter in our dreams & even from such small things, we knew we could not wait to love you forever." ~storypeople.com   

• Options

I absolutely cannot stand fake/acrylic nails! I had to get some for a wedding recently and I felt prententious and trashy all at the same time, I couldn't wait to rip those suckers off! I especially hate seeing them on the teen mom shows, how do they afford for their nails to look different every week??

I also think it's weird when people get pedicures or paint their toes but don't do anything to their fingernails. It looks unfinished or something.

AND I agree with MT's diaper theory, I've never liked when kids are in just a diaper, it grosses me out lol.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageMillerTime13:

I don't like reality shows and it seriously annoys me when people get so involved in them they act like the contestants are their personal friends.

I don't care HOW hot it is - I think taking your baby out in public wearing only a diaper is trashy.

Similarly, I can't stand when people get so involved in sports teams they follow that they act like their lives are over if a game goes poorly, or like they have personal impact on the players and results of a game or competition.

Married 11/21/2009
    BFP 12/4/2010
    Baby Maryn was born 8/18/11
    image   imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I'm pissed about the anti-immigration law they passed in AL yesterday.

I don't know how unpopular that opinion is going to be on here, but apparently it's unpopular in my neck of the woods IRL.

• Options
    imagewhitney1170:

I also think it's weird when people get pedicures or paint their toes but don't do anything to their fingernails. It looks unfinished or something.

While I suppose it looks unfinished.. I work in a hospital and can't have painted fingernails..but I'm sure thats not the case with everyone Smile

CafeMom Tickers
  • Options
    imagejules04528:
    imagewhitney1170:

While I suppose it looks unfinished.. I work in a hospital and can't have painted fingernails..but I'm sure thats not the case with everyone Smile

My fingernails are usually painted clear, but my toenails are ALWAYS painted. MH always says he doesn't know why I paint them in the winter but I hate feet and I think it makes them look just slightly better. lol

• Options
    zenmazenma member
    imageMillerTime13:
    imagejules04528:
    imagewhitney1170:

My fingernails are usually painted clear, but my toenails are ALWAYS painted. MH always says he doesn't know why I paint them in the winter but I hate feet and I think it makes them look just slightly better. lol

Except for special occasions my fingernails are natural but my toes are always painted. I also tend to pick polish off my nails and it just looks so much better if I have no polish vs. chipped/peeled fingernails.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I loathe polished fingernails.  And unpolished toenails. :)
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageIove.wins:

I don't know how unpopular that opinion is going to be on here, but apparently it's unpopular in my neck of the woods IRL.

Ehhhh, I'll agree it's too far reaching... but illegal immigration is the one thing where I'm actually more on the conservative side. This is the only country where people expect to come in illegally and receive so much. Go try that anywhere else and see how it works out.

• Options
    imageMillerTime13:

Agree BUT if the baby is in a cloth diaper, then I think it is super cute.  I just got a super cute cow print diaper and I can definitely see baby at the park in only this.

I think that 3D/4D ultrasounds are kind of creepy.  Baby's not done yet and I don't need to see him/her until I am able to shake his/her hand. 

• Options
    imagemeganjane86:
    imageIove.wins:

Ehhhh, I'll agree it's too far reaching... but illegal immigration is the one thing where I'm actually more on the conservative side. This is the only country where people expect to come in illegally and receive so much. Go try that anywhere else and see how it works out.

THANK YOU!

• Options
    I think it's especially creepy to put a picture from your 3D u/s on a shower invite.  I've seen this done.  Little pink bow on the head too.  Really really weird, IMH(and perhaps U)O.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagemananana:
    imagejules04528:
    imagewhitney1170:

I love pedis but never waste the money on manicures.  If I do anything I maybe put a clear coat on- I chip everything else off way too easily.

Yeah I guess I meant clearly unkempt fingers, clear polish or at least file and take care of cuticles is fine. It's weird when toes look great and fingers look like you've been digging at the sidewalk all day lol.

• Options
    imageGLGB:
    imageMillerTime13:

Agree BUT if the baby is in a cloth diaper, then I think it is super cute.  I just got a super cute cow print diaper and I can definitely see baby at the park in only this.

And, CDs most often COST more than most infant outfits!! ;)  I'm all for exposed CDs, I've been able to talk about CDs with moms in the grocery store when DS is rocking just a shirt and a CD.  It's awesome exposure for the next generation of CDs!! :)

Miller, I HATE reality TV.  It's GAWD-awful, IMO.  I love when people can tell me all about some Real Housewife's sex life, but can't tell me any of the names of the gentlemen who signed the Declaration of Independence...  ho hum!! 

Prudence
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Otis
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Hank 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options

These threads are always such trainwrecks.

That said, I'll join the party with a nasty one:

I find it frightening that some of the people on this board are about to be responsible for another life.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagemeganjane86:
    imageIove.wins:

I can see that point - but on the other hand - what makes me more worthy of living in a country with good conditions and someone who was born somewhere else not so? Just because I got lucky and was born in the U.S.? The fact that someone in Mexico (or wherever) is desperate enough to risk their lives to give themselves and families a better shot at life is just not something I can be angry about. 

• Options
    I hate when people refer to my baby or their baby or any baby really as "baby" without anything before it. Like, "Be careful with baby, she might fall off the changing table"  or "how is baby doing".  I have no idea why this bothers me so much but I just really want a descriptive before the word baby, like "my" or "the" or use the baby's name!  Strange I know. Smile
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
  • Options
    imageBnchaNums:

I find it frightening that some of the people on this board are about to be responsible for another life.

Hahaha I know what you mean! I feel that way about people in real life, too. Flame away, if you knew what I've heard and seen people I know IRL do, you would be shocked they are about to be responsible for a new, helpless human being too.

Also, I hate Real Housewives. I seriously can't believe that people watch any of those shows, and I watch a little reality tv (unless House Hunters counts, then I watch it more often Wink ). I think all of the Real Housewives are power tripping fame wh0res. Huh?

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

I couldn't quote because I would be quoting WAY too many posts. So here's some of my thoughts on other posts. Haha!

Reality shows for the most part make me nuts. My best friend takes about Paris Hilton like they just went to lunch together. I tell her she needs to get a life every time she starts babbling.

As for the manicured nails on Teen Mom (one of the 3 reality shows I do watch) I always yell "Stop getting your nails done and you wont have to cry about paying for your car!!!". For some reason they don't seem to hear me.... hehehehe

I think a baby in just a cloth diaper and tee is fine. A baby in just a disposable diaper at the grocery store, not fine. At least put a onsie on them! When I see mostly naked babies out in the sun I barely restrain the urge to ask the mother if they applied sunscreen on them.

Edit: Forgot to say about people getting so worked up about "Their" sports team.... this is my H and his family over the Yankees. I can't stand it. H will yell all the time at the tv "You guys aren't even trying to play!" so I yell at him "You go out there and see if you can do better then the professional players that all have more money then we will ever see!". H's uncle is seriously depressed the day after the Yankees loose a game. Seriously? Get a life!

Married & TTC #1 since 8/28/10 BFP #1 10/25/10 - EDD 7/5/11 -M/C 11/10/10 BFP #2 12/16/10 - EDD 8/26/11 - BORN 8/10/11 Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I totally agree about the babies in diapers, creeps me out too....and my husband also.

My thing is i cant stand people who let their 6 year olds wear clothes with lettering on their butt like cutie and what not....its a 6 year old i dont need attention attracted to my little girls behind! there are too many sickos out there

• Options
    imageJennairess:

I totally agree about the babies in diapers, creeps me out too....and my husband also.

My thing is i cant stand people who let their 6 year olds wear clothes with lettering on their butt like cutie and what not....its a 6 year old i dont need attention attracted to my little girls behind! there are too many sickos out there

Yes!!! This makes me crazy! And tiny strapped tanks on little girls (in public) is not cool with me either! I guess people just creep me out way too much.

I also hate two piece swim suits on babies and little girls. I don't think a 6 month old needs to own a bikini.... I also think alot of adults that own bikini's should think twice but that's a whole different topic. lol

Married & TTC #1 since 8/28/10 BFP #1 10/25/10 - EDD 7/5/11 -M/C 11/10/10 BFP #2 12/16/10 - EDD 8/26/11 - BORN 8/10/11 Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagelincolngirl:
    imagemeganjane86:
    imageIove.wins:

I can see that point - but on the other hand - what makes me more worthy of living in a country with good conditions and someone who was born somewhere else not so? Just because I got lucky and was born in the U.S.? The fact that someone in Mexico (or wherever) is desperate enough to risk their lives to give themselves and families a better shot at life is just not something I can be angry about. 

You may have been lucky to be born in the US but you've also paid to continuing living here. I don't care if people want to come here to get a better life, as long as they are willing to put in the work and money that comes along with it. What I care about is the fact that about 35% of my hard earned money if going towards people that come here and pay nothing into the system. Its going towards them getting assistance for housing and college educations. These are all things that I had to work my tail off to get and they are basically getting them for free because they were unlucky enough to be born some place else.

I praise the people that actually come here legally and do it the right way. I've worked with these people and done some of the behind the scenes work on what it all entails and its a pain in the butt for everyone involved but at least they are doing the right thing and they are following the law and paying taxes. 

• Options
    imageLindsRockies:

I miss the TTGP board and really wish some of the regs weren't such nazis about who can and can't post there.

This board really needs a break from monotony of pregnancy or baby related threads.  Yes, I know this is a baby board, it comes with the territory, etc.  But it gets old sometimes to see nothing but glucose test or nursery posts. 

Yes to all of this. Sometimes I just want to answer peoples' questions since I know the correct answer over there, but I feel like some posters get annoyed by that.

And I don't want to be a PW, but ooommmmmgggg sometimes the monotony on here is a little boring. I just want to post surveys and questions to break things up.

• Options
    imageLindsRockies:

imageStefandTodd:
    I loathe polished fingernails.  And unpolished toenails. :)

YesYes

I miss the TTGP board and really wish some of the regs weren't such nazis about who can and can't post there.

This board really needs a break from monotony of pregnancy or baby related threads.  Yes, I know this is a baby board, it comes with the territory, etc.  But it gets old sometimes to see nothing but glucose test or nursery posts. 

Word.  I haven't even perused TTGP recently, so I don't know what's going on there.  If and when we ever try for #3, I don't know if I'll be back there (from what I've heard).  I'm not sure what the current "restrictions" are.

And LOL to the poster who gets annoyed at "baby".  I cannot STAND when people say something like, "Make sure you have enough supplies for when baby arrives."  THE baby, YOUR baby....not just plain old baby.  I totally get that and I see it all over the place.

• Options
    imageCatahoulaMom:
    imageLindsRockies:

Yes to all of this. Sometimes I just want to answer peoples' questions since I know the correct answer over there, but I feel like some posters get annoyed by that.

And I don't want to be a PW, but ooommmmmgggg sometimes the monotony on here is a little boring. I just want to post surveys and questions to break things up.

You should! I agree, we need some more fun around here. =)

• Options
    imageSkibunny07:
    imagelincolngirl:
    imagemeganjane86:
    imageIove.wins:

You may have been lucky to be born in the US but you've also paid to continuing living here. I don't care if people want to come here to get a better life, as long as they are willing to put in the work and money that comes along with it. What I care about is the fact that about 35% of my hard earned money if going towards people that come here and pay nothing into the system. Its going towards them getting assistance for housing and college educations. These are all things that I had to work my tail off to get and they are basically getting them for free because they were unlucky enough to be born some place else.

I praise the people that actually come here legally and do it the right way. I've worked with these people and done some of the behind the scenes work on what it all entails and its a pain in the butt for everyone involved but at least they are doing the right thing and they are following the law and paying taxes. 

I think that coming here legally is much harder than some realize. My Phillipino friend says she has relatives who have been waiting their entire life to try to come here legally, and it hasn't happened. I don't necessasrily think that we should just open our boarders, but I also can't help but sympathize with those who come over here out of desperation - because many of them know that it won't happen any other way. I totally support the ideas to allow children a path to legitimate citizenship which would eventually have them paying into our tax system. I agree that people living here should pay taxes, but I also think that many of them gladly would if they could become legal. Also, I don't believe that 35% of your taxes are going to illegal immigrants - or even welfare in general. Here's a chart on where our federal taxes are going:

https://www.investorguide.com/taxtrackr/ 

• Options
    imagelincolngirl:
    imagemeganjane86:
    imageIove.wins:

I have absolutely no problem with people coming to this country- the more the merrier! What I do have a problem with is when people come to this country illegally and then pay no taxes yet receive services that my tax dollars go to. 

My neighbors are a perfect illustration- she's from Chile and he's from Poland, they met in a class learning to speak English, they got married, she goes to school, he works, they bought a house and are contributing to the economy. And watching their daughters speak all 3 languages is the cutest thing ever! I'm all for people becoming citizens, and we should simplify the process, but living here for years and years benefiting from our government without contributing to it irks me. 

• Options
    imageLindsRockies:
    imageCatahoulaMom:

HUGE Yes to this!  I have tried to post some non-baby related threads lately, but I feel like they don't get too much of a response.

Hence why I don't mind if these threads become a "train wreck" as a PP said Wink

• Options
    imageMillerTime13:
    imageLindsRockies:
    imageCatahoulaMom:

HUGE Yes to this!  I have tried to post some non-baby related threads lately, but I feel like they don't get too much of a response.

Hence why I don't mind if these threads become a "train wreck" as a PP said Wink

I agree.

And Linds, I know what you mean. Sometimes I think people read through the posts but don't participate unless they are starting their own threads about having a question or wanting to AW something they have/are doing. And I get annoyed at posters who ask 50 million questions but never join in on any other conversations.

• Options
    imagelincolngirl:
    imageSkibunny07:
    imagelincolngirl:
    imagemeganjane86:
    imageIove.wins:

I think that coming here legally is much harder than some realize. My Phillipino friend says she has relatives who have been waiting their entire life to try to come here legally, and it hasn't happened. I don't necessasrily think that we should just open our boarders, but I also can't help but sympathize with those who come over here out of desperation - because many of them know that it won't happen any other way. I totally support the ideas to allow children a path to legitimate citizenship which would eventually have them paying into our tax system. I agree that people living here should pay taxes, but I also think that many of them gladly would if they could become legal. Also, I don't believe that 35% of your taxes are going to illegal immigrants - or even welfare in general. Here's a chart on where our federal taxes are going:

I was obviously over exaggerating on the taxes. I know that most of it does not go to welfare or to illegal immigrants. I do feel bad for these people, but I feel just as bad for the people that came here legally and fought through the system for years to do it the right way and then they look over see people just walking in and getting everything handed to them. 

I agree the system currently is too tough for those trying to do it legally. I don't think we should open our borders but I think we need to simplify the process a little bit. It seems to be one of the only ways you can get in here is if you are highly educated and a company sponsors you, or you marry in haha. 

• Options

imageStefandTodd:
    I think it's especially creepy to put a picture from your 3D u/s on a shower invite.  I've seen this done.  Little pink bow on the head too.  Really really weird, IMH(and perhaps U)O.

THIS EXACTLY! Also I'm not a big fan of an US pics on the shower invites...US kind of creepy me out anyway...LOL! 

• Options
    imageSkibunny07:
    imagelincolngirl:
    imageSkibunny07:
    imagelincolngirl:
    imagemeganjane86:
    imageIove.wins:

I was obviously over exaggerating on the taxes. I know that most of it does not go to welfare or to illegal immigrants. I do feel bad for these people, but I feel just as bad for the people that came here legally and fought through the system for years to do it the right way and then they look over see people just walking in and getting everything handed to them. 

I agree the system currently is too tough for those trying to do it legally. I don't think we should open our borders but I think we need to simplify the process a little bit. It seems to be one of the only ways you can get in here is if you are highly educated and a company sponsors you, or you marry in haha. 

so our views are probably not much different overall :-) 

• Options
    imagemeganjane86:
    imagelincolngirl:
    imagemeganjane86:
    imageIove.wins:

I have absolutely no problem with people coming to this country- the more the merrier! What I do have a problem with is when people come to this country illegally and then pay no taxes yet receive services that my tax dollars go to. 

My neighbors are a perfect illustration- she's from Chile and he's from Poland, they met in a class learning to speak English, they got married, she goes to school, he works, they bought a house and are contributing to the economy. And watching their daughters speak all 3 languages is the cutest thing ever! I'm all for people becoming citizens, and we should simplify the process, but living here for years and years benefiting from our government without contributing to it irks me. 

YesYes This!

• Options

A few comments about the previous posts:

I am all for the train wreck that this post could become because OMG, if I hear more people whine about the gluclose test (which we should be ALMOST done with those) or post questions about swollen feet/fingers etc I may just lose my mind a little bit... I feel like replying "Girl we are all swollen, it is June and currently 104 degrees and humid as all H3LL... suck it up and deal with it, the rest of us are!"

Could not agree more about reality TV shows... I have occasionally been watching a baby story (I am on bedrest... leave me be!) and I seriously want to hurt some of these women... Really, stop freaking out and deal with the situation at hand... Also, your baby isn't going to die from crying, and your husband can take care of him/her for an hour...

Nail on Teen Mom: I don't watch this show , but seriously, stop letting the government pay for your kid and use that $$ for your nails to support your child... GRRRR I would throw something at my TV...

Saying on kids butts: I used to work with sex offenders and trust me this is somehting they notice... I also don't think little girls should wear adult looking heels and other clothes out in public... It invites inappropriate attention... Playing dress up is one thing, but public, not so much... Same thing with bikini's... Not on my kid!

Immigration: Come here legally... Yes I get that it is hard, but it is hard for a reason... And I am sorry, I get that you had a kid here and they are now US citizens, but I don't think that should allow you to be able to stay here... I have worked far too hard to to pay for your free ride, health insurance and education..

My Rant: I am so frustrated by our welfare system and the fact that we just hand money out like there is no end... I applaud Florida for starting drug testing to receive your welfare check... and the fact that the person has to pay for it is even better (if they pass they get reimbursed, but if they fail they are out the $$)... I hate that I have worked continually (until bed rest that is) since I was 15 only to support people who sit and do nothing all day and then use MY money to buy drugs... 

imageimage BabyName Ticker
  • Options

And for my UO... sorry but i don't really understand the desire for professional maternity pictures. I kind of feel like they are a waste of money and a lot of the ones that I see are kind of trashy, or not in the best taste. I'm all for documenting my pregnancy and my bump and everything and I may have a friend who has a nice camera take a a picture or two of DH and I but I don't understand paying a lot of money for pictures of me, looking huge and uncomfortable. I'd rather save the money and get some newborn pictures or family pictures once LO is actually here. 

And no offense to anyone who gets these but I LOATHE the bare belly pictures. I don't think they ever looks good no matter how lovingly you are looking at it or having your DH kiss it.  The only ones that are kind of ok are if you already have an LO and they are kissing the belly... thats cute, everything else not so much. Sorry just my opinion, I know not everyone will agree. 

• Options
    imagewhitney1170:
    imagemananana:
    imagejules04528:
    imagewhitney1170:

I love pedis but never waste the money on manicures.  If I do anything I maybe put a clear coat on- I chip everything else off way too easily.

Yeah I guess I meant clearly unkempt fingers, clear polish or at least file and take care of cuticles is fine. It's weird when toes look great and fingers look like you've been digging at the sidewalk all day lol.

Haha, this is so me.  My fingernails are gross.  I can't seem to ever have nice cuticles or nails.  Yes, I'm a dirty nail biter, but even when I'm not, they are just terrible.  I can file them, use cuticle cream, fix cuticles and I always have skin breaking away from around the nail etc.  Just call me sidewalk digger I guess. 

• Options
    I'll throw in another random one bc I am planning two bridal showers plus my showers are coming up - I detest "etiquette" when it comes to showers. I don't understand why there are all of these rules and why people get so bent out of shape when people don't word invitations correctly, include registry information, care about who's paying for something, etc. The only thing I really think is taboo is saying that cash is preferred instead of gifts or something like that bc I think that's kind of rude. Otherwise who cares?!

• Options
    imageBnchaNums:

Yes Not just this board but also on some others... and some people I know IRL. It annoys me when people get pregnant and expect everyone they know to help them with the baby by buying the crib, clothes, car seat, etc. If you can't afford to have a kid on your own and are gonna whine when no one is helping you, maybe you shouldn't be having a kid.

Member since 2010 ❤️
    #1 BFP 12/31/10 EDD 8/14/11 Born 8/9/11

#2 BFP 3/20/12 EDD 11/17/12 M/C 3/25/12

#3 BFP 11/17/12 EDD 8/5/13 Born 8/4/13

#4 BFP 1/26/14 EDD 09/29/14 Born 10/01/14

• Options

imagemeganjane86:

what do you mean? like basic human rights?

• Options
    imagelincolngirl:
    imagemeganjane86:
    imageIove.wins:

This is my thinking as well. And while I don't like the fact that they do it illegally, a part of me understands because of how difficult and (from what I understand) expensive the process of becoming a citizen is. Isn't the wait on a green card something like 3 years? I have no real problem with updating our immigration laws (eta: let me be clear-- while protecting the human rights of those coming over). The problem I have is that we're not also updating the naturalization process.

I'll probably get flamed to high hell for this, but with this baby coming I can empathize with the families that come over to give their children a better life (yes, even illegally)... If I were in the same circumstances, I'd probably do the exact same thing to give my baby a chance to thrive instead of just survive, kwim?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"