Working Moms

AHHMAZING full-day daycare vs. good half-day daycare?

WWYD?  It would be for our daughter once she is around 5 months old
We found one place that we absolutely love.  They use sign language to teach language development, they have Spanish and gymnastics classes starting at age 3, etc., etc.  We love it.  It's hard to get into (we're on a waiting list for several months from now even though they JUST opened a new location), so we're thinking that if we pass on it now we probably won't be able to switch when the baby gets older.
We found another place that is also good, but is more of a traditional daycare (i.e. watching your kid while providing basic activities). It's still great, and they have a few extra classes that families can sign up for (though the quality isn't as good).  The big selling point???  They have HALF DAY RATES.  DH and I could totally make this work, and it'd be less than half the cost of the other daycare.  Plus, the baby would spend more time at home with at least one parent.  We both agree that had we not known about the dream daycare, the half-day center would have been exactly what we wanted.
The downsides though:- we wouldn't see each other as much- if I get stuck at work late (which happens all the time right now--I am in management), we'd get charged out the a$$.  I'm assuming I just will not let this happen once the baby comes.  I mean, other parents at my company do this all the time.
- I'm imagining this scenario would be more stressful (though obviously I won't be sure until we're actually experiencing it).  We would have to adjust our schedules to make this work (I'd have to go in earlier and leave earlier, DH would go in later and stay later).  If we go with the full-day daycare, we'd both work the same hours.- I'm sure the baby will learn at either center, but the other center is just SOOOO good.

Re: AHHMAZING full-day daycare vs. good half-day daycare?

• If you can afford the FT daycare, I'd go with that one hands down. A great and enriching environment for your daughter, and an easier and more enjoyable life/work schedule for you and your husband.

Arranging your schedules so that you don't need as much daycare at the cost of your family and spousal quality time just never seems like a good idea to me.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Honestly, you could probably get into the other one if you wanted to.  You just need to plan ahead.  Nothing is forever.  If you decide that the 1/2 day program and split schedule isn't for your family, you can change it later on.  Activiies at school are great and very convenient, but if one of you will be home in the afternoon, you can do those things then. 
    DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • Loading the player...
  • imageMaybride2:
    If you can afford the FT daycare, I'd go with that one hands down. A great and enriching environment for your daughter, and an easier and more enjoyable life/work schedule for you and your husband.

Arranging your schedules so that you don't need as much daycare at the cost of your family and spousal quality time just never seems like a good idea to me.

I agree with all this 100%.  My husband and I work almost the same schedule.  He leaves at 6 a.m., DD and I at 6:30.  He picks up DD at around 3:30 home around 4:45, and I get home about 20 minutes after him.  

• So, if you decide to go the half-day route now and lose your spot on the waiting list at the other place you might be stuck with that and find out it doesn't work for your family. My husband and I have done the split shift thing on a temporary basis several times and the only reason I was ok with it was because it was temporary. There's no way I'd sign up for that if it was the permanent solution. Now, I know about money issues and it's absolutely tempting to pay less for childcare if possible so you do need to weigh that in, and I don't know your financial situation so I don't know how important the cheaper care is.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would do half days and go to the more expensive place when your LO is older, Maybe 2-3.  A lot of the fancy classes don't start until 3, so I don't really see the point of dishing out the extra money.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"