3rd Trimester

Decreasing amniotic fluid levels?

Any of the late timers (or second timers) heard that their fluid levels are decreasing at their 40 week check up?  I have to go back in Friday for a recheck and I guess if they continue decreasing they will induce.  I'm just curious as to whether once they start decreasing it's common for it to continue, how long it usually takes for the decrease to cause alarm and how common this is at 40 weeks.

I tried google but everything I'm finding is about low amniotic fluid earlier in pregnancy and it causing issues, so not really applicable.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Decreasing amniotic fluid levels?

• I'm going for twice weekly checks and have been told that fluid levels can vary greatly based upon how much liquid intake/output you have.  Here are my readings for my last four checks:

Friday: 15; Tuesday: 19; Friday: 11; Tuesday: 16 

My doctor assured me that there was nothing to be concerned about unless it dropped down in the range of 5-6 or if I am having a slow leak. 

TTC #1 5/97 - PCOS dx 6/10 - Metformin 8/10 - Moved from Endo to RE 9/10 - 50mg Clomid 9/10 - 100mg Clomid 10/18 - BFP - Beta #1 = 91 - Beta #2 = 958 EDD 6/28/11 Tater Tot arrived 6/21/11 on his Great Grandmother's 90th Birthday
  • I found out that my levels were low (5) at 39 weeks and was sent to the hospital to deliver right after the u/s. Do you know what your level was?  They told me 5 or lower was the danger zone.  I was told that the reason for decreasing fluids that late in pregnancy was due to the placenta being old and not doing its job anymore.
  • Loading the player...
  • kas80kas80 member

imageErin&Rod:
    I found out that my levels were low (5) at 39 weeks and was sent to the hospital to deliver right after the u/s. Do you know what your level was?  They told me 5 or lower was the danger zone.  I was told that the reason for decreasing fluids that late in pregnancy was due to the placenta being old and not doing its job anymore.

He didn't say what the level was and I didn't know to ask.  I'll make sure I ask on Friday when I go in (if I make it, I'm  still hoping to go into labor myself as unlikely as that is looking).  He did mention that once they start monitoring decreasing fluid levels your possibility of going straight from the appt to induction is pretty high and it sounds like that's not far off the mark so I'll make sure to have someone go with me.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Decreasing levels are normal in late pregnancy. They started checking my levels around 35/36 weeks and I have had mine drop from around 17 to about 12 which is in the normal range.  I also googled what normal was for the number of weeks pregnant I was.  Normal levels for the third trimester are between 5 and 25 centimeters.  HTH!  Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I go for bi-weekly BPP's. I'm GD and she said that sometimes depending on my blood sugars, there's either less or more fluid and also the baby is taking up more room so there's less fluid.  I wouldn't worry, they're different all the time.

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"