November 2011 Moms

Did anyone ask you this?

As we are telling more and more people about our pregnancy. I keep getting this questions over and over again:

"Was it planned?"

At first, I was getting offended, because both MH and I are 31 yrs old, stable life, marriage, careers, etc. so why would it not be planned? I mean we are not 15 years old and in high school.

But now that sooooooooo many people are asking, I am starting to wonder if this is the norm for people to ask this?

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Did anyone ask you this?

• mushEmushE member

Wowza, that's nuts!  We haven't had that at all, and I'm 32, and sounds like we're in the same life stage.  We did have lots of people say things to us at our wedding like that we should enjoy and just be married for a while, but we had already planned to start trying soon thereafter.  It is odd how people feel like they can comment on these very personal parts of your life, though. 

We also were pretty open that we were going to start trying, so it was not unexpected.  I think some people don't share that information, so the pg announcement can seem to come out of nowhere. 

DS: 11/11
    TTC #2 since March 2014. BFP in April 2014; MMC @8w. CP December 2014 @5w
  • I haven't been asked that yet, but DH and I were pretty vocal about wanting kids. So maybe the people around you didn't know that you and your DH wanted to have kids? Or maybe they're just simply rude.

How have you been answering? I would smile sweetly and say "Yes! Of course!" and if I was feeling snarky I would add "Were you?"

Pregnancy Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Bizarre! I too have not heard that yet, and I'm 31 and DH is 32. We're probably more worried about not being ready for it than anyone else! LOL. But, like the PP, I was pretty vocal about wanting children....we were planning on waiting a few more months than we did....but bottles of wine and cold weather had a different plan for us. :)

I agree with the response above with how you should respond. Hehe.

BabyFruit Ticker
    Me: 37 DH: 38 
    BFP #1 3/17/11 - DS born 12/4/11
    TFAS Dec 2013
    BFP #2 - 3/23/14 - CP 3/26/14
    BFP #3 - 8/20/14 - Natural Miscarriage 9/22/14
    BFP #4 - 1/28/15 - DS2 born 10/13/15
    Surprise BFP# 5 - 9/2/16 - Due 5/13/17

• My aunt asked me this...at a birthday party, and after hearing me say for quite a while that I'd like my kids to be about 2.5 years apart.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I haven't been asked, but I don't really keep any secrets so pretty much everyone knew I wanted a baby.  Even my boss.  In our salary negotiations when he asked me what I wanted if I could theoretically have everything, and I stated my first priority was good, free health insurance because I want a baby. 

I did, however, get the comment that "Wow, you didn't wait long, did you?"  This I find hilarious since my hubs and I were married a little over a year when we conceived, had been living together for nearly 5 years, own a home, have great jobs, and I'm 30 and he's 35.  How long were we supposed to wait?

imageimageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • For me it's definitely a common question! For a lot of people it was the first thing they asked. After I got the question a few times I started varying my answer just for fun. "Nah, it's going to be our little oops" or "yes we actually planned the exact day/time that it happened so it wouldn't interfere with some of our social plans"  :)
  • Several people have asked me if we were trying, which is sort of the same question.  I think a person or two actually asked if it was planned.  I feel like it's a normal thing for friends and family to ask.  I'm not offended by it ever.  
    imageAnniversary Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • MrzHozMrzHoz member

It's just weird... bc the first series of these questions came from DH's family ( who are known to have honeymoon conceptions so I don't think see how our news is a shocker for them) and the my friends and some MALE coworkers. Really???

Of course, it was planned, and that's what I tell them, but I find it odd that they would think otherwise, and what they would expect me to say if it wasn't planned..

"Yeah.. we didn't know what we were doing, it was all a big accident" ??????

BabyFruit Ticker

• So far only one person has asked us that and it was SIL. Other than that, everyone hasn't said anything about it.
  • I have had a lot of people ask. But by far was the oddest was the RN from my first appointment asking and seeming confused when we said yes and that we went off BC to try.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Well, a lot of people still don't know I'm pregnant, but so far only my Mom has asked me this.  However I won't be surprised if more people ask us.  We've been married for 6 years, I'm 35, until a few years ago I didn't want kids and as far as a lot of people know I never changed my mind.  Still, I do think it's kind of a weird question, and frankly, I think there *must* be a better way of asking!
  • I know I've actually been guilty of this myself so I can offer a possible perspective on why that question.  When it's popped out of my mouth the case is generally that the couple in question may have said they wanted kids at some point but never mentioned they were trying (which I know isn't my business anyway) or gave any indication that they were thinking anytime soon and then it feels like out of the blue they're announcing that they're pregnant.  I've gotten the question myself now and I totally understand since we didn't tell anyone we were thinking about TTC since we didn't want any pressure in case there were issues, etc (luckily no such problem).
    Pregnancy Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • imageMrsG.060708:
    My aunt asked me this...at a birthday party, and after hearing me say for quite a while that I'd like my kids to be about 2.5 years apart.

This lol.  I think my whole family has asked.  Then when other people find out that I'm pg, they look at DS and go, "How old is he??"  He's 18mo but he's small for his age so they seem to think that we had an oops baby since no one could possible want their children that close together right??  Confused

Mc 6/2/08 at 6w2d * CP 11/22/08 * CP 1/21/09 - Dx compound heterozygous MTHFR 3/23/09 - BFP 3/24/09
  • I got this question a lot in the beginning but not as much now. It's awkward no matter what. I guess I can understand that if people don't know we were TTC (or as we like to say not not trying) then it would be a surprise. But as a PP said, we weren't telling people we were TTC because we didn't want the added pressure.

• Yup, get it all the time!

BFP 03/01/2011 - DD  Annabelle 10/28/2011
    BFP 12/2/2012 - MC 12/19/2012 @ 5w
    BFP 01/25/2013 - MC 02/09/2013
    BFP 09/09/2013 - DUE 05/17/2014
  • Sex = babies!?!?  Who knew!?  Ha ha.

We have been asked "Is this a good thing?"  I think that's kind of the same thing.  I guess ours came because we had a m/c in September and people didn't expect us to try so soon again?  Who knows...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • I'm getting it pretty often.  Married 2 years, Careers, House, nearing 30.  Yeah, it was planned.  I mean I KNOW what causes babies.  I think its weird.  Why ask?  And its not from anyone that I would admit that it wasn't - if it wasn't.
  • That seems to be everyone's first question they ask me after "Congrats!" and then they follow it up with something like "I didn't expect you were the baby type!"

Hmm...thanks...

Raising a threenager since 11/11
    Baby boy #2 due 5/6/15
  • imageporu:
    Yes, I have heard "were you guys trying?"  I thought it was really weird.  One time though, when i said yes, the girl started asking me lots of questions about TTC because she had started trying the month before. So while the question is rude, I do see how some people are asking because they want to compare experiences or seek knowledge.

Same thing happened to me with a co-worker, and from that perspective I didn't mind.  She has been "not not trying" for over a year now and really wants to get pregnant.  A few others have asked, for them I'm less understanding but simply answer yes.  It was planned, we just are fairly private and didn't feel that people needed to know what we were trying ahead of time.  Even with friends and family, it's just not their business...but that's just me!

• Yes, many times! It's really annoying.

We have been married for almost 3 years and together for 7. We weren't "trying", but I don't know why anyone would be surprised either way. I don't like to tell people that the baby was a surprise, because I don't want to sound like the baby is unwanted in any way. I wish people would just say congrats and then shut up! 

• Jing22Jing22 member
    Still rude in my books.  One person asked us this.  DH and I are both 29, have been married 5 years, and it took a year to get pregnant.  I was super annoyed by that person.

BabyFruit Ticker

• Yep, a few times.  It's an odd question and very personal to ask.  I usually just give a short answer and move on.
  • I get asked that a lot, but in my case, it wasn't planned. And I'd been pretty vocal in the past about not wanting kids. After I told my parents, my dad texted a picture of the sonogram to his best friend with the caption "Guess who!" Best Friend called back and guessed my brother's fiancee, and then my mom's sister. Then dad told him it was me.
  • I haven't gotten this question because basically everyone knew we were trying.  The weirdest question I've gotten came from a male coworker who asked "Does your husband know?"   Seriously???  Do you think I'd tell you before my husband???
  • imagesavvyash:
    I'm getting it pretty often.  Married 2 years, Careers, House, nearing 30.  Yeah, it was planned.  I mean I KNOW what causes babies.  I think its weird.  Why ask?  And its not from anyone that I would admit that it wasn't - if it wasn't.

This, exactly!  We have lived together for 5 years without getting KU so why would you think this is an accident?

I had a preg. co-worker ask me "how long did you have to try?" I thought this was the rudest question yet. She got preg. "by accident" and has said numerous times how all of her friends have fertility problems so she was sure she would too...ick...

I think what people are fishing for when they ask that question is a little drama to add to your story. People love scandal and want to tell others if it wasn't planned:)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"