Working Moms
Options

how late are you up at night doing housework, laundry, etc.?

My co-worker (who has 3 kids - 13, 10 and 2) told me she is reguarly up past 1 am doing housework, laundry, dishes, etc.  I can't imagine why she has that much work to do.  Her husband is disabled - so he can't do a whole lot of housework even though he's stays home w/ the youngest kid.  But, jeez - 1 am??? 

I'm not super anal about stuff, but I try to keep on top of things.  I spend about 30-60 minutes a night on house stuff and maybe an hour relaxing, watching TV, Nesting/Bumping. 

I thik maybe the issue is her kids don't go to bed until really late (like 10 pm or later) so maybe that's why she can't get anything done. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: how late are you up at night doing housework, laundry, etc.?

• Options
    PeskyPesky member

Um, why aren't the KIDS doing some of that work?  I get the 2YO not being much help but the 13 and 10 YO?  They can do dishes and fold and put away clothes.  The 13YO can probably do laundry start to finish and begin to learn to cook.  Both of them could dust and run a vacuum cleaner and generally do most of what she is doing.  Not saying she should outsource completely but we all had chores in our house and I remember cooking dinner for my family when I was in HS.  Many hands...

I certainly don't stay up that late to do housework.  Then again, our home is far from Martha Stewart perfect.  I guess you pick your poison. 

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

• Options
    My boy is often up until 10 and my body would rather go to bed at 9 so I don't do any housework in the evenings. However, if I cared about my house being clean at all I could totally see being up until 1, especially since if I was going to do that I'd want to sit for just a minute by myself before starting. I also get up at 5:30 and so staying up until 1 is a terrible idea, but I have been known to stay up til 12 if the house gets really bad or guests are coming.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DD goes to bed between 8 and 9 and I'm not too far behind! The only housework I do in the evening is tidying the kitchen. Everything else can wait for the weekend.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I do VEry little during the week.  I just dont have it in me to stay up past 9 or 10.  I do just enough to get things put away and ready for the next day, and at times, if I am super tired that stuff doesnt get done til the morning or next night either :-)
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options

I agree- the older kids should be helping out.

Past that, this is why I'm glad DS goes to bed early.  Usually by 7.  sometimes (especially in the summer) it feels too early.  But it gives me a good chunk of time to get stuff done around the house while also getting some "me" time in too. 

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options
    Um, maybe 9 or 10. DD is starting to go to bed around 6:30 (!) or 7. She only sleeps about 3 - 3.5 hours at a time, so I don't stay up too late. We do minimal stuff around the house - wash diapers, clean up the kitchen, run the dishwasher and vacuum (we have two large furry dogs, so we need to vacuum about 2x during the week).  I would NEVER stay up until 1 am cleaning, even if we were getting company. My sleep is important. If company thinks my house is dirty, I will be happy to show them where I keep the cleaning supplies Big Smile
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    kj07kj07 member
    We do very little during the week.  Mail, dinner, dishes, kitchen counters, prep for work/daycare and CD laundry when needed with the occasional load of baby laundry too.  Every once if a while the kitchen floor gets to me and I clean that up during the week, but everything else waits until the weekend.  DH and I are both usually in bed between 9-10 as DS is still getting up twice a night to eat.
    photo 8653f130-7264-42f4-8d67-9a73d64cacce_zps8c973e49.jpg

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP #1 4/14/10. Big B born 12/28/10.

BFP #2 5/27/12. EDD 2/1/13. m/c and D&C 6/21/12.
  • Options

Zero!  Of course, I have a great excuse right now which is that I am exhausted just taking care of my two kids and being pregnant with a third.  I tend to save laundry and "real" housework for the weekend or if my husband will be home some during the week I ask him to do things.

By the time my kids are 13 and 10 they will be doing the laundry and housework!

Kelly, Mom to Christopher Shannon 9.27.06, Catherine Quinn 2.24.09, Trey Barton lost on 12.28.09, Therese Barton lost on 6.10.10, Joseph Sullivan 7.23.11, and our latest, Victoria Maren 11.15.12

Secondary infertility success with IVF, then two losses, one at 14 weeks and one at 10 weeks, then success with IUI and then just pure, crazy luck.  Expecting our fifth in May as the result of a FET.

This Cluttered Life

• Options
    trinnytrinny member

DD used to be in bed by 8:00, and then I would spend about an hour on laundry, dishes, next day bottles, etc.  Now, I'm lucky if I'm done with both by 9:00.  DH has been stepping up more...

NO WAY would I be up until 1 am!  If I stayed up until 11 doing chores SOMETHING would have to change-- maybe we'd be doing paper plates for awhile, kids do their own laundry, etc.  

• Options
    I am never up that late. Dinner and dishes are done before bed. DS is down by 8:30. The rest of the night is spent getting ready for the next day. Maybe an occaisional load of laundry during the week or I tackle one chore at night. Things get done when they get done?.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    LJR 84LJR 84 member
    I do VERY little housework during the week. DD goes to bed around 8, and we straighten up a little bit and go straight to bed ourselves! We're usually asleep by 9 or 9:30.
  • Options
    I call it quits at 9 pm.  Right now, since it's nice out, I have started to do a little every night after the kids are in bed b/c I am never in the house on the weekends.  If MH didn't help me with laundry, I'd be in deep doo doo.  My guess is that her older kids are keeping her busy and she can't get to things until 9 at night.  I would still probably only do 30 to 60 mins a night if it was me.  But since she probably isn't getting much help, she has a lot to do. 
    DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • Options
    Im not up late at all.  DH does the dishes and cleans up the kitchen while I put LO to bed (or vice versa) and everything else we just pick up as we go along during the week.  We do the cleaning on the weekend, usually first thing in the morning so we have the rest of the time to enjoy.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"