Food Allergy

Another allergy testing ?

Do you have to be a certain age to do the blood test?  My twins have had blood in their stool twice now Sad  I hate the trial/waiting period of finding out what the problem is.  I plan to ask the pedi too, but just wondering about your experiences.  Thanks!

Re: Another allergy testing ?

• Jacob got the blood test at 9m and skin at 10m. I have heard that neither are super accurate before age 3, but its better to know something. I doubt you would get a false positive, imo, its more likely to get a false negative, but I am just assuming. Definitely ask the doc cuz something must be wrong with troubles like that :( What about trying a different formula or if bfing, you could cut dairy for a couple weeks and see if that helps? GL to you!!

Jacob Alexander 7/23/09
    Allergic to Dairy, Eggs and Peanuts Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Jameson Adam 6/1/11
    Allergic to Peas...so far Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • DD was first tested at 6 months, and I plan on getting DS tested asap, and he's almost 7 months.  They only did the blood test at this age, and waited on the skin testing until a year.
  • Loading the player...
  • I have a friend whose DS was given a blood test around 6m when they suspected allergies.
  • vlahopvlahop member

Thank you for your replies.  They are BFed, and I have cut out all obvious dairy, but I think I have to learn more about reading labels.  I have been pumping at work and my supply is dimimishing, so I have been thinking of putting them on alimentum (sp?) soon just to see if it makes a difference.  I have a month's worth of frozen BM though Crying Not sure if I will ever get to use it.

They are the happiest babies, you would never know anything is wrong.  I do not think they are in any pain, and their skin is clear.  The only sign of trouble is the blood in their stool.  It has actually only happened to each baby once and it was 2 weeks apart.  Very wierd...

• I think it depends on the doctor. My doctor wanted to wait until he's one but then ended up having a ana reaction and we needed to go sooner (which was at 8 months).  If there is blood in the stool i would call the pedi imminently.  My son never had blood in his stool -but an ANA reaction.  My friend's daughter had blood in her stool but it filled the entire diaper and they went to the ER.. so it also depends how much blood. 

In the mean time, cut out all cows milk / soy / eggs or anything that contains it (including casein)

• imagevlahop:

Thank you for your replies.  They are BFed, and I have cut out all obvious dairy, but I think I have to learn more about reading labels.  I have been pumping at work and my supply is dimimishing, so I have been thinking of putting them on alimentum (sp?) soon just to see if it makes a difference.  I have a month's worth of frozen BM though Crying Not sure if I will ever get to use it.

They are the happiest babies, you would never know anything is wrong.  I do not think they are in any pain, and their skin is clear.  The only sign of trouble is the blood in their stool.  It has actually only happened to each baby once and it was 2 weeks apart.  Very wierd...

hopefully that was something else since it happened once.  I know my neighboors daughter had it once and our pedi said to give her a call if it happens again -hopefully that is a good sign.

Don't throw out your milk yet. You never know.  I had to throw out over 300 oz and i cried for hours while i was dumping it.  

• imagevlahop:

There are other things that cause blood in stool than allergies. Google "Kellymom and blood in stool" and the link should come up. I can't do it now because I'm at work. It might not be an allergy.

Also, those labels are tricky. Read carefully.

IAmPregnant Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DS#3 has the RAST at seven months because he kept having reactions even after we eliminated cows milk (which clearly was an issue for him).  I would contact an allergist who has experience with kids so you can find out what you are dealing with.

Good luck! 

My twins are 5! My baby is 3!

DS#2 - Allergic to Cashew, Pistachio, Kiwi

DS#3 - Allergic to Milk, Egg, Peanut, Tree Nuts and Sesame

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"