April 2011 Moms

How many wipes do you use per diaper change?

I was just curious to know how many wipes, on average, you use when you change LO's diaper.  I've found that I use 3-4 on average regardless of whether it's a cloth diaper or a disposable Seventh Gen. diaper.

I'm asking because I ordered a box of 960 wipes on May 4 and we are down to about 280 at this point.  They're Earth's Best wipes if that makes any difference.  I feel like that's sort of crazy and wasteful to go through wipes so quickly but, I dunno, maybe it's normal?

natural m/c 7.1.10 :|: sticky baby 4.25.11 :|: #2 due 5.18.13 BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: How many wipes do you use per diaper change?

• I only went through one package of wipes before I realized they weren't for me. We just use a warm, wet wash cloth, now. I feel like she gets a lot cleaner, I can get in all the little leg rolls and crevices, and I'm not being wasteful.

I keep it by the sink, and basically run it under super hot steamy water for a few minutes, ring it out, then clean her off. When I'm done I do the same and make sure it gets really clean for next time. Every couple days I just throw it in the washer and grab a clean one. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I use cloth wipes.  I keep them wet and ready to use.  I'll only use one per change and I wash them with my cloth diapers.  I did use disposable wipes while we were out of town this weekend and I would use two to four of them per change.  I definitely prefer cloth.
    Chase was born 4/23/2011
    Carlene was born 4/18/2014                          A14 siggy challenge:  Junk Food
    image  image image

• Loading the player...
  • One wipe for wet diapers and more for dirty diapers especially if they've had a particularly messy diaper in which case it is anywhere from two to five wipes depending on the child. I use more on Amelia than Owen because I try to make sure that I've gotten all of her folds clean so the last wipe is usually just a quick check.
                                                 Rainbow - Married - 5/31/03
                                               Christian Alexander - 11/13/06
                                        Amelia Rose & Owen Thomas - 3/29/11

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie - (eGB2)
    Be The Match - and help save a life by signing up for the National Marrow Donor Program.
  • We also use cloth wipes - I keep a spray bottle on his changing table and I've found the cheap pack of circo wash cloths from target work best.
  • kje120kje120 member
    Depends on how bad it is. 1 for just wet diapers and anywhere from 1 to 4 for dirty ones.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Another cloth wipe user. Although, sometimes the diaper change is in the middle of a poo and then I go through a a few cloth ones as well.

I also use a fresh wipe every diaper change and wash them with my cloth diapers. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I use one, maybe two if its a bad poopy diaper.  I just fold them after each wipe..I know I used a lot with DD#1 in the beginning until I realized I was being wasteful.  We go through them a lot more these days since we have two in diapers but I know it would take quite a while to go through 960 wipes.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • cloth wipes :) usually 1, sometimes 2 - I use a spray bottle, because my changing table isn't anywhere near a sink- they get washed with the dipes - super easy!
  • One, two if he's really dirty but that's not too common.
  • imageLittleDelany:
    One, two if he's really dirty but that's not too common.

This 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

I never held you, but I always loved you.
    Baby Squirt- September 2009
    Baby Turtle- May 2010
    Baby Surprise- August 2011
  • I use 1 wipe for a wet diaper, and usually 3 for a dirty diaper. My husband uses at least double what I use. :/
    Pregnancy Ticker 
    DS - 2 years old
  • imagekestock120:
    Depends on how bad it is. 1 for just wet diapers and anywhere from 1 to 4 for dirty ones.

This, pretty much. She can have impressively gross poopy diapers at times, and it takes a few wipes and a warm wash cloth to get it all off.

• When our children were first born we used a wet washcloth and rinsed it with steaming hot water between uses.

Now we use Kirkland wipes for DS and Pampers Sensitive wipes for DD. I usually only use one wipe. Sometimes I need a second if it a really messy diaper. I use to use more, but I don't want to be wasteful so I'm systematic with my wiping now.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Cloth wipes at home.  I second pp about the circo brand washcloths at Target.  They are perfect and cheap.  I have a wipes warmer at my changing table.  I just pour 2 cups of water in the warmer with the washcloths, and they are ready to go.  I have about 30 washcloths, and I also wash them with my CDs.

I use disposable wipes on the road.  It takes usually 1 wipe for potty and lots for poop.  So many I lose count.  

BFP#1 "Watermelon" born 3/2011
    BFP#2 "Pumpkin" 7/14/12 ~ EDD 3/23/13 ~ Natural M/C 8/3/12 @ 7 weeks
    BFP#3 "Pineapple"  born 4/2013
    BFP#4 "Grapefruit" EDD 3/29/16
  • BLM10BLM10 member
    1 for wet, 2-3 for dirty
  • BLM10BLM10 member
    imagevirginiagirl11:

I was just curious to know how many wipes, on average, you use when you change LO's diaper.  I've found that I use 3-4 on average regardless of whether it's a cloth diaper or a disposable Seventh Gen. diaper.

I'm asking because I ordered a box of 960 wipes on May 4 and we are down to about 280 at this point.  They're Earth's Best wipes if that makes any difference.  I feel like that's sort of crazy and wasteful to go through wipes so quickly but, I dunno, maybe it's normal?

i just did the math on this and that puts you at about 24 wipes a day, or about 3 a change like you said. does seem excessive for wet diapers, but i don't use EB wipes so they may be smaller/thinner/drier than what i use, requiring more.

• vilarovilaro member
    I use two wipes for wet and 3-4 wipes for poop. We use a lot of wipes in this house. It is what it is.
    TTC #2
    BFP 3/28/16 (EDD 12/9/16) * Chemical pregnancy
    ME: 40 yrs.old
    DH: 41 yrs.old
    DD: 5 yrs.

• imagevilaro:
    I use two wipes for wet and 3-4 wipes for poop. We use a lot of wipes in this house. It is what it is.
    This. I try not to worry about it too much. At least I know DD is clean, right? And don't be hatin', but she only poops once a day so we still don't go through wipes very fast. 
  • imageMamabirdtoBe:

I only went through one package of wipes before I realized they weren't for me. We just use a warm, wet wash cloth, now. I feel like she gets a lot cleaner, I can get in all the little leg rolls and crevices, and I'm not being wasteful.

I keep it by the sink, and basically run it under super hot steamy water for a few minutes, ring it out, then clean her off. When I'm done I do the same and make sure it gets really clean for next time. Every couple days I just throw it in the washer and grab a clean one. 

This exactly.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • 1 disposable wipe for wet diapers; 1-2 wash cloths (also Circo from Target) for a dirty diaper.
    Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• Thanks, everyone.  It sounds like I am using too many.  I've started trying to use fewer and I may start doing some cloth wipes with spray bottles.  I like that idea!
    natural m/c 7.1.10 :|: sticky baby 4.25.11 :|: #2 due 5.18.13 BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageMissLadyTay:
    I use 1 wipe for a wet diaper, and usually 3 for a dirty diaper. My husband uses at least double what I use. :/

This is pretty much what I do too, and my husband! I use 1 for wet, unless he decides to go again while I'm changing him. 3-4 for dirty diapers unless it's a blow out. That can end up being 5 sometimes. It does seem like we go through a lot of wipes sometimes. My husband is a bit of a germaphobe, so he'll use way too many so he doesn't get anything on his hands. I think I need to limit his supply! 

Lilypie - (MLGF)Lilypie - (yERV)
      Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• We use cloth wipes.

Pee - one wipe

poop - 1-5 wipes depending. and DS only poops once every 3-4 days so they are pretty huge and definitely require so serious wiping.  zthere is usually poop everywhere the diaper touches.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"