Parenting after 35

Birth Story - Zachary Heath (long)

I am officially a mother of two beautiful children, crazy and happy to say the least! I have a 3 year old beautiful girl (who's acting up with new baby). She doesn't want to listen to ANYTHING, so working with patience and lack of sleep, no fun!

Zachary Heath was born on May 25th via c/s and weighed in at 8lbs 9 oz and 21 inches. He was born completely healthy and is a great baby. He loves to BF, sleep and poop/poo. I don't rememer my DD sleeping as much, then again he's just 6 days old and that will all change.

Birth story is simple and sweet. I was 39 weeks and 4 days pregnant and had a scheduled c-section simply because my MD suggested it. I really, really wanted to VBAC, however it wasn't an option. I had a previous c/s and it was only due to not progressing after 20 hours of labor (back labor, fun). At 35, 37, 38 weeks I had not dialted or hardly effaced, so we schedule his D-Day. He was estimated to be a BIG BABY 8lbs 12 oz (give or take a pound). They were very close indeed.

Arrived at the hospital at 530 am on May 25th. Checked in (pre-admission was BS and not complete for some odd reason). FINALLY at 615 we were in the birthing suite to get ready. IV placed (that hurt) in the left side of my arm, urine collected and a hundred questions asked. We had a good nurse that was gonna change (bummer). I am so glad I wrote a birth plan. My MD was against it in the beginning, so it made me want one for sure. Everything in my plan was just what they ordered (or made me think that way). My MD came in and made sure I was comfortable and then the spinal guy to explain things (this was great getting to know the MD). At 715 the surgical nurse team came in to get me. They made me walk literally 500 feet into the operating room. Both of the surgical nurses were great - top of the line personalities (it rocked). I then became a tiny bit nervous when entering the OR. I am huge when it comes to medicine and gross stuff, so loved checking out the OR (I know oddball, lol)

Once on the table the spinal guy gave me a local (hurt a bit, burning) and then gave me a spinal, which was nothing but a warm feeling going down my legs. After I was numb I got a foley cath placed (quick too). About 20 minutes later MD was cutting to get the baby out. I could feel everything (like tracing on my belly and the actual cutting, without pain due to being numb).

DH did perfect, he video taped plus took pro pictures of EVERYTHING. I heard my MD saying he's ready to come out, so get ready Dad. We got to see it all (well I did after I watched the videos). It was awesome to see that other end of things that they hide behind that sheet of material. One major request was not to be tied down (birth plan wish granted). That wish was granted as long as I didn't touch the sterile field (oops I did) so I got tied back down for a few minutes. I followed the ruled. I hated that I received Oxygen, but understand. I kept asking the spinal guy what are they doing next. He would respond with they are almost there. I said, no you can tell me it won't make me sick - I love medicine, so he told me details, it was great! I couldn't see anything so I said describe it. (my next career will be to become a nurse).

Zachary was pulled out and I heard some suction, along with a beautiful cry that filled my heart with joy and my eyes with loving tears. I still cry thinking about it. Those cries made me relive my DDs birth. Zacharys cry was deep and man-like, lol. He immediately peed on the nurses, so that was a good thing. All caught on film. It was a happy moment indeed. Zachary started making these odd sounds because he still had a bit of fluid in his lungs, which they got out. He sounded like a little frog and it worried me. He wasn't crying and didn't want to work with the nurses, then he was fine after suction. I was reassured everything was okay, and this is normal (didn't have it with DD). Zachary was out of my view, so asking questions, like what's that, how much did he weigh was flying out of my mouth. I was still very calm. DH came over kissed me and told me he loved me. His eyes were filled with happy tears like me. We just met our son, it was wonderful. He told me wait until you see him, he looks just like you. I couldn't wait!

After I was put back together (humpty dumpty like) and I had a tubal it was time to head to recovery. The nurses took TONS of family pictures of the 3 of us, DH cutting the cord, and then placed my little man on my chest all wrapped up like a burrito. I was able to hold him while we wheeled to recovery. DH just shot pictures and filmed (like a maniac). I was in recovery for 1-2 hours (can't remember) and was able to have the skin-to-skin contact with the baby (highly recommend - wrote in birth plan - another wish granted). This was awesome and he literally climbed to my breast to nurse on his own. It was nuts. I was filled with emotion of how much my son looked like me and how healthy he was. 

Once out of recovery we went to a private room (with a shared bathroom - that sucked because the people had a LOT of visitors who showered too). Since I had him early in the morning I was told I would be taking a walk sometime around 8/9 that night.

My night nurse the first night was AWESOME, she helped me up and around and I ended up walking the entire floor, which was what they want. The next morning my nurse was good, however when time to walk I get in the hallway with her, then she's got no one to watch the baby, so she gets this volunteer and says watch this baby, then disappears. At this point I am PISSED. The volunteer has no pink badge (you know the rule don't give the baby to anyone without a pink badge, blah blah). I was like WTF? Maybe over reacting, but hello. Anyhow I was already feeling dizzy and the nurse left me standing in the hallway. So 5 minutes later DH shows up (mind you still in hallway) and another NICU nurse comes over so they can circumcise DS and we go down there. I am over it at this point, but still frustrated what the nurse did. Oh I forgot I had to pee (like my first time) and my nurse left me on the toilet only to come back an hour later. Thankfully DH helped me off of it. Then I requested a pain pill cause I was having pain - 4 hours to get a pill. 

Later that night the nurse advises me I have to walk again, I said not if your going to leave me in the hallway.  She was saying how sorry she was, blah blah. This was the only issue, so I can't complain, however it wasn't right.

The 2nd day we were eating lunch and a woman came in informing us she was from the financial department. We both were like ok, come in. She was there to collect a co-payment of $450.00 towards our bill (of course no one told us they do that and I even inquired at the hospital tea/tour and though billing - damn Kaiser). We can afford it (paid it too) but how tacky is that? I can't wait to get the bill and see what they charged us for, oh lord. Lucky for us MOOP is $2150 (after copayment and deductables have been met).

We checked in Wednesday at 530 am and checked out Friday at 1130. We were happy that they allowed us to get out of there early, another birth plan request granted. Thanks for reading and good luck to you ladies!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Birth Story - Zachary Heath (long)

• Damn that was long! Sorry ladies, but if you read it - thanks!

Recovery wise Im okay, dealing with horrible swelling in my feet - so bad walking is difficult and just trying to rest when I can. DH is home and helping a ton. DD is helping too, or trying.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Wonderful birth story!  Thank you so much for sharing!!  I've never had a c-section, but should I need one this time I feel completely at ease about it.  Enjoy every minute with your sweet baby boy!  Oh, and your DD...she will get better!  With a little adjustment time, she will be back on track before you know it. Smile
    Pregnancy Ticker BabyName Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • VincentVincent member

Mrs_M- What a wonderful story.  Boy you remembered a lot, I feel like I cheated LO's story because the details didn't come until days later.  Sorry to hear about your nurse problem and the volunteer.  I also had an issue with a nurse (I was sleeping and she wouldn't let DH back in the room- it really bothered me when I found out).

I also thought the billing issue you had to deal with was very tacky.  What if you didn't had your credit card with you.  Why would the hospital think collecting payment while you're there is ok? 

Is the walking schedule a hospital policy?  No one once came to get me to walk around and when DH and I went to the nursey twice I found the walking to be very difficult (I probably needed more walking). 

Thanks for posting your story.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Delivered 3 weeks and 2 days early via emergency c/s due to pre-e

Anniversary
    Trying to Conceive Ticker image
  • Congratulations! Get some rest and watch the salt intake. Make sure you mention your feet to your doctor when you go for your follow-up! Glad your hubby is helping and your daughter is participating. It's an adjustment. I've had two c-sections as well. The second time was a much easier recovery for me. Rest and enjoy your new little Zachary. ;-)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Congrats and get some rest
  • Thanks for sharing your story. I'm trying to gear myself up for the whole process in a week or so!!!!
  • Congratulations first off!

I don't think any nurses/Dr. wants to hear you have a birth plan. I did too, & I was totally laid back with it...go with the flow. I guess some people get carried away & write a book.

I used to be a medical photographer & photograph surgeries...you would have loved that job. LOL

Good thing you got the c-section. My SIL has 3 kids, all were over 8 lb at birth & she has all kinds of problems down there now from delievering naturally.

Enjoy your LO.

• Congrats and thank you for sharing the story!
  • lawry13lawry13 member
    Congratulations!  I had the same billing tackiness (Kaiser also) but was prepared for it since my sister had 3 children delivered at the same hospital.  I feel for you with the swelling.  My feet and legs swelled up like balloons.  It took almost 2 weeks to go away.  Hopefully your doctor is a little more sympathetic than mine (he just said it will eventually go away).  Try to elevate your feet as much as possible and watch your salt intake.
  • I read the whole thing! Congrats on your new baby, sounds like you had a great experience overall Yes
    Me: 44 DH: 42. DS born healthy at 40 weeks 8/24/09. TTC since then with no luck or ART. Surprise BFP 8/6/14... MMC @ 8 weeks 4 days... Miss you everyday sweet baby angel.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"