Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

what's wrong with Johnson & Johnson baby soap?

I've seen a few posts on some boards about J&J soap being bad, but I can't find anything about why. I googled and didn't see anything either. I've been using it for DD and am wondering if I should switch. The organic stuff is SO incredibly expensive, it's hard to justify. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: what's wrong with Johnson & Johnson baby soap?

• I don't think anything's wrong with it. We use it and DS has never had a problem.

• imagemelody921:
    I don't think anything's wrong with it. We use it and DS has never had a problem.

agreed

1st pregnancy: m/c began 1/12/09 d&c 1/13/09 8wks. Baby stopped growing at about 6wks.

Delaney: Born 10/15/09

Gavin: Born 4/8/11

Baby #3: due July 10, 2014

• Loading the player...
  • imageRJHarmon:

imagemelody921:
    I don't think anything's wrong with it. We use it and DS has never had a problem.

agreed

this for us too! in the winter we have to switch to a heavier lotion though because DS' skin gets very dry. 

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • there was talk of a possible recall last year due to toxins found in the soap/shampoo....but i don't think there ever was an actual recall.  we switched just to be safe and use Baby Bee from Burts Bees shampoo and i love it.
    photo IMG_3757_zps3e266e57.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker "Sometimes I am two people. Johnny is the nice one. Cash causes all the trouble. They fight." - Johnny Cash
  • We use all of their products as well and have never had a problem. The only one I won't use and my Pediatrician actually brought it to my attention, is the Lavender one. It tends to cause rashes. She said at the last Pediatric convention they were at, J&J had a huge display set up and her and a few colleagues pointed out to them that they were getting a lot of complaints about that particular one, J&J acknowledged it and said they had heard the same thing. Yet they continue to carry it. But if your LO hasn't had any issues with them, don't worry about it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • The only reason we don't use it is because it exacerbated DS' eczema.  We switched to Aveeno Baby.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket
  • We've always used it...I don't plan on switching.  No problems here!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • llc730llc730 member

The main concern is the amount of chemicals in it. If you want to do some research of your own www.skindeep.com is a great sight. It basically tells you if a product contains potentially harmful chemicals and how up front a company is about what they are putting in their products.

BTW before I had DD I thought paying for something like Burt's Bee's or California Baby was ridiculous. Then I did the research and had a newborn with horrible cradle cap/eczema and decided the money was totally worth it.

• imageMrsPatterson:
    The only reason we don't use it is because it exacerbated DS' eczema.  We switched to Aveeno Baby.

FYI, Aveeno's under the J&J family.  J&J has a lot of chemicals.  Their rating on skindeep is ridiculously high.  Also around the time when DD was born someone on TB posted an article about cancer-causing agents that have or may been found.  Don't quote me on those exact words but I remember it being something like that and this is why I switched to CA Baby.  Yes, it's way more expensive but for it does last a while.  We had the small shampoo/body wash bottle for over a year.  Plus, every now and then Target will send out coupons for it so I'll buy another bottle to stock up.

So for the ladies who say their LO's are fine of course they're fine.  The long-run?  Who knows.  And I know it can be tiring, time-consuming, and sometimes expensive to try and figure out what's good and what's not but it's one thing at a time, you know?  It's like moms buying organic milk for their kids. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagedragon_chica:

So for the ladies who say their LO's are fine of course they're fine.  The long-run?  Who knows. 

If you want the long run, look around.  J&J baby shampoo has been around for a long time and most adults I know used it when they were babies.  We use Aveeno and have no issues using the regular J&J stuff either (yes, I know they are all J&J).  I remember when I was preg with DS and everyone was so anti-J&J on the baby boards.  I never understood it.  I am sure someday some study will come out somewhere saying that CA Baby is bad for your kids. You just can't win when it comes to this stuff. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Go Phils!!
  • I like ewg.org skin deep's site and look for 1-2 ratings. sometimes i'll go with a 3 (ie my wipes are a 3). if you have the time to research, there are some products on that site that are affordable and you don't have to spend burt's bees or CA baby bucks.  (ie, Aveeno baby every day lotion is a 2, aquaphor baby wash is a 2 and was only $4.50 with a $1 off coupon on the bottle)

However, I"m not really a fan of the "we're all fine and we used it" argument. since no, not really. our environment, products, foods are loaded with carcinogens and it "seems like" (obviously i don't have the stats right now) 1 out 4 adults end up with cancer these days... 

• For everyone who keeps saying Aveeno is better you realize they are the same company right?

We use it mainly because I am cheap and I have switched and seen no improvement in DS's excezma. DS has to be on an RX cream for his face.

• imagewarwickbride06:

However, I"m not really a fan of the "we're all fine and we used it" argument.

I am usually like this, but not in this case.  It seems like everytime I turn on the news or go online there is some new study out. When I had DS, breathable bumpers were the "safe" alternative to regualr bumpers. Now they apparently are just as bad (don't know if I am buying that one, though).   I think you have to pick your battles and this is one that I am just not going to get up in arms over. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Go Phils!!
  • imageSailorGray:
    imagewarwickbride06:

I am usually like this, but not in this case.  It seems like everytime I turn on the news or go online there is some new study out. When I had DS, breathable bumpers were the "safe" alternative to regualr bumpers. Now they apparently are just as bad (don't know if I am buying that one, though).   I think you have to pick your battles and this is one that I am just not going to get up in arms over. 

I agree with this. I personally don't have time, energy or money to get my arms up in a wad over every article I read on the internet.

• I agree with pp that says everytime we turn on the news there is a new article saying what not to do or saying something has changed.  I feel like everytime I turn around something else is causing cancer.  I just think we have to do what we feel as parents are right.  No I dont think we should dis-regard everything but we def need to pick battles.  I even heard the other day that sunscreen is being linking to causing cancer.  Just sayin.
  • well, we shouldn't be overzealous, but there's nothing wrong with finding out what's in our products and making an informed decision. I think there's a lot of loopholes that companies use to mass produce a product and sell it, even though it may contain questionable ingredients. also with the increasing awareness of this many companies are now "greenwashing" claiming they're safer and fooling their customers when in fact they may not be...and then then charge extra for this claim.

As for aveeno being owned by J&J, may very well be. I'm not one to avoid brands all together, but look at their ingredients. I don't typically buy J&J products, but love their baby mineral sunscreen.  I also am not a fan of all Aveeno products, but a few are gentle and don't contain some of the mentioned chemicals. 

sure, new studies come out and you say "oops"...like how I carried my newborn in a sling all day long, just to find out months later they were found to be a suffocation hazard! but I still like to hear about the latest, then can make an informed decision. 

• imageMrsPatterson:
    The only reason we don't use it is because it exacerbated DS' eczema.  We switched to Aveeno Baby.

Aveeno Baby is a JJ product also.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We use California Baby. I like to be able to read the ingredients and know what they all mean. It lasts a long time ($) and the fact that there are ingredients in Johnson and Johnson baby products that are known to cause cancer is terrifying. Yes, J&J has been around a long time but I would guess that the dangerous additions are a relatively recent addition to the product. Similar to the situation about what is found in our food today. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I understand being frustrated with the amount of information out there, especially when it can seem conflicting.  I choose to use all-natural products on DD (I should be better about it for myself, too) because I just don't trust all the chemicals that are in many products (particularly baby products, surprisingly).  Just because something is deemed safe by the FDA now doesn't mean that won't change down the road (they are quite slow with this process).  And many chemicals that are deemed safe have been found to be cancer-causing.  There are more chemicals and toxins in our environment now then there ever have been; why not try to avoid them as much as we can?

And ditto PP who brought up the EWG's website.  This is an excellent site, especially for sunblock.

https://www.ewg.org/featured/727

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagemurfygirl:
    imageSailorGray:
    imagewarwickbride06:

I agree with this. I personally don't have time, energy or money to get my arms up in a wad over every article I read on the internet.

This. We use a hodge podge of washes. I tend to stick with aveeno and aquaphor baby wash but will buy the organic stuff from time to time if the price is right. I don't believe organic is always better. Some products are misleading with their labeling and slap an all natural or made from organic materials label on it and people think of course it must be better. Hen you go and read the label and realize it is the same chemicals in both products.
  • imagefirst-time-mama:
    I agree with pp that says everytime we turn on the news there is a new article saying what not to do or saying something has changed.  I feel like everytime I turn around something else is causing cancer.  I just think we have to do what we feel as parents are right.  No I dont think we should dis-regard everything but we def need to pick battles.  I even heard the other day that sunscreen is being linking to causing cancer.  Just sayin.

Sunscreen is- there are several chemicals in it, along with added Vit. A, which have been proven to cause cancer.

Sunblock, on the other hand, as long as it has a physical blocker like Zinc Oxide, or the other one (titanium something or other) are perfectly safe. You look like a vampire from Twilight, but you don't get burned, and you're not putting yet another chemical in your body.

For those who say they can't worry about every chemical they come across- you're right, you can't. But by being more aware of the ones that are easily avoidable, just by making other choices that are generally available at the same place you purchase the offending product, you can reduce your exposure and risk. For me, it's a no-brainer.

• imagewarwickbride06:

sure, new studies come out and you say "oops"...like how I carried my newborn in a sling all day long, just to find out months later they were found to be a suffocation hazard! but I still like to hear about the latest, then can make an informed decision. 

Not all slings are suffocation hazards, just FTR. The Infantino ones are among the worst offenders, but other slings like ring slings and pocket slings are perfectly safe, when used correctly.

• imageALG29:
    imagemurfygirl:
    imageSailorGray:
    imagewarwickbride06:

This. We use a hodge podge of washes. I tend to stick with aveeno and aquaphor baby wash but will buy the organic stuff from time to time if the price is right. I don't believe organic is always better. Some products are misleading with their labeling and slap an all natural or made from organic materials label on it and people think of course it must be better. Hen you go and read the label and realize it is the same chemicals in both products.

This is very true.  The "all-natural" claim isn't regulated at all and anyone can slap it on their product.  And you're right that organic isn't necessarily better, especially when it comes to skin care.  There are plenty of reasonably priced products out there that are safe.  You just have to do your homework. 

To those that are interested, I would suggest taking a quick look on the EWG's site of the products you use to see what kind of rating they get.  Then browse the high-rated products to find one that's available at your store.  I try to stick with a 1-2 rating, but sometimes will also use a 3.  Alba Kids SPF 30 sunblock has a 2 rating, for example, and at $10 for 4 oz. is a lot cheaper than the other good ones, like Badger, Jason, Kiss My Face, etc. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • There are a TON of chemicals that are not good for the skin. They use an ingredient called "fragrance mixture" that is especially irritating. It's in the top 29 most common skin allergens that we test for when we do allergy testing.
    Camryn Grace ~ July 6th, 2009 ~ 7lbs 9oz, 20.5" Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image
    Brayden Richard Drew ~ December 20, 2010~7lbs 9oz, 20" Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"