1st Trimester

Lotions and creams for stretch marks?

I was not worried about stretch marks, and was just using my normal lotions......after talking to a few friends, i'm not worried about getting them :(. Do you guys have any recommendations?? I bought some stuff called Tummy butter and some cocoa butter....figured I would give those a try!!
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Lotions and creams for stretch marks?

• tegsstegss member

I tried everything with my first pregnancy, but around 32 weeks, the stretch marks came. :( 

Good luck!

• Stretch marks come from fast weight gain and are hereditary.  I got faint stretch marks my first pregnancy.  I used lotions everyday. So sometimes creams and lotions won't work.  But, staying hydrated helps in that area, too.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I hear it's mostly hereditary. Both my sister and mom have bad ones and lo and behold I have nice silver lightning all around my hips.

the best thing you can do is keep hydrated and start applying lotion now, it may help lessen the amount you get (if you get any)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I still got them with my first about 37 weeks, but I really liked Curel's pregnancy lotion...I got some other as gifts, but that was my favorite.
  • It's mostly hereditary, and depends on how fast you gain the weight, but I think the Palmer's cocoa butter (with the preggo lady on the front) helps.  I used it all last pregnancy and never got a single stretchie.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic IAmPregnant Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Like PPs said, it's hereditary.  Lotions and creams won't do anything to prevent them from showing up.  But they will help relieve the itching from your skin stretching.  I use Mama Mio's tummy rub butter.  I didn't get a single stretch mark in my first pregnancy, but they also don't run in my family. 

• You can lather yourself up all you won't but if you're predisposed to get stretchmarks no amount of cream or lotion will prevent them. Like pp said, they are hereditary and I think it also depends how much weight you gain in the belly (and let's face it, they occur in other spots) and there's nothing you can really do.

That said, if you're going to spend your money anyway, I recommend Burts Bees Mama Bee belly butter. It has a lovely, light scent and isn't overly icky sweet like some other cocoa butter lotions.

But don't be surprised if you put stretch mark lotion on religiously, three times a day and still wind up with stretchies over your belly, hips, thighs and breasts. I've known women who have none until the baby is born and then they show up. Just another badge of motherhood you'll learn to live with. My stretchmarks have stretchmarks. :)

Loss #1 2008, Loss #2 2010, Loss #3 2011, Loss #4 2012, Loss #5 2012
    Loss #6 2014 Loss #7 (chemical) 2014

~DS Born! 2009~
    ~DD Born! 2013~
    ~DD due! 2015~

• imageManderlin923:

You can lather yourself up all you won't but if you're predisposed to get stretchmarks no amount of cream or lotion will prevent them. Like pp said, they are hereditary and I think it also depends how much weight you gain in the belly (and let's face it, they occur in other spots) and there's nothing you can really do.

That said, if you're going to spend your money anyway, I recommend Burts Bees Mama Bee belly butter. It has a lovely, light scent and isn't overly icky sweet like some other cocoa butter lotions.

But don't be surprised if you put stretch mark lotion on religiously, three times a day and still wind up with stretchies over your belly, hips, thighs and breasts. I've known women who have none until the baby is born and then they show up. Just another badge of motherhood you'll learn to live with. My stretchmarks have stretchmarks. :)

Love this! I'm right there with ya! I got stretchmarks with my daughter and like everyone else has said, they are hereditary, so if your mom got them, you will too. It might not be with the first baby, but they will come sooner or later. With this pregnancy I am using Earth Mama Angel Baby's Natural Stretch Oil, and even if it doesn't help keep them away, it's been working wonders for my stretching, itchy belly! Good luck!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie - (uREA)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageManderlin923:

You can lather yourself up all you won't but if you're predisposed to get stretchmarks no amount of cream or lotion will prevent them. Like pp said, they are hereditary and I think it also depends how much weight you gain in the belly (and let's face it, they occur in other spots) and there's nothing you can really do.

Love this! I'm right there with ya! I got stretchmarks with my daughter and like everyone else has said, they are hereditary, so if your mom got them, you will too. It might not be with the first baby, but they will come sooner or later. With this pregnancy I am using Earth Mama Angel Baby's Natural Stretch Oil, and even if it doesn't help keep them away, it's been working wonders for my stretching, itchy belly! Good luck!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie - (uREA)

• I'm pretty terrified of them as well, as they run in my family and are pretty gruesome. I bought raw cocoa butter and melted it down to an oil, and then apply nightly. Voila.
  • They run in my family, so I used Burt's Bees Belly Butter twice a day from 6 weeks on...religiously.  I didn't get one mark!  I know that doesn't work for everyone but you can be sure I'm gonig to do it again next time around.  GL!

• I didn't get any with either DD or DS but my momma didn't with any of her kiddos either...I believe it's just in the genes! I do recommend bio oil..
  • Thanks ladies ;). My mom had 5 kids!! She said with the first two she didn't get any, but with the third one she did....sigh. Guess i'll have to wait it out and see!! Cross my fingers and hope at least that they aren't bad!!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • to me, it was weight gain. i gained 40 with dd1 and got stretchmarks, but 15 and 20 with dd2 and 3 and didnt get any stretchmarks at all. so who knows. i was huuuugeee with 2 and 3 also
    aidan kincaid (12.19.06) sawyer grace (7.30.08) 
    reese madeline (5.11.10) miller paige (2.6.12)
    girl #5 due december 2013.

13 galveston1

IG: punkfictionv4

• Your either going to get them or you aren't no matter how much lotion you put. I use coconut butter, straight up in a jar. I got a TON with DD after using cocoa butter, mama mio lotions, palmers, everything. The coconut butter itself lightened them in just a matter of a week. 
  • imageManderlin923:

This.  I love this stuff.

• I used the regular cocoa butter/preggo lotions religiously and still got them. Stretch marks run in my family and I already had some on my thighs and bottom from a growth spurt in high school.  But I found a Burts Bees product that is amazing. It's called Mama Bee. It's a little greasy at first but it dries.  I promise it's totally worth it. I started getting my stretch marks around 28-30 weeks but they got really bad last week at 37. So I started using the Mama Bee and the stretch marks have actually started to fade, some have disappeared altogether after just like 3 days of use!  I use it about 4 times a day. I got mine at Toys R Us and it was around 7 or 8 dollars, I think. If you use it before you get them you probably are safe. If you start to get them, make sure you take care of them while they're still red/pink. Once they turn silver you're pretty much stuck with them.  Also, try and get a little sun. Don't go overboard tanning but use some spf tanning lotion and sit outside of an hour a day. That will help fade them as well. Just make sure to stay hydrated. Hope this helps :)
  • Two of my girlfriends have recommended Bio Oil.  One used it during her pregnancy and although it did not stop her from getting them, which happened to her at 38 weeks, it did help control the itching and reduce the look of them after.  My other girlfriend found out about it after her second and started using it to help reduce and lesson the look of them, she looks amazing now compared to before and #2 is only 5 months old.  I plan on using it, I haven't started yet, just using regular lotion now, but I'm only 23 weeks right now.
  • I've been using Palmers Cocoa Butter - smells great and makes my skin feel so soft!!!  I use it on my belly, hips and lower back - here's hoping I don't get them too badly.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I tried the cocoa butter method the first time around with no luck. I still look like a zebra at the belly, BUT everyone I know who have used a cream called "mother's friend" have NONE. So I tried it this time, although the damage has already been done, but I dont think I've noticed any new ones...not that I could count. A lady at work even said she used it during pregnancy over 30 yrs ago and she has absolutely none...I wonder if I'd have known the first time would my belly be in this condition. Oh well! Good Luck!Big Smile
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"