High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

For those with GD who LOST weight...

I wanted to know how common it is/was to lose weight with GD... I'm not sure if I will, but my issue is that I don't think I NEED to... I am 5'8" and at my "goal weight" I'm about 140, so yeah, I had gained since my wedding... Just before getting pregnant, I was 160 (which I don't think is too too much for my height but whatev)... Now, 30 weeks in, I'm 181 and at a plateau. 

For those who lost weight once they started the GD diet, would you mind telling me what your heights and weights are or were?  I'm just curious whether "average" and slimish people lose weight or if it's just those who are curvier already.  I hope that doesn't sound bad.  I'm new  to all this and I just have no idea what to expect...

TTCAL Siggy Challenge: "He's my favorite.  His birthday is the same as mine almost"

image image

Missing my little one lost at 9 weeks on 2.24.13. brokenhearted but not broken... 

d&c 5/21/13... Still Healing, Still Standing... 

MMC discovered 10/2/2013, TWINS... d&c 10/7/2013.  I still miss you, little ones. 

Surgery December 2013 to remove a 10+cm fibroid... Open myomectomy. Benched for 3-9 months... 
Will TTC summer Summer 2014 we hope!

Dear God, Since I couldn't hold my little one in my lap and tell him about you, could you hold him in your lap and tell him about me? 

PgAL and PAL always welcome...

Re: For those with GD who LOST weight...

• Options
    I had about the same stats and I am 5'9"  I gained 25 before being Dx and was at 23lb total gain when I delivered.  I lost 10 the first few weeks after being Dx.   I was at my pp weight by 6 weeks and now about 10 under.  I did BF. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

I'm "curvy" and 5'4". With my DD I didn't lose weight, but I plateaued at my highest weight around 36 weeks and stayed there until delivery at 39 weeks. I gained 17 lbs total and walked out of the hospital at pre-pregnancy weight.

With this LO, I gained 10 lbs before getting pregnant again, and have lost 9 lbs since I started the diet 11 weeks ago. It's not because I "need" to (though I certainly have it to spare) or because I was trying to, I just eat healthier and less carbs on this diet which caused the weight to come off. I'm also more active this time chasing DD around. I still have 17 weeks to go, so we'll see where I end up overall.

If you start losing weight and your doctors are concerned, they will probably up your calorie/fat intake by way of proteins and veggies. But as long as they aren't concerned, I wouldn't be either. 

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm 5'6 (5'7 on good days) and weighed about 155 at the beginning of the pregnancy. At 26 weeks I was at 168, went on GD diet and dropped down to 166, and now (33 weeksish) am at 172. My doctor said as long as all of my measurements are good she's less concerned about weight. If I hadn't gained any weight by week 32 I was going to be upped to 2000 calories a day but then we had a little growth spurt lol.
  • Options

I am 5'1" and started my first pregnancy at 115.  I was nauseous and lost weight in the beginning.  I was diagnosed in early 3rd tri at 119 lbs.  I delivered DD at 39 weeks,1d weighing 122 lbs.  I did not gain much during my pregnancy and hardly anything once on the diet.  DD weighed 7 lbs 5 oz.

This pregnancy, I started at 97 lbs.  I got diagnosed at 13 weeks weighing 99 lbs.  I now weigh 103 lbs.  My MFM limits my fat grams (15 per day, 5 with each meal).  I eat extra protein when I am hungry and I do sneak a little extra fat (cheese sticks) here and there.  The nutritionist said they were going to "fatten me up".  LOL- on 15 grams of fat.  I just don't see how I am supposed to gain weight on such limited fat, but at my last ultrasound baby was perfect.  My nutritionist actually got after me in my first pregnancy because I was eating  fat free cottage cheese with snacks.  The horror...I wasn't allowed a dairy serving at those times.  

I think that most GD moms gain much less once they are diagnosed than people allowed to eat whatever they want whenever they want.  You will be closely monitored with ultrasounds to make sure that your baby is growing well.  I wouldn't worry about lack of weight gain or weight loss unless your doctor is worried.  If you are very hungry or feel "too full" at the end of the day to eat all of your food, then bring it up with the nutritionist.  Maybe they can move some calories around for you.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I am short but hhave always been thin. My first pg I gained 25-27 lbs (non gd) and lost it all by 6 weeks. This time I am 37 weeks (going to have c section in 2 weeks) and have . I only gained 18
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I am 5'6" the day I got pregnant I was 162 (had a weigh in. At my trainer ) at 13 weeks I weighed 172. I'd lost 5 lbs the appointment before and the weight gain caused me to be tested for GD early. The day I was admitted to the hospital I weighed 163. It was a struggle for me to gain since I was still so active. At one point I'd dropped to 150 something. I ended up with additional snacks to try and gain weight but kept my sugar controlled
  • Options
    CADE387CADE387 member

I'm 5'7" and weighed 170 when I got my BFP. I had been about 145-150 up until 6 months before we got pg and then had gained the extra weight. I only went up to 186 by the time I was diagnosed at 29 weeks (so up 16 lbs).

In the first 1.5 weeks on the diet I lost 9 lbs so they increased my calories by 200. That put me at 31 weeks and only up 7 lbs from my pp weight. When I delivered at 39w1d (induced) I weighed 188 so I only gained 18 lbs the entire pg.

I am now 2w3d post delivery and weigh 162. I am EP due to latch issues but I sure that has helped.

My doctor wants me to be at 150 by 9 months pp in order to maintain our healthcare benefits so it is exciting to have dropped so much weight already considering I can't work out or even lift LO in his carseat until 6 weeks pp. I'd like to be back to 140 maybe even 135 so I guess we will see.

• Options
    What is normal really? I am 5'4 and weight 147 not even the most i've weighted in my life.  I gained 29 lbs since becoming pregnant but still didn't think I would be GD as being heavier in my younger years never brought diabetes on. Was boarderline once that's it.  I did notice though that when I lost that akward teen year fat weight, I was no longer at risk for eventually developing diabetes.  Well I guess until now.  Maybe it is because I am older and considered high-risk at 37 for 1st child who knows.  I do know that if you control what, and how much you ingest you can minimus the risk of it getting seriously out of control.  Have family members who have proven that.  Heck, you can even eliminate it altogether and ensure it doesn't hit you down the road.  Just wondered though what is the difference between fasting #'s and non fasting? I figure you don't want fasting #'s to be high.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"