Cincinnati Babies

Random Questions

1. For those of you who skipped straight to the full-size bed for your toddler, what kind/brand bed rails do you use? What do you (dis)like about them?

2. I want to purchase some blackout curtains for J's new room. Any recommendations? I don't want to spend a fortune.

3. I could've sworn that I received a PBK coupon (code) in the mail, a few weeks ago; but, of course, now I can't find it anywhere. Does anyone have one that they aren't planning to use?

ASIDE: teething is FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN! Indifferent

Re: Random Questions

• imageTtimes3:

1. For those of you who skipped straight to the full-size bed for your toddler, what kind/brand bed rails do you use? What do you (dis)like about them?

2. I want to purchase some blackout curtains for J's new room. Any recommendations? I don't want to spend a fortune.

3. I could've sworn that I received a PBK coupon (code) in the mail, a few weeks ago; but, of course, now I can't find it anywhere. Does anyone have one that they aren't planning to use?

ASIDE: teething is FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN! Indifferent

1. We have had 3 weeks of FAIL of epic proportions trying to get DS to transition to his toddler bed/room. It's been awful. So this weekend we took out his converted toddler bed, set up the queen bed that had been in there before (it was a guest room).. we put it against the wall on 2 sides.. so the head and side are up against the walls and we just put the box spring and mattress on the floor... it's still very high as the mattress is a pillow top (we have a cape cod style old house and the room is very rectangular... works perfectly) 

And seriously what do you know??? He never tried to get out and slept ALL night in it... and for nap too. I feel like a moron.. he simply needed more space (he was used to bedsharing with us even though he spent many good nights and naps in his crib) Anyway, I got a toddler rail at Target.. the munchkin brand. I needed something immediately and didn't have time to go to BBB or BRU... I was intending to use it until I get something better but it seems to work just fine and it's long and high enough even with our huge mattress.

Anyway, great idea to go straight to a double bed... our toddler bed try was horrible... he was getting arms/lets stuck in the rails and loosing his paci. Hopefully it's an easy transition! 

2. I had my Mom make the curtains.. she actually just bought blackout material and sewed it to the curtain so it lays perfectly.. know anyone that can sew? That was our best option and by far the least expensive.

3. Let me look.. I swear I got one too and don't need it.

Teething is my nemesis. Good luck. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I can only help with #2.  We bought the blackout lining and lined DD's shade (she has a cloth roll-up shade in her room).  Target also makes blackout liners you attach to the curtains, then you aren't stuck with the few options for the ones that are already lined.  The lining though is really cheap at JoAnn's, it's in the decorator fabric section.
  • Loading the player...
  • 1.  I think they are Summer Infant, but I can't seem to find a link to the exact ones we have.  They're supposed to be able to fold and hide-a-way, but we don't bother doing that. 

2.  We have the Eclipse brand from Target, they come in a decent amount of colors.

• Wish I had a PBK coupon for you!

We decided to go with blackout shades in Mason's room and just regular curtains. I can't remember the brand of shade, we got it at Lowes. Joe thinks it's Levolor. Works great, on a bright sunny day when we pull the shades the room is completely dark. We just measured the width of the windows and went to lowes and they vut them for us on the spot. Just another option, not sure if it's cheaper or more expensive then the blackout curtains.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers image
  • BTW the shades look like an acordian with a button on the bottom that you press to raise or lower them, no strings.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers image
  • 1. For those of you who skipped straight to the full-size bed for your toddler, what kind/brand bed rails do you use? What do you (dis)like about them? Just picked up the Safety First Rails at BRU. They worked. The only thing I don't like about the rails were that you can't really keep the bed "made". You kind of have to push the blankets around the rails. Other than that, they did their job. We got the rails that you could place on both side of the bed.

I just used blackout fabric from the store and my mom stitched them into the existing curtains. It was the cheapest way when Hobby Lobby had the fabric 50% off. Does anyone in your family sew?

Sorry -  I didn't get one or I would pass it along.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Katie: 1/16/08 2lbs. 15oz.
    Abby & Emily: 12/31/10 6lbs. 2oz. & 5lbs. 7oz.
  • We have a hand me down bedrail, not sure of the brand. JC Penney's for blackout cutting when they are on sale and with a coupon.
    image Ready to rumble.
  • We have the rails from BRU that fold down and slide under the mattress, which is nice. But we've used the Safety 1st rails on vacation and I liked those a lot. They were higher than the ones we have.

Photo by Melissa Nicole Photography

imageimage
  • JLPT830JLPT830 member
    imageIAM4UK:

1. For those of you who skipped straight to the full-size bed for your toddler, what kind/brand bed rails do you use? What do you (dis)like about them? Just picked up the Safety First Rails at BRU. They worked. The only thing I don't like about the rails were that you can't really keep the bed "made". You kind of have to push the blankets around the rails. Other than that, they did their job. We got the rails that you could place on both side of the bed.

Ditto this!  In fact we just took them off a month or so ago and he does great!  

2.  DS's came from JCP.  If I can ever get my ever-lovin act together, DD's are coming from PBK.

Jennie Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageJLPT830:
    imageIAM4UK:

1. For those of you who skipped straight to the full-size bed for your toddler, what kind/brand bed rails do you use? What do you (dis)like about them? Just picked up the Safety First Rails at BRU. They worked. The only thing I don't like about the rails were that you can't really keep the bed "made". You kind of have to push the blankets around the rails. Other than that, they did their job. We got the rails that you could place on both side of the bed.

2.  DS's came from JCP.  If I can ever get my ever-lovin act together, DD's are coming from PBK.

FYI, Jennie: Blackout curtains were definitely something I saw at the PBK outlet in Jeffersonville. I debated getting some for the new baby's room. What color is your DD's nursery? I'm pretty sure I saw lavender.

Photo by Melissa Nicole Photography

imageimage
  • We've got the cheap blackout curtains from Target (12.99 a panel) and they work pretty well but they are u-g-l-y. They make the room much darker than it was but it's definitely not pitch black during the day. I have been meaning to find nice fabric and sew it to the front of the panels to make them look nicer, but that hasn't happened.
  • JLPT830JLPT830 member
    imagecops_wife:
    imageJLPT830:
    imageIAM4UK:

FYI, Jennie: Blackout curtains were definitely something I saw at the PBK outlet in Jeffersonville. I debated getting some for the new baby's room. What color is your DD's nursery? I'm pretty sure I saw lavender.

Ooooo.....DH would be so proud of me if I got them for cheaper than reg price!  This is what I am trying to get....in the green.  Do you think they could tell me if they are in stock if I call?

Jennie Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • we used the toddler bed feature on Bens crib for like 30 seconds...it was awful! He would wander around, fall out of bed etc. When we switched him to a full we initally pushed one side up to the wall and the other side we got a safety first rail that is pretty long. He probably didnt even need the rail because he slept like a log :)

2: no clue

3. no clue

...yes teething can go to hell. Nathan has 5 teeth in less than 2 months time..no thank you.

• We went straight to a twin, does that count? We use the Summer brand Sure and Secure bed rail. They come in single and double.

She's been in her bed a year and we've never had a single problem or malfunction with the bed rail.  
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • 1.  We went to a twin because Ethan's crib got recalled and we already had a twin bed.  We put the headboard and one side against a wall, and were planning to get the magic bumpers that Kel recommends but tried a pillow tucked under the fitted sheet first and that has always worked for us, so we never needed to buy them.

2.  We have navy Eclipse panels from Target.  They darken the room but don't make it pitch black, there is still a little light that peeks in from around the edges.  Ethan doesn't seem to mind and still naps fine during the day.

3.  I had one but just checked and it expired May 23.  Looks like they had sent one in April as well, totally unusual, so maybe they are being affected by the economy and are actually going to start giving us some regular coupons!!  I also have a gigantic stack of mail/catalogs to go through, so if I find one I will let you know :)

Hope you get some rest and those darn teeth go ahead and pop through!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"