Food Allergy
Options

Scary moment yesterday...

DS tested positive to eggs and peanuts with a blood test last summer. Both were very low, but he's has several reactions to eggs - scrambled, mayo and ranch - breaking out in hives. He has never reacted to peanuts even though I used to eat it while holding him and everything before we found out about the possible allergy. Anyway, because it's such a mild allergy, the allergist said we could keep giving the girls PB but to keep it on the table and wash their hands as soon as they were done. Within the last few days, DS has figured out how to climb on the kitchen chairs. You can see where this is leading. Both DH and I were zoned out yesterday morning while the girls finished their breakfast. All of a sudden, i realized DS had climbed in DD1's chair and gotten the last piece of English muffin...with PB. I flew over there and grabbed it. I'm not sure if he quite got it in his mouth or if it was just close. I gave him Benedryl and washed his hands and face, of course. I also had the epi pen on hand just in case. Good news is he was fine. Of course, now I want to just stop giving PB to the girls or anyone until we have DS retested. DH says since DS never reacted, he must not be allergic and I shouldn't worry so much. WWYD? Am i being neurotic? Or am I being too lax?

Re: Scary moment yesterday...

• Options

Peanut allergies are scary.  I personally do not have ANY PB or "made in a facility" products in my house.  My LO is at the age now where he gets into everything food related.  Nothing is safe.  Not to mention if MIL or my mom is watching him and doesn't think to check the label. 

Per my allergist - with every exposure to peanuts the body gets more and more used to it and knows how to react quicker.  So what starts out as hives could easily lead to a ana reaction the next time. 

IMO you need to either be a PB police and lock that crap up beyond toddler reach or make your house a peanut free zone.  I know it feels like you are making the rest of you suffer but IMO it's worth the peace of mind. 

• Options
    That is scary!  Thankfully we aren't there yet, but E does have a nut allergy, so I'm sure episodes like this are in our future.  Have you tried sunflower butter?  It's pretty close to peanut butter taste wise.  It's expensive, but worth it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageSallyJean95:

Peanut allergies are scary.  I personally do not have ANY PB or "made in a facility" products in my house.  My LO is at the age now where he gets into everything food related.  Nothing is safe.  Not to mention if MIL or my mom is watching him and doesn't think to check the label. 

Per my allergist - with every exposure to peanuts the body gets more and more used to it and knows how to react quicker.  So what starts out as hives could easily lead to a ana reaction the next time. 

IMO you need to either be a PB police and lock that crap up beyond toddler reach or make your house a peanut free zone.  I know it feels like you are making the rest of you suffer but IMO it's worth the peace of mind. 

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!! 

• Options

That is scary!  I don't think you are being neurotic.  There is no way to know how severe his reaction could be.  You are just protecting your baby!

Is there any chance you could get your DD's to switch to Sunbutter or Soy Nut butter instead of peanut butter?  I only have one child, so I haven't dealt with your situation of having other children who are already used to the allergen.  My home is peanut and tree nut free.  I feel that its important for DS to have a safe haven.  We have to consider the allergy almost every time we leave our home, so I like to make our home a place where we don't have to worry about it.  Another bonus of going nut free is that I don't have to worry that a babysitter or guest in our home will accidentally expose DS to something he can't have.  Like I said, I don't have other children to consider, so obviously its easier.  But, something to think about. 

• Options
    My husband is the only one in the house who can eat peanut products, and we do keep peanut butter on hand for him, out of the kids' reach.  The kids get Sunbutter.  What's impressive to me is that my son is very aware of what he and his sister cannot eat, and he's like a hawk when it comes to other people feeding them.  Even at 4 years old, he understands what the wrong food will do to them (they each have a boatload of allergies and intolerances, plus Celiac).  For younger kids though who do not understand the danger, I would remove those products from the house.  At least until he's at an age where he understands.  Because even if he doesn't have a full-blown anaphylactic reaction, you don't want him getting little exposures over and over (which is inevitable with several young kids in the home, some of whom can have the allergen).  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thanks for all the responses. I think this all was a big wake-up call for us. When the allergist first gave us her suggestions about keeping PB on the top shelf and only having it at the big table, DS was 8 months old, barely crawling and only sitting at the table in his high chair. It's only in the last week that he has figured out how to climb in the kitchen chairs and get to the table. I think it all just caught us unaware and made us realize we need to change the rules at least until we get him retested later this summer. we are fairly certain the positive test for PB is a false positive, but until we know for sure, we're treating it as if he has an allergy just in case.
  • Options

My older boys were never that in to PB anyway but I had it in the house because I enjoyed it.  Then two days in a row DS#3 broke out in hives and I was trying to figure out why.  Turns out I had PB on my english muffin both mornings then kissed him on my way to work.  After that, I banned PB in the house.

If you need to replace PB for your older children you might try this.  I haven't tried it yet but a friend swears it tastes like PB!

https://www.peanutfreeplanet.com/SchoolSafe_SoyButter_by_Hilton_s/182.htm

My twins are 5! My baby is 3!

DS#2 - Allergic to Cashew, Pistachio, Kiwi

DS#3 - Allergic to Milk, Egg, Peanut, Tree Nuts and Sesame

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"