Upstate NY Babies

Eve's dr appt update.

UGH.. I had just written a super long post and my computer crashed. AWESOME. So.. the short(er) version.

I am super glad we switched practices.. The dr spent 30-40 minutes with us and really talked to me for a long time. She also did an exam on Eve, and she found that she has labial adhesions just like a couple of you other ladies' DDs.. I am upset that her other dr never noticed this sooner.. It didn't look like what I expected it to look like so I wouldn't have ever noticed (cuz I kinda checked for it when it got brought up here). but she is getting a script for a cream for that.

The good news: Eve is basically perfectly 50% for height, weight and weight for height. And has gained 1lb since her 2 year appt less than 3 mos ago.  Since she was once like 3% for weight and off the bottom of the chart for weight for height, she can't be doing all THAT badly.  The dr also said from watching Eve play with books and stuff, she doesn't seem like she has any fundamental delays that would be causing the eating problems, and  she said if she really had some sort of appetite problem or aversion to eating that had been going on this long she would have started losing weight or showing signs of illness. She said even her texture issues by themselves are not a huge reason for concern.. but she didn't dismiss my concerns either.  We talked and sort of came up with a plan to put in place. 

The first thing she said was I have to choose between a)getting her to self-feed first or b)getting her to eat more variety textures first.. I can't do both at once.. which makes total sense.. but I probably wouldn't have thought of it.  So basically the plan is..

1)Make her feed herself. Start with small portions.. maybe like 3 bites of meat and 3 bites of vegetables and give her some sort of motivation or incentive to eat.. Like if you eat all that then we can go to the park or you can have dessert or something like that.. but we can't feed it to her. So it will be getting her to feed herself for awhile and less concentration on how much she is eating.  We have definitely fallen into the habit of feeding her when she doesn't eat.. so this will be the biggest change.

2)Cut out extra drinks.. so we will probably cut out her late-afternoon milk.. 

3) let her be messy when learning to self-feed. We can't scold her in anyway for being messy. I know i have been guilty of this on more than one occassion.. but it will discourage her from trying to do it herself if she thinks she isn't doing it right.

I think that is basically the gist of it. So we'll give it a shot and we go back in 3 months for her 2.5 year visit (which she wouldn't have had at her old practice) so we can see how her progress is then.

Melissa & Jeff 5-27-06
m/c 1/2/08 and 3/12/08
Eve Amelia- Born 2/24/09. 6lb 9.9oz
Natalie Ruth - Born 6/13/11 7lb 6.6oz
imagebabies
baby growth

Re: Eve's dr appt update.

• Sounds like a good change!  I'm sorry to hear about the adhesion.  That is something that scares me about having a girl!  I hope I will know what to look for.  Keep up posted on her eating habits. 
  • Wow that sounds like an awesome Dr! Glad everything went well- that's crazy that she's in the 50th% now from 5% when she was a teeny peanut!
    imageimageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • glad you are happy with the new dr!

hope you have some good results with trying the new ways 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Glad you like the new doctor! I hope the tips for getting her to eat work out. 

Sorry you have to deal with the adhesion but from what Abby's doctor told me at her follow-up it is pretty common in girls.  Abby's adhesion cleared up pretty quickly.  Now I just have to check on occasion and use Vaseline if I notice any redness.  I hope Eve doesn't fight you as bad as Abby did for me.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm glad you switched.  It sounds like it's going to be a good doctor
  • I'm glad it looks like it is going to be a good switch for you!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"