Parenting

s/o - if your kids play video games (like Wii, etc)

Are they GOOD at them? I mean, not that they will win any gaming awards, but do they have the hand/eye coordination to do the basic stuff?

We have tried playing Wii with DS (Mario Kart, tennis, bowling...) a few times, and man, he sucks so bad. He can't do it at all. Then he gets frustrated and doesn't want to play, so we don't ever really bring it out.

Just wondering if my kid is the weird one. Does he need video game boot camp so he won't be mocked in school?    He also kind of sucks at catching a ball, now that I think of it...

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: s/o - if your kids play video games (like Wii, etc)

• J&A2008J&A2008 member

I don't think he needs video game boot camp, LOL, but rolling or throwing or kicking a ball would definitely help his coordination.

Our boys didn't do the video games until 5 & 7, and they still needed some time to adjust to the concept.  At first the 5 year old was only good at one game - Wii bowling, since he'd done it in real life, and played a bowling video arcade game that he was good at.

Stay at home mom to a house of boys: two amazing stepsons, 12 and 9, and our 4 year old.
  • My kid rocks Mario Kart.  Seriously.

He's also pretty good at the Explorer football/math game he has, as well as Mr. Pencil Saves DoodleBurg.  

Lucky for him, he inherited his father's hand/eye coordination and not his mommeh's.

Kill all my demons and my angels might die too. -Tennessee Williams

You take my ovaries, I take your yarns.
  • Loading the player...
  • DD likes her Wii but she has trouble with the movement on the joy stick thingy.

DS1 loves playing a Cars game on MH PS2.  He isn't very good.

The answer is no. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Jackson is really good.  I am pretty FAIL at video games, but I can do Mario Kart and Super Mario Brothers all right - he's as good as I am, if not better.  Plus he also plays the Lego games w/ Jeff and does a good job.

He was pretty bad at Mario Kart at first though, but got better from playing more.

• He's surprisingly good. Has worked his way through all levels of Lego Indiana Jones and Lego Star Wars. Pretty good bowler too, LOL. Working on Zelda now. Way, way better than me but then again, I have ZERO interest in video games.

Keep in mind though that he's a bit older than your ds.

• he kicks my butt in Angry Birds.  As for Wii...he can get through a game of Mario Kart and that is fun for him.  He plays Lego Star Wars and some Ninja game and baseball.  Is he "good"? not really-he isn't winning the games or making any high scores...but he doesn't really notice that. 

Nathan 7-13-06 ~ Elizabeth 4-12-09 ~ Zachary 8-5-11
  • B can totally kick my azz in Mario Kart.  As hard as I may try, I will win about 1 out of 5.  

He can also whoop on his daddy on the jousting or whatever it is on the Sports Resort, and the sword cutting game.

Horseshoes? allME,damnit 

• Looks like he needs boot camp - DH will be thrilled! LOL

In truth, his one major "flaw" (definitely inherited from me) is that he doesn't like to do things unless he is naturally good at them. He gets too frustrated and gives up. I am sure the gaming falls into that.

• DD is now, but she wasn't originally.  We had to play for her and she would watch, which was kind of annoying.  Now, she beats DH in archery on Decca Sports a lot.  LOL.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Ian is better than most adults at the Wii. So there. Give me a cookie! Ian and the H play Mario Galaxy and Donkey Kong most nights after dinner.

He kicks my butt at Angry Birds too.

• imagejettagurl:

B can totally kick my azz in Mario Kart.  As hard as I may try, I will win about 1 out of 5.  

He can also whoop on his daddy on the jousting or whatever it is on the Sports Resort, and the sword cutting game.

Horseshoes? allME,damnit 

That sword cutting game is no joke.

Kill all my demons and my angels might die too. -Tennessee Williams

You take my ovaries, I take your yarns.
  • Halee beat her Dora game and is working on Hannah Montana now.  She is way better at it then I am
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • DH swears there is in terms of problem solving, etc. Of course some you get some exercise & hand eye coordination. My girls play them a little bit...I'm fine with it as long as they aren't foregoing playing outside, reading, etc. Completely in favor of it.
  • My kids tried the Wii once and honestly, it was hard for them.  WE recently got a Kinex and they had an easier time playing it.  They are 3 and just about 5.  They had a great time with the Kinex - the 3 year old needed a decent amount of help.  They do play some games on our phones, ipad things and they do OK.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"