January 2011 Moms
Options

Baby Sign Language

I want to do some signing with DS. My sister has used it with her girls and it seems to help them communicate better and get less frustrated.  Anybody working on it already?  When are you supposed to start? Any tips or resources you'd recommend?
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Baby Sign Language

• Options
    they have a baby sign book at BRU, when I sing the abc song I always sign the letters... she seems to really like it
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Daycare does this with the babies, I don't think they start until 6 months though.  I will have to look into it some.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Baby Einstein movies start signing as they get older.  I also have flash cards I memorized, and make the motion when I am talking to him.
    ~Everett + Twins' Mommy
  • Options
    Baby Einstein includes sign language in their older movies.  I also have fun colored flash cards that I memorized and I use the motion when talking to him.  When he is older, he can use the flash cards also!
    ~Everett + Twins' Mommy
  • Options
    I did signs with Zoey and loved it. It was so great that she was able to communicate with is before she was able to talk. I think we started around 6 months but she didnt actually start signing back until around 9 months. But once, she "got it", she really took off and was picking up lots of signs. She probably had a total of around 20 something signs before she was a year old.

There has been research that shows that babies that sign have more advanced language into the toddler years because they are learning to associate the motions with meaning and understand the concept of language (words or signs having meaning) earlier than babies that don't sign. I don't know if that will be true for ALL babies, but it was definitely true for us. Zoey's language is very advanced. Not just in my biased opinion as her mom :) -- her teachers at daycare have made a point of telling me that she is really advanced in her language.

Sorry to ramble on and on about this. I am admittedly a language dork. I'm also teaching her Spanish. :)

• Options
    mick64mick64 member

imageskroops:
    Sorry to ramble on and on about this. I am admittedly a language dork. I'm also teaching her Spanish. :)

I want to do this too! What are you doing to teach Spanish?

• Options
    imageskroops:
    I did signs with Zoey and loved it. It was so great that she was able to communicate with is before she was able to talk. I think we started around 6 months but she didnt actually start signing back until around 9 months. But once, she "got it", she really took off and was picking up lots of signs. She probably had a total of around 20 something signs before she was a year old.

There has been research that shows that babies that sign have more advanced language into the toddler years because they are learning to associate the motions with meaning and understand the concept of language (words or signs having meaning) earlier than babies that don't sign. I don't know if that will be true for ALL babies, but it was definitely true for us. Zoey's language is very advanced. Not just in my biased opinion as her mom :) -- her teachers at daycare have made a point of telling me that she is really advanced in her language.

This. Only Joshua was closer to 12-18 months before he really took off with it. He didn't start speaking much til he was 3+ BUT, like skoops said, his language was much more advanced when he did speak. He's now finishing kindergarten and tests at a 3 grade reading/language level. (not saying it's ALL because of sign language, but this, reading to and talking with your babies/kids really makes a big difference)

• Options
    We just had a lady come to my new mom support group who is an instructor. She is on Facebook as "Signing Families" and they have a baby sign video for $20.  I think I am going to go to a class for it on Saturday.
  • Options
    imageMrs.McCain:

imageskroops:

Well, I am a Spanish teacher, so I have a bit of an advantage there. :). I didn't really start teaching her Spanish until probably the past 6 months or so. No one else in my family really speaks spanish so I wanted to make sure that she has English down first so that everyone else in family can understand her. But I have just started with teaching her words and phrases here and there - animals, body parts, family members, phrases like please, thank you, I love you, etc. Basically the same way a baby learns their native language - tons and tons of repitition. They are like little sponges when they are little and pick things up SO quickly.
  • Options
    mick64mick64 member
    imageskroops:
    imageMrs.McCain:

imageskroops:

Well, I am a Spanish teacher, so I have a bit of an advantage there. :). I didn't really start teaching her Spanish until probably the past 6 months or so. No one else in my family really speaks spanish so I wanted to make sure that she has English down first so that everyone else in family can understand her. But I have just started with teaching her words and phrases here and there - animals, body parts, family members, phrases like please, thank you, I love you, etc. Basically the same way a baby learns their native language - tons and tons of repitition. They are like little sponges when they are little and pick things up SO quickly.

Yes-that is a bit of an advantage! Smile DH and I both took Spanish in college and have travelled to a few Spanish speaking countries, but I don't get much chance to use it so I'm so rusty! I can ask basic questions to my patients (I'm a dietitian), but I wish I was more fluent. I know that kids can learn languages so much easier so I've really wanted to teach DS at least some Spanish. I just don't want to confuse him.

• Options
    I did some with my first, and will start again with DD#2.  I started yesterday, because we started solids, and I found it easiest to teach it in conjunciton with eating - all done, more, milk, etc.  It may be early, but it's habit now that I have a kid eating in a high chair again.
    "Little seahorse/Floating on a primal tide/Quickening like a/Spark in a haystack side/I already love you/And I don't even know who you are" -Bruce Cockburn BabyFetus TickerLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BOOKWORMS and BUTTERFLIES
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"