Natural Birth

Questions for Bradley Moms

I'm planning a Bradley birth and I was love reading about how the techniques worked for real births. So, if you wouldn't mind answering a few questions:

1.  Did you use the relaxation positions and at what point in labor, and for how long?

2.  Were you aware when you reached the self-doubt signpost? How did you get past it?

3.  What position did you push in?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Questions for Bradley Moms

• imageGBTeacherLady:

1.  Did you use the relaxation positions and at what point in labor, and for how long?  I started using the side relaxation position about halfway through my labor and then pretty much for the rest of the time, except for going to the bathroom.

2.  Were you aware when you reached the self-doubt signpost? How did you get past it?  I was not aware of transition while I was going through it, but looking back on it now it was quite obvious.  I was on my way to the bathroom and when I got to the toilet the contraction overtook me and my husband saw the panic in my eyes.  He got right up to my face and told me to breathe because I had forgotten.  I actually fainted because I couldn't breathe and the nurse had to use smelling salts to wake me.  When I came to, I was pushing.

3.  What position did you push in?  I used the assisted classic position on the bed.  I would have like to change positions, but my son was born in only 4 pushes.

• 1.  Did you use the relaxation positions and at what point in labor, and for how long? I didn't really do any of the partner positions, but did a lot of swaying early on.  I spent some time in the tub & shower both at home and at the hospital.  I labored in hands & knees and leaning over the side of the tub for a while. 

2.  Were you aware when you reached the self-doubt signpost? How did you get past it?  I don't think I was aware of it, but DH was.  He was able to help me get through by reminding me that I was getting close and to take it one contraction at a time.  Right after that, I started to feel pushy, so we got the MW to check me and I was nearly complete.  I was able to relax in the bed for another 1/2 hr to work the last little bit of cervix out of the way.

3.  What position did you push in? I pushed in a lot of positions.  I tried on the toilet to get a feel for what to do, then tried on my side, hands & knees, kneeling leaning on the raised back of the bed.  I ended up delivering sort of reclined, not flat on my back, but leaning back with people holding my legs to brace me. 

• Loading the player...
  • These are great! I like that the same principles can be used, yet tailored to each woman. Thanks for tell me your stories!
  • 1.  Did you use the relaxation positions and at what point in labor, and for how long?

Not really.  Just relaxed while doing abdom breathing thru the contrax on the hospital ride. Once we got checked in, everything progressed too quickly for me to focus properly BUT I wish I could have. I think that would've been more effective than moving around the room like a wild woman.

2.  Were you aware when you reached the self-doubt signpost? How did you get past it?

Didn't get there until I was pushing and actually told my MW "I can't do it."  Then she said, "Yes you can if you get really angry and push against the pain!" ...  Then a small part of me hoped she'd suggest a vacuum or forceps LOL, but she didn't so I tried to get over myself and get busy!

3.  What position did you push in?

In the hospital bed, semi-sitting up.Again, it happened so fast & things were so foggy by then I didn't have time to focus on another position, but I do wish I would've been sitting up more and I do wish I'd asked for a mirror when I was having a hard time.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageGBTeacherLady:

I'm planning a Bradley birth and I was love reading about how the techniques worked for real births. So, if you wouldn't mind answering a few questions:

1.  Did you use the relaxation positions and at what point in labor, and for how long? During labor I bounced on a birthing ball, rocked on all fours, leaned on the birthing ball on the bed, labored on the toilet (not a technique but you learn about it in class and I definitely felt comfortable there), used low pitch vocalizations,  the tense/relax technique (although this was not consciously but having practiced it, it was easier to do when my MW would rub my back or face and tell me to relax). My labor was 6 hours total...very fast and furious.

2.  Were you aware when you reached the self-doubt signpost? How did you get past it? I don't really know how I got through it, I just did. I gave birth at a birth center so there really was no turning back. I suspect that at that point I was too far gone for an epidural if I had been at the hospital and couldn't have stayed still for one anyway...I was only getting about a 20 second break between contractions at that point and after about 10 minutes of unbearable self-doubt my water broke and I started have involuntary pushes. I literally couldn't stop them at first.

3.  What position did you push in? I pushed on my side...it was what was comfortable for me and I had a really fast push out so I didn't need to squat or use the birthing stool. I think all fours would have been comfortable too...that was one of my favorite labor positions.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • 1. I used hands and knees a LOT. Basically all throughout active labor and delivery, other than when I was in the shower at the hospital.

2. Yep. We were in the car on the way to the hospital, so I really had no option other than just powering through it!

3. The first couple of times I pushed I was on my side, and then delivered on hands and knees. 

norathe girlsamelia
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • 1. For my first, I sat on the toilet alot but that was mostly to escape the staff. For the second, I spent most of it in a rocking chair with heat packs on my back. It was very relaxing. I was a good height for DH and doula to stroke my head and arms. Spent some time on the ball, but mostly just out of boredom.

2. Looking back I definately see it for my first delivery.  I didn't know how well I was progressing because no one was checking on me. I was completely panicking becuase I thought I couldn't survive what I was feeling for 12+ hours. Turns out I didn't need to. My body just started pushing shortly after so I didn't do much of anything except have a baby. With the second delivery, we just sailed right on past that point. Went from 8 cm to automatic pushing before my midwife got out the door of the room. I screamed and boom my first twin was on the bed.

3. I was in bed but not quite laying down, more of a sitting up pose. Never really had time for anything else.

• 1.  Did you use the relaxation positions and at what point in labor, and for how long? Only to make it through being monitored.  20 min at 5+ cm.

2.  Were you aware when you reached the self-doubt signpost? How did you get past it? I really only reached it for a second right before pushing.  I was very focused in late labor and when they made me move off the toilet and onto the bed I lost my focus.  I looked my MW in the eyes (what, you thought I was going to say DH?) and said "I need you to help me."  She and my doula coached me through it.

3.  What position did you push in? On my back. 

• 1. I used the side-lying position for the beginning, but my labor kicked in fast and furious.  After that I was on the toilet, or straddling a chair in the shower with the water pointed at my back.

2.  Mostly I was aware, but part of the self-doubt is that I also doubted whether or not I was assessing the situation correctly.  I hit transition much sooner than expected, and I remember thinking to myself, "this feels like what I read about transition...but no, it's way to early for me to be in transition, or is it?"  The bradley training helped me to recognize what was happening and not freak out too much that what was happening might be abnormal.

3. on my knees leaning over the edge of the birthing tub for two hours.  at that point the MW suggested that I try something different, so I moved to the bed, kinda in the traditional pushing position you see on tv, but I was not lying on my back.  DS was born four pushes after I changed my position.  I don't think it was the position necessarily that was the magic trick, but the fact that in the process of me moving into a different position, it helped baby to move into a better position to be born.  he was posterior and born with a bruise on his head, so it was obvious that all that time I was pushing in the tub he just wasn't lined up properly to come out.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"