Nurseries and Baby Gear

Possibly dumb question about bedding.

I've never posted on this board before but I thought this would be the appropriate place.  I love the cute, comforter/blankets that come with crib bedding sets.  My question is, are they solely for decoration?  It's dangerous to use them since they're so thick and fluffy, right?  So, is there a point at which you do use them as the child's cover or do you just hang them over the side as decor?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Possibly dumb question about bedding.

• Bedding sets in general are considered pointless if you follow safety guidelines. Nothing should be in the crib except baby (on a sheet). Some people ignore it and use bumpers, blankets, whatever, but it isn't "recommended".

Some people get a bedding set and use the quilt on the floor for tummy time, and re-sew the bumper into a decorative pillow for the rocker (for example). 

• Its not completely worthless as pp said, you can use it for tummy time (we do). You can also use it when your LO is older (toddler) if you have a convertible crib.
    Dating 7/25/03 Engaged 7/25/07 Married 11/10/09 L 3/11/11
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Married Bio

• Loading the player...
  • I've also wondered this one. I've heard "no blankets in the crib" and thought maybe (since it comes with the sets) I'd still use it to keep him/her warm while cuddling? That or maybe...if we are stuck with just a decoration get a quilt rack for the wall to add some color?

I just can't imagine having a newborn in the middle of a midwest winter with nothing but a sheet. I'm a first timer with months to learn before baby arrives though!

• We actually decided against the whole crib set, due to price and the fact we can't use all of it, but I'm gonna make a small quilt for tummy time, and buy the other components separately.
  • We loved a bedding set from PBK.  It was on sale and you buy the items separately so we ended up buying the skirt, sheets and quilt (not the bumper for safety reasons).   We were also told not to use the quilt with a newborn, so we won't...but it was so cute we still bought it to use for tummy time and when our little girl is a toddler.   Right now it's just hanging over the crib for decoration. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageMrsChelseaP09:
    Its not completely worthless as pp said, you can use it for tummy time (we do). You can also use it when your LO is older (toddler) if you have a convertible crib.

Yup. It's a perfect floor mat, for tummy time, then when baby is sitting unsupported, playing with toys on the floor. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"