Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Going camping with an almost-3-year-old?

DH suggested the other day that we go camping for his birthday (end of July - so DD will be 2 years 11 months at the time). We used to go camping before we had DD but haven't gone since. I'm really nervous about bringing her: we don't have a PNP for her (nor would she stay in it at this point), I'm afraid she'll get too close to the campfire, and she's apparently terrified of bugs/flies/mosquitoes. Has anyone gone camping with your almost 3-year-old and can tell me your experiences, good or bad? Am I overthinking this? TIA!

Re: Going camping with an almost-3-year-old?

• Options
    Not yet, but we're going next weekend.  DD will be 3 in September.  I've never even camped before, so she may do better than I do :)  We got a Regalo cot for her to put her sleeping bag on - it's like what she uses at daycare, so I think she'll be fine sleeping and she's good about staying out of the "hot zone" in the kitchen, so I think she'll be fine there too.  I'm more worried about not napping and / or DH keeping us both up with his snoring, lol.  I'll let you know how it goes when we get back! 
  • Options
    la79alla79al member
    We took DD1 last year when she was 26 months old.  She slept in a sleeping bag next to my air mattress and did fine (she started out on the mattress next to me but rolled off in her sleep). This year we have a toddler air mattress that she uses for sleepovers at Grandmas so she will be using that and I have every confidence that she will do fine.  As far as the fire, we've had them in our backyard the past 2 weekends and it hasn't been an issue at all.  Obviously we watch her closely but she has been roasting her own marshmallows and doing great (unless they catch on fire).  Pack some of the neat bug repellant things they have out, really talk it up as an adventure, maybe find someplace kid friendly (yogi bear or similar) to do a 1 night trial run.  Good luck but after our experience last year, I am not in the least bit hesitant to do it this summer (even with a newly crawling infant). 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers 
                             Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ladies, thank you so much for the encouragement! I'm glad to know others have done it and/or are doing it and it goes fine.
  • Options
    I am taking DD and DS today with another mom and her 3 and 1 year old.  I have gone a number of times with the kids.  It has been great.  Just plan for them to get dirty.  Take bug spray and lots of wipes.  I also take food that does not need to be cooked, since it is a pain to try to cook on a camp stove with little kids IMO.  I take sand buckets, shovels, and playdough and they play for hours.  The fire has never been a problem, but we have fires in a fire pit frequently at home, so they know it is hot and to stay away.  My older DD has slept in the regalo toddler cot from walmart when traveling for years and never had an issue.  I love camping!
  • Options

We've been camping with our kids since they were 3 months old each.  They have slept in a sleeping bag from their first camping trip.

I dress them in an extra layer for bed (we camp at high elevation).

We try to go with friends who have kids so they can wear eachother out.

Camping with kids is awesome.

imageimage Ashley Sawtelle Photography
  • Options

DD is 5 and has been going for a couple years now. DH takes her several times a year with his dad and a couple of their friends, one has three kids and brings two of them. They're also around 5-6yrs old and have been going since they were 2.5-3yrs. 

Maybe get her, her own sleeping bag if she doesn't have one already. Let her pick out some fun camping stuff. My kids love smores so I buy the cookies that have chocolate on them (forget the name) and put the marshmallow between, it's less messy and perfect for little hands. DD has a flashlight she gets to keep next to her at night. Also, we used an air mattress and just have the kids sleep between us. Just get her excited before and plan enough activities to keep her busy. Have fun!

imageimage

9/24/2011 Plymouth Firefighters 5k: 47:13
    11/12/2011 Diva Dash 5k: 45:45
    5/5/2012 STEM school 5k TBD Coming up in 2012:
    6/10/2012 Walk to Remember SIDS foundation 5k
    (in memory of a sweet baby boy)
    11/10/2012 Diva Dash 5k
  • Options

We went a couple of times last year. DD did great. We bought her the toddler Aerobed and a sleeping bag and she sleeps on that just fine, even though she was at the time still in her crib at home. We did have to bring extra blankets because we went in the fall and at higher elevation and it got really cold at night. 

We made sure to not let the kids too close to the camp fire. DD had so much fun playing with her friends. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"