April 2011 Moms
Options

Question for moms of 2+ (lurking from July '11 board)

I'm starting to stress about the baby will affect DD's sleeping, and hoping some of you might be able to help.

Our house is quite small, and our master bedroom shares a wall with DD's room. My side of the bed is less than 10 steps to her crib and I can literally hear her breathing from my bed. We sleep with both of our doors open - her room and our room. So obviously when the baby arrives and is up in the middle of the night (in our room), DD will hear it.

She's a GREAT sleeper -- she STTN at 10wks by herself and has always been a dream at bedtime. But on the rare occassion that she's been up in the middle of the night, we never know what to do about it. Has your LO#1 been waking when the baby cries? Do you go in and soothe LO#1, or leave them to go back to sleep on their own? Any tips for how to handle?

ETA: Eventually, we may have the LOs share a room (after 3mos). Then I'll have a whole other set of worries on my hands! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Question for moms of 2+ (lurking from July '11 board)

• Options
    Our rooms are close (not as close as yours) but my DD has never woke up because of DS.  However, DD sleeps with a sound machine and it masks most of the noise in the house anyway.  Maybe you could consider getting one for her room?

1st pregnancy: m/c began 1/12/09 d&c 1/13/09 8wks. Baby stopped growing at about 6wks.

Delaney: Born 10/15/09

Gavin: Born 4/8/11

Baby #3: due July 10, 2014

• Options

I was worried about this as well.  My DD1 is three and a pretty good sleeper as well.  She woke up with the baby the first 2-3 nights and now sleeps through it or if she does wake up she goes right back to sleep.  I think she just adjusted to the sleep along with everything else.

If only the jealousy was this easy to fix. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    DS1 is a very light sleeper but DS2 has never woken him up. We all sleep with our doors shut, not completely though.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Ds is 27 months and sttn (started at one year though!).  He sleeps with his door open.  Dd (8 weeks) shares a wall with ds.  You can hear whispers and conversations through the walls, easily.  Ds can easily hear Jolie cry when he is awake (baby cry, go get her), but has never woken up when she cries at night.  I don't let her cry for long though, so that might have something to do with it (I go to her and she quiets down quickly when I get there).  The times when she's cried for a minute or two and won't settle, ds hasn't woken up.  He also has a white noise machine, so that might help. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    NannaNanna member
    None of our kids have ever been woken up by a crying sibling.  We use white noise machines in all the rooms and I think it helps tremendously.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    ncbellencbelle member

E crying doesn't seem to wake C up.  However, his sleep has gone down the crapper since she arrived - as in he wakes at night more than she does!  Hopefully, that won't happen to you though!

We do help C back to sleep when he wakes.  Usually, he just wants to be tucked back in and reassured that he still is loved too ;-)

• Options
    For now, DD sleeps with us but our master doesn't share a wall with DS's room. He sleeps with a very small, noisy fan in his room for white noise. We always closed his door when we put him to bed at night and then opened it when we went to bed for the night. We'd have his door and our door open overnight. Now we close his door and keep it closed. I think he's woken up a a few times. I'm not sure if it was DD's crying or a coincidence. He didn't fuss/cry long as we let him be and he put himself back to sleep. A couple of times DS fell asleep in the car and slept through DD's crying. I was so thankful for that because eventually we hope to have them share a room. Normally if we walk into his room he immediately wakes up, no matter how quiet we are. Since DD was born I've been able to go into DS's room to get something without disturbing him. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    QTeeQTee member

This was a big problem for us the first month, but I think it's because my daughter is 5. She is just more aware of what's going on then she was when she was 2 or 3. She wouldn't actually get out of bed usually, but would tell me in the morning that she had woken up. She looked very tired for weeks. Eventually she learned to ignore it. I think a white noise machine in their room is a great idea, I wish I had thought of it sooner. Now she sleeps through it so I don't need one anymore! Also he wakes up less, so that helps. One night I guess I was sleeping really deep, and she stomped into my room and said, "MOM, HES CRYING!!!!" Oh, opps...

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"