Food Allergy

If you are a BF mom or former who's allergic to milk

did you introduce your LO to milk after age one?  I am curious to know what other mothers do once their LOs reach the age to have cows milk.

In my heart I don't want to give her cows milk at all,  DH isn't allergic and wants her to try it.  I want to say since she never got it from me to begin with why introduce it, again DH is her father and has his opinion as well.

What did you do and what were the out comes either way?

TIA 

Mom to 4 wonderful daughters
                             Breanna, Ellie and 
                             our 2 rainbow babies.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: If you are a BF mom or former who's allergic to milk

• Formula or BM until one year old. after that you can do whole milk unless LO is allergic to milk.

DS1 2-26-07
    DS2 10-18-10
    M/C 8-5-12
    DS3  6-21-13
    #4 Due May 2015

IT'S A BOY

http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p577/Jennidyan1109/23d540d6-b829-444c-8c32-e5df839d3d41.jpg?t=1417822558

• Personally I think its best to maybe get her tested for the allergy since I am assuming that you are allergic. I would rather get the test than risk her having a reaction. There are a TON of foods that contain milk and its a hard thing to avoid, as you know if u are allergic...

Jacob Alexander 7/23/09
    Allergic to Dairy, Eggs and Peanuts Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Jameson Adam 6/1/11
    Allergic to Peas...so far Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Rink08Rink08 member
    I'm allergic although I will occasionally eat something like pancakes and be alright. DS1 started showing his whey allergy while breastfeeding on the rare occasions that I had a milk product and has been tested multiple times to see if he would outgrow the allergy ( no change)

DS2 also has the whey allergy. We were told by our GI that it is common for siblings to all have milk sensitivities (whether it be a protein allergy or lactose intolerance)and that my children are more likely due to a parent having the allergy.

If your child does not have any exposure to milk ( in the breastmilk or formula) I would still introduce it at the normal time in small doses the same way that they would do a milk challange.
  • Rink08Rink08 member

An example for a milk challenge would be -

(assuming your child would drink 8oz at a time then) 

7.5 oz bm or formula mixed with 0.5 oz cow's milk for 2 days

7 oz bm or formula mixed with 1 oz cow's milk for 2 days

6.5 oz bm or formula mixed with 1.5 oz cow's milk for 2 days

and so on until you get to 4 oz of bm or formula and 4 oz of cow's milk ( or half of whatever quantity you are feeding your child). If they tolerate this for a few days. you should be in the clear to switch but you can continue to work your way to a full bottle of cow's milk if you want instead.

We have tried this *challenge* twice with DS1 (age 1 and age 3) but have never made it past the first 2 days without a reaction and will not be testing him any further. Most likely, we will try it once with DS2 between age 3-5 but will not try again if he has a reaction since we are certain they will not be outgrowing the allergy.

** Double check with your doctor first before doing any challenge on your own. Ours gave us the okay for this one but I know many people prefer to do them in office so that they will be monitored. We were already aware of the reactions that he would have (not life threatening)- Bloody stools, vomiting, and upset stomach.

• You are allergic and you're not sure if your LO will be?  After she turns 1, you can try to add small amounts of cows milk to the bottle/cup.  i'd wait until after 12 months - sometimes you'll read about people who transition to WCM before then, but if there's a history, I'd err on the side of caution.

If you're super nervous, I'd try the challenge while waiting for a Well baby visit or something.  I considered this a few times.

imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I am allergic to milk and gluten and I have not given birth yet to baby #1, but I plan on breastfeeding and am really nervous at all to give my children the foods I am allergic to.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"