April 2011 Moms
Options

Anyone's LOs have a heart murmur?

The pedi just noticed a heart murmur LO has developed at his 1 month appt today. She said they almost always outgrow them and I know it's not usually a big deal, but it's nerve-wracking still! His legs were purple on day so she checked his blood pressures to make sure we didn't have to rush to the hospital for an echo! But she still wants one done by the end of the week. LO's a big baby still too! His head is in the 99th percentile, his length the 94th, and his weight the 86th!
photo newsig2_zps17ef14af.jpg

Re: Anyone's LOs have a heart murmur?

• Options
    My DS just had an echo yesterday morning for the same reason. We're still waiting for the actual diagnosis from the Cardiologist, but  the echo tech said it looked like one of the things they outgrow. Your pedi said the same thing ours did so I'm sure it's the same situation. Good luck! Make sure to bring LO's favorite things to soothe/calm them during the echo so they lay still. My DS sucked away on his paci. Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker image
  • Options
    willstwillst member
    My pedi noticed one at 2 weeks and it ended up being a small PDA and nothing to worry about. We were concerned until we knew also. I'm sure it will be fine, but positive thoughts your way!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yep, Hannah went to the cardiologist back in mid-April. She has an innocent heart murmur. The appointment went better than I would have thought - the u/s was about 10 min long and she did great!
  • Options
    My DD has two holes in her heart, a 2mm VSD that was diagnosed prenatally at her anatomy scan and a 5mm ASD that was diagnosed after she was born. The only symptom she has is a heart murmur. The VSD is too small to be an issue but the ASD needs to close or at least shrink by the time she's 2. Otherwise she might need surgery.

But that's just my story. There are lots of reasons for heart murmurs. My nephew had one that went away without ever finding the cause. Good luck and try not to worry too much about it yet.
  • Options
    I've had a heart murmur that they noticed when I was born.  If it makes you feel any better, it hasn't affected my life at all (I'm a runner, etc.).  Don't fret!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    They noticed one at his weight check appointment (3.5 weeks) and we had scheduled an appointment with the cardiologist but since they couldn't get us in until the end of the month he has his 1 month checkup (at about 5 weeks) first and it was completely gone so the peditrician had us cancel the appointment and she still heard nothing at his two month appointment either. She had said there was a hole that often closes up around the 1 month mark but right before it closes the sound gets louder so that is what it probably was. We were definetly nervous too but then we found out that both my nieces had the same thing so we felt a little better but were glad once it was gone. It is common so try not to stress just get it checked out just in case. To date they've told me the fluid in his brain was on the high end of normal (held steady in ultrasounds and he hasn't had any complications since birth), he didn't have enough skin to be circumsized (discovered it could be stretched and they did the procedure), was tongue tied (decided his range of motion was fine), had a heart murmer (went away), wasn't gaining enough weight (now is eating like a champ) and had reflux (we are on medicine now). I am glad all of those things worked themselves out but I swear i have a million more grey hairs, welcome to mommyhood I guess =/
    The bumpie formerly known as First Time in MI
  • Options
    Nolan had a VSD.  THey noticed the murmur the day we were getting discharged.  He had pressures done on all four extremities, pulse ox done, and ECG.  They had told us the ECG was normal but the doctor called a week later (after it was read at Cincinnati Childrens) and said it showed soemthing else...I freaked out.  I am a nurse by trade so I know a lot more than i want to..  But we got into Childrens Cardiologist that day and they did an ECHO (which LO did great at.. it was about 15 min long) and she listened and said it was a small tony VSD (hole in his heart).  We went back last week for his 6 week checkup and it had since closed and she didnt hear it.  I am so thankful for that.  Everything will be ok with your LO.  Thoughts and prayers for you.. i know what u are going through.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"