Parenting after 35
Options

Getting keys from former nanny?

It dawned on me after Nanny #1 left us that I didn't ask her to return our house keys.  I decided that there was really no point to it as (a) she was in our house everyday alone and could have taken something if she wanted to; and (b) she could always copy the keys.  We have no reason to distrust her.

But, now I'm thinking about an upcoming vacation and feel a little weird about someone else technically having carte blanche to our house.  Would you change the locks?  That can be be pretty pricey, and maybe not necessary.  Can't decide. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Getting keys from former nanny?

• Options
    I wouldn't change 'em, but I'm funny that way.  
    You are likely to be eaten by a grue. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    I would change the locks, she may be trust worthy but are all her friends and family. If she ever mentioned once to anyone she still had the keys it wouldn't be to hard for someone to swipe em and she probably would not notice.

Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I wouldn't worry about it. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I don't think I'd worry about it either. Where are you going on vacation? Have fun!
  • Options
    If you trust her I would ask for the keys back. Do you have a security system? I would change the code.
  • Options

Someone else mentioned a keyless entry, so I think I will look into that and see how much it costs.

We're going to Charlottesville, VA...I went to UVA and want to show DH around as he has never been there. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    When I kicked my ex out, I changed the front door lock myself - it was very easy.
  • Options
    I would get the keys back. And if I couldn't-I change the locks. I'm surprised she hasn't given the keys back-I would. Because God forbid something happens-you'd have to include her on the suspect list. Oh, the thing we have to worry about!
    For some reason it took us forever and a day to get and stay pregnant. Cancelled IVF, failed IUI's and a marriage in crisis sandwiched within two years. Now, we've been blessed with two girls and a Christmas Baby is on the way. Not planned but perfect. www.ApronStrings.typepad.com
  • Options
    Better safe then sorry... and it should be inexpensive/DIY
    Take a chance. Take a risk. Take the initiative. Make your wishes a reality and make your dreams come true!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

If you do opt to change the locks, I would consider the locks that you rekey yourself. 

https://www.kwikset.com/SmartSecurity/Re-Key-Technology.aspx

If you have to give a key to a repairman for a day, you can just rekey.  And in your situation, such as if you get a new nanny, you'd be prepared for the future.

They are pretty genius.  You can buy just deadbolts, or whole sets (handles, locks, etc.), so you can spend $25-$130 per door, depending on what you need. But if you can install yourself, $30 a door isn't a bad price for peace of mind.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"