Cincinnati Babies

BF and pumping question

DD has been taking 3 four oz bottles of EBM for the last 3.5 months when I'm at work.  So I've been pumping 3 times at work: 9:45, 1ish, and 3:30.  She usually takes the last bottle between 3 and 4:30.  Sometimes when I pick her up around 5:30 she wants to nurse.  I feel like it's more of a "I miss you" thing than an eating thing.  She goes down for the night around 7:30 and nurses again then.  My supply has not been so great in the late evenings (at least I don't think it has) on the days I work.  By 7:30 I don't feel like I have enough milk to satisfy her.  Tonight I had to break down and give her a 2 oz bottle of EBM.  On the days I'm home, she seems fine.  I usually pump enough at work for her 3 bottles and have been getting 2-3 oz extra that I put in the freezer.  Do you think my pumping both sides at 3:30 is the problem or should I be more concerned about my supply?  Would it mess me up if I only pumped 1 side at 3:30??  Any advice is appreciated!

Jennie Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: BF and pumping question

• About how long does she nurse for at 5:30, and does she do it every day?

Nora used to do this too, but I'd just make sure she used both sides before bed and she seemed to get enough. I'd say if you're getting extra during the day, cut back your 3:30 session by an ounce so you've got a little left over for 5:30, but make sure she's BFing at 5:30 pretty much every day or else I'd worry that you'll lose that extra ounce or two during the day. Maybe cut off one side a few minutes before the other side and use the extra left in the one side at 5:30.  

• JLPT830JLPT830 member
    imagel.m.k.:

but make sure she's BFing at 5:30 pretty much every day or else I'd worry that you'll lose that extra ounce or two during the day.

This was my concern too.  She doesn't nurse right after work everyday.  But it's those days that I don't have enough to satisfy her at night.

Jennie Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • My advice is kind of opposite. Pump before you go to bed, like at 10pm or somewhere around there. I do that on most nights when I work and it really helps to keep my supply up. I usually don't get a ton but it tells my body to keep producing and it seems to trick my body into thinking 10pm is the last feeding and not the 7pm. I don't do it on the weekends but doing it at least 3-5 times a week makes a difference and Asher seems satisfied at bedtime. GL!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Ooh, I like MsCooley's suggestion. Good idea.
  • I pumped an additional session with both my kids just before I went to bed a few nights a week and it seemed to help alot!  The first few times I did not get much but it started building it up!  Just remember your body will produce what it thinks she is eating and relax :) 
    Our kids are 19mths apart and we LOVE it!!

Married to my BFF on 8.13.05 (after dating 5 years)!

DS born 2.14.08. DD born 9.30.09.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"