Detroit Babies

Feeding a picky eater

My son, who is 15 months, has decided that he only likes yogurt, applesauce and chicken nuggets. Sometimes he will eat a Cheerio.

Obviously, this is not a balanced diet. 

I'm trying to figure out meals and snacks for him, but he is so picky! I know this is a stage and I'm trying not to be too worried about it, but mealtime is so hard now. 

He just throws his food and outright rejects foods he liked even a day ago (strawberries, cheese, peas, etc). 

Any advice? What do you feed your toddler?

Come chat with other moms: www.metrodetroitmommy.com!

Re: Feeding a picky eater

• Gabriel will eat most of what we put infront of him, but lately he's been refusing foods that he normally will eat.

We do pasta small shells with meat sauce, steamed green beans, steamed peas, yogurt, blueberries, watermellon, raspberries, grilled cheese, eggs, waffles, chicken nuggets, hamburgers.  I feel like I just give him the same stuff every day, but if he'll eat it then I guess we are ok. 

Yesterday I tried to give him cheese and he refused to eat it.  Right now he just wants puffs.  When I put the container away he freaks out and throws a temper tantrum.  I'm kind of to the point where if he seems satisfied and I'm getting something in him then he'll be ok.  I just keep trying and eventually I'll find something that he'll eat.  Some nights I feel like I make 3 dinners just for him to get him to eat something.

Gabriel Joseph 6/13/2010
    BFP#2: 8/14/11 M/C 8/30/11 6w1d
    BFP #3: 10/26/11
    Beta #1 @11dpo: 22 Beta #2 @13dpo: 90 Beta #3 @17dpo: 480
    Missed m/c 12w3d 12/28/11, d&c 12/30/11
    dx Homozygous C677T MTHFR image image
  • That's how I feel, like I make all these meals and he won't eat most of it. He used to eat whatever. He won't eat pasta. He won't eat green beans, no fruit anymore unless it is applesauce in a pouch.

So frustrating. I hate to waste food too.

Guess I'll just keep giving him stuff and someday maybe he will grow out of it. 

That's funny about the puffs. He used to love those but now won't touch them!

• Loading the player...
  • Lucas does this too.  He used to eat so well!  Now he throws it or he will put it in his mouth and chew and then picks it out and drops it and refuses to eat it.  I also feel like I'm feeding him the same stuff.

I feed him baked apples (I chop up an apple into bite size pieces and then put a bit of cinnamon on it and microwave it for 2 mins.), He loves banana because he can do it himself, grapes chopped up into quarters. I try other fruits, he seems to be happy if he can pick it up and do it himself. 

I will also try to feed him string cheese, which he seems to eat well.  Bread, pasta, chicken. I try all kinds of vegetables every meal but he flat out refuses.

Most times I found that if he isnt eating something and I let him feed himself with a spoon (rather than picking it up with his fingers) he will eat everything.  I most of the time have to put the food on the spoon for him then he will put the spoon in his mouth himself.  Now we try to pull the spoon out everytime (even if it is something he doesnt need it for like cheese) and he has been picking up his food and putting it on the spoon and then eating it.   

Mommy's little helper :)Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • He does love to use his spork. I put food on it and mostly he will eat it. Today though I cut up some cherries and he flipped out and flung them all on the floor, spork and all.

I tried those bowls with suction cups too and he can unsuction it which means there goes the mess.

I will try baked apples, that is a great idea!! He does like to feed himself but that's hard with yogurt, soup, etc.

• We've been having the same problem with Noah for some time.  Play with the presentation too- that'll make a huge difference sometimes.  Like cheese, he'll eat shredded cheese, but refuses to touch cube cheese.  Sandwiches he likes cut into triangles- if it's cut only in half, he usually won't eat as much.  Sometimes we make games of meal time.  Right now he likes singing "if you're happy and you know it", so we started added "eat you're sandwich" and he'll do it.  There's times he'll randomly want to try something new.  I had cinnamon apples one time and all of a sudden that's what he wanted.  Now he can't get enough.  Someone on one of the bump boards had posted what a toddler's daily nutritional needs and it really surprised me how little they need to eat.  And like the doctor has told us- if they're hungry, they're going to eat. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • When DS goes through a picky phase I make sweet potato pancakes, broccoli nuggets and will put fruit into waffles in the morning. I also will mix squash into yogurt for him. He's also a big fan of banana and zucchini breads.

As long as he's taking a multivitamin, I wouldn't worry. He will eat when he's hungry. 

• imageBigyellowdog:

That's how I feel, like I make all these meals and he won't eat most of it. He used to eat whatever. He won't eat pasta. He won't eat green beans, no fruit anymore unless it is applesauce in a pouch.

So frustrating. I hate to waste food too.

Guess I'll just keep giving him stuff and someday maybe he will grow out of it. 

That's funny about the puffs. He used to love those but now won't touch them!

What?! I don't think I believe you. Do you have another son I don't know about that you're talking about here?

I know you used to give B smoothies. Does he still go for those at all? If so you can hide all kinds of stuff in there.

Otherwise I'm not much help, as E hasn't figured out she can be picky yet. When that happens, I'll call you for advice!

• He will NOT eat puffs! It is so sad. He examines them and tosses them on the floor. He will barely eat a Cheerio. He wants goldfish crackers or graham crackers.

Re: smoothies. Yes, sometimes. I made him a cherry smoothie yesterday and he loved it. Tried making it again today, and no dice.

• imageKBabySmiles:

When DS goes through a picky phase I make sweet potato pancakes, broccoli nuggets and will put fruit into waffles in the morning. I also will mix squash into yogurt for him. He's also a big fan of banana and zucchini breads.

As long as he's taking a multivitamin, I wouldn't worry. He will eat when he's hungry. 

Do you have recipes that you use?  Or do you just whip these all up on your own?  I'm a horrible cook so I'm trying to prepare myself in advance for when I really need to be giving P real food.  :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Kbaby, recipes please!!!
  • My 3.5 year old is still picky but is getting better.  I make sure MH and I eat a variety of foods around her, and now that she's older we sometimes make a rule at dinner she has to try a bite of something new that we're having.  She discovered recently she likes spaghetti (coated in parmesan, but hey I'll take it) this way. 

It gets better once they get a little older.  Ask your pediatrician about vitamin supplements, DD has been on flintstones my first vitamin chewables since 2 and is tall for her age and not underweight.

DD1, Kathleen 9/15/2007

imageimage

• imageBigyellowdog:
    Kbaby, recipes please!!!

Sweet Potato Pancakes

1 tbsp butter, melted
    1/2 cup cooked sweet potatoes, mashed up
    1 egg (or 2 egg yolks if you are worried about egg allergy)
    1/3 cup all-purpose flour (I use whole wheat flour)
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    1/4 cup milk (sometimes more depending on what consistency I want the batter)

Broccoli Nuggets

16 oz of broccoli (the recipe calls for frozen, but I like to use fresh), washed, cooked, and chopped
    1 cup of breadcrumbs (you can do half bread crumbs and half baby cereal if you want)
    1 1/2 cups grated Cheddar cheese
    3 eggs (5 egg yolks if you are worried about allergy) - If you want you can substitute a puree for the eggs to get more veggies in there
    5 tablespoons of olive oil
    1 1/2 tsp baking powder
    spices if you want

Preheat oven to 375. Wash, cooked, and chop the broccoli. Mix all the remaining ingredients. Shape the mixture into 'nuggets." Place on a greased cookie sheet. Cook 10 minutes, then flip them over and cook ten more minutes. They will be golden and yummy when done.

Baby Waffles

1 cup of flour
    1/4 cup uncooked barley cereal (you can use rice too)
    1/4 cup uncooked baby oatmeal
    1/2 cup milk (formula can be used, I've never tried that)
    1/4 cup mashed banana
    1 tbsp butter, melted
    1 eggs (2 egg yolks if you're worried about allergies or not yet old enough for full egg)
    1/4 cup apple juice (I use juice/water mixture)

Mix ingredients. I throw in frozen blueberries to add more fruit. Make waffles. You can add more juice/water to play with the texture.  (Obviously, you can also use whatever waffle recipe you use and add the banana or frozen fruit. Or use some box mix and add fresh.frozen fruit if that what works)

• Thanks!
  • Kbaby- those are great!  Thank you so much!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"