Oregon Babies
Options

Moving to Portland, advice needed!

My husband was asked to transfer to Portland for one year.  We now live in Charlotte, NC and I have never been to Oregon.  I would love any recommendations on where to live (he will be working in the NW Portland area) as well as preschools.  I have a 3 year old and an (almost) 2 year old who are registered for preschool down here next year.  I am looking for a play based preschool, half day (2-3 days a week).  Any other information would be great!  We live so close to family now I am very nervous about this potential move.  (We would be going mid-July).  

Thanks in advance! 

BabyFetus Ticker Blessed with a girl and boy, number 3 due 5/5/12!

Re: Moving to Portland, advice needed!

• Options
    Welcome!!!  Scappose area is good, st. johns area is nice...I guess those are good places to start.  Try to stay away from SE Portland and North Portland areas
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Well, it all depends on what kind of community you are wanting to live in, how much you are wanting to spend etc.  My hubby also works in NW Portland but we live on the border of Hillsboro/Beaverton right on the max stop and so he takes the max to work and back every day.  It all depends on what you are looking for.
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Portland is a city of very livable neighborhoods. Are you looking for a suburban or urban experience. I live in North Portland, Arbor Lodge to be exact, which is just a short trip to the city center. Inner NE and inner SE offer great neighborhoods as well. Check out https://www.portlandneighborhood.com/ for a description of all different neighborhoods.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

You are gonna get a lot of "well that depends..."

We need more info! Stick out tongue

- What is your price range for a house or apt. Do you prefer a house or apt?

- Are you looking for an urban or suburban environment?

- Will you need public transportation for you and/or your husband?

Happy to help once we get this answered. Overall Portland is a fantastic city. There are very few "bad" areas... mostly that's a relative term based upon what you are used to and and you are looking for!

• Options
    imagepdxjenn:

You are gonna get a lot of "well that depends..."

We need more info! Stick out tongue

- What is your price range for a house or apt. Do you prefer a house or apt?

- Are you looking for an urban or suburban environment?

- Will you need public transportation for you and/or your husband?

Happy to help once we get this answered. Overall Portland is a fantastic city. There are very few "bad" areas... mostly that's a relative term based upon what you are used to and and you are looking for!

This, exactly.

Welcome!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Thanks Ladies!  It will be a corporate apartment type situation so I am looking for specific areas I should say no to, or look for if we are given the opportunity.  (No clue on what they are willing to pay.  We have yet to get a lot of details.)

1)  yes to access to public transportation

2) Suburbs are fine, but near parks, libraries etc is good

3) Family friendly area is a must

Thank you for all of your responses, wish I had more information!

BabyFetus Ticker Blessed with a girl and boy, number 3 due 5/5/12!
  • Options
    If you can afford it, NW Portland is a fabulous place to live.  The area near Chapman Elementary is very family friendly and so close to everything.  I also really like inner-NE, Grant Park and Hollywood areas.  Very easy commute downtown as well as many family friendly amenities, like parks, shopping, libraries, etc.  
  • Options
    Forgot to mention...look on the Urban Mamas website for tons of info regarding preschools in the area.  There are many to choose from depending on what you are looking for.  
  • Options

NW would be great for transportation and lots to do... the park situation is a bit limited though. I would look into SW Portland or close in SE.

Good luck on the move and welcome!

• Options

imageDeadOktober:
    Welcome!!!  Scappose area is good, st. johns area is nice...I guess those are good places to start.  Try to stay away from SE Portland and North Portland areas
    '

I completely disagree with this advice.  You couldn't pay me to live in St Johns, I used to work there and didn't feel safe walking from my car into Subway by myself.   Also, Scappoose?  Really?

There are very nice pockets in NE and SE Portland, and not so nice pockets, literally with one street dividing the nice from the not as nice.  You will just have to drive around and see what you like and what you don't like.

As far as preschools, it depends on what neighborhood you settle in, but Belmont Academy gets great reviews in my circle of friends.

If your husband's work gives you a list of available corporate housing, we could help you narrow down the list.  I know there's some nice corporate housing on Harrison Street down by Portland State University, I would live in that building in a heartbeat!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

imageDeadOktober:

nonono.  Plus St. Johns IS North Portland...

• Options
    In terms of family friendly areas I would most definitely stay in S Portland, I'm a fan of SE myself, but cost of living seems better in SW. 
    image Nora Marie born Monday, March 5, 2012 at 5:25pm weighing 7lbs. 2 oz. and 20.5 inches Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageDaisypath Wedding tickers Mom*Tog - For moms who love digital photography
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"