VBAC
Options

looking for advice about my vbac i didnt get..

I am trying to understand this and i will ask at my 6 week appt but thats end of next month so i just wanted your input on what you think. i went to L&D wasnt in labor 39 weeks. However, my blood pressure as elevated so they monitored me for an hr. There were some low and high readings so she wanted to monitor me again for another hr.Those readings were high and it just continued to increase. My last 2 blood pressures at my visits 2 weeks prior was 104/80 and my last visit was 124/80 . But now they were in the 140's and reached 150/? i forget the bottom number before they suggested a rcs. i did not have pre-e she said gestational hypertension. no protein in my urine. i did have edema. The day before i did see spots once. she said she recommended i get a rcs because having high bp can stop the baby from getting oxygen and since my hemoglobin was a 7 and im anemic they dont think a vbac would be a good option. she said my cervix was a fingertip still high and baby hadnt even dropped into my pelvis but she was head down.she said she didnt even think i would go into labor on my own. my first c/s was due to fetal distress and i reached 9 cm. when she said baby no oxygen because thats all i heard because i couldnt believe what she was saying..i agreed to the rcs because i was scared something would happen to her. the midwife also said they dont recommend i get induced because of the risk of uterine rupture and since my cervix was hardly open i could be in painful labor for 2 days. when i heard that i was also afraid of her going into distress because my 1st couldnt handle the pitocin and i didnt want to be put to sleep again.i was pretty upset i wished my normal modwife was on duty but she wasnt. this is someone i saw once but everyone seemed supportive. was a vbac really not an option in my case?

Re: looking for advice about my vbac i didnt get..

• Options

I am not sure, but a friend of my was having really high bp right before she had her baby, and was having a lot of edema.  She kept telling me how high it was, and it had me really worried for her, that they weren't inducing or doing a c section.  She ended up getting put on bed rest until she had her baby, and her bp went down, and she delivered natural after the dr. accidentally broke her water.  I dont remember what her bp was, but I know the top number got over 150.

• Options
    No advice here, but I am so sorry you are struggling with these questions and the "what ifs." I had a c-section due to pre-e almost 4 years ago and since then I have learned my blood pressure really wasn't that high (in the whole scheme of things) and I have thought my medical providers overreacted. I totally understand where you are coming from.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm not a doctor or midwife and I'm not qualified to really say what kind of care you should have gotten, but regarding your last question? most care providers are not asking, "is VBAC still an option?" They're asking if the risks are too high. Personally, I would not have been comfortable with an induction in your shoes, even if they had offered it. Maybe it would have worked, who knows? But hypertension can be a big deal. My BP was measured at 158/93, and my extemely pro-VBAC care providers took it very seriously. It ended up nothing since it did not sustain, but I know even without edema and seeing spots, it was a big deal and not just some excuse they made up to RCS.
  • Options
    It does sound like VBAC wasn't an option in your particular case. I did have a VBAC with high bp, but was at 4 cm for over a week before my blood pressure rose, so I was a very favorable induction. Everything I read while preparing for my VBAC said that induction was an unusual option for VBAC and that it could only be used if the mother was progressing on her own first since cervadil (used to start the cervix dilating) is contraindicated in a VBAC. I'm genuinely sorry that you didn't get to VBAC, but it sounds like your doctor assessed the situation and opted for the safest option in your particular case.
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you for the responses so far. I do keep checking for new ones. I did so much reading on vbac and etc but failed to know anything about gestational hypertension. I do feel better after reading your responses because I have a better understanding of why a rcs was the best option in my case. If they would have risked induction, I probaly wouldnt havent progressed since my cervix wasnt favorable or ended up being an emergency c section. I just have a lot of "what ifs" on my mind..
  • Options
    Personally, I would have done the same thing. The advice of a medical professional and my Midwife would far out way the opinions of strangers on the internet. Hope you an baby are safe and healing quickly!
  • Options

Ditto PPs.  It sounds like you made the best choice.  I know we mothers second-guess ourselves a lot but remember to be kind to yourself.  You made the right choice for yourself and your baby under the circumstances.  Give yourself time to process how the birth went and make peace with it.

I'm sorry things didn't go how you had hoped.   

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"