November 2011 Moms
Options

:( my heart hurts.

Never did I think I would someday be helping my little sister bandage her self-inflicted wounds. It's heartbreaking.

April 29, she attempted suicide, and after was sent to a youth facility for about two weeks. She came home, and went back again after a couple of days, and was there for a week. She is back home again now, and has been for a few days. My husband and I are in town visiting my family. And today, my mom left with my other siblings, and my sister and I stayed at the house. I wasn't feeling well, and was tired. My mom said she felt comfortable, as long as Sister did, with me taking a nap. She said she felt fine, and would wake me if she needed me. She's been doing a lot better, so this was sort of a "trust test" if you will. After about 1.5 hours I woke up and went to check on her. She told me she found the keys to the "safe room" (where my parents have put anything harmful) and went in and found a razor. She showed me her arm and it was horrible. Needless to say, she is now back on complete line of sight, and probably will be for awhile.

I hate that she can't instantly be fixed. It drives me crazy/worries me so much. It also makes my heart ache for my future sons/daughters who will eventually endure their own heartaches and such. I know it's a part of life, but I just want to protect their innocence forever, in a way. :( 

Sigh. Just needed to vent a bit, I suppose. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: :( my heart hurts.

• Options

((hugs)) That is such a dark place to be... I should know at least to some extent.  I wish there were a way to fix her with a snap of the fingers, but it's a journey.  Do just as you are, be her sister, be her ear, show her love, and I pray that there is a way to help her get better.  I won't pry, because I know it hurts.

I'll keep her in my thoughts.  

Army Girl, been in since Feb 2003 married to an Army Man, in since 1990. Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    You family is in our prayers. I hope she gets the help she needs, as well as your family, to get through this. <hugs>
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I'm sorry to hear you are going through this.  I see this daily in my job, and it's horrible.  It is just as painful for the family as it is for the person struggling.  At this time, I am thinking about you and your family, but your sister needs to be safe.  She seems to have proven that she is not able to be trusted and is in such a dark place that she is putting all of her emotions and needs before everyone else's.  At this time, she can not be trusted, and it sounds like you guys are all aware of that, so good for you!!!  Sadly, a lot of people don't see that or get "fed up" and give up.  She may need to be hospitalized if she is not able to keep herself safe.  PM me if you need anything.

Hang in there.  Remember to take care of yourself--and share that advice with your parents, too.  Sometimes the best "medicine" for something like this is removing her from the situation and giving her 24/7 care with professionals who can help her identify why she keeps doing this.

T & P to you.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    I am so so sorry to hear that you and your family are going through this I can only imagine how difficult things are. At this point just show her all the love and support that you can. eventually she will learn that life is worth living.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I'm so sorry your sister and your family is going through this. She has a long journey ahead of her. She has to hit rock bottom before she picks herself back up. Be there for her and don't forget about yourself as an expectant Mom.

DH's cousin got a DUI and got his license taken away for 8 months. He had to quit his job and collection agencies were constantly harassing him. DH's cousin was home alone and called his cousin, Jimmy, and told him his plans to attempt. Jimmy called us and we called 911. Once the ambulance arrive he was pretty much "pronounced dead" but he came back in the ambulance ride to the hospital. That was his rock bottom and he's a whole new person now. He looks back and realizes all that he could have missed if he attempted. It was a long road but he made it. All of his family chipped in and paid his bills off so no one would harass him anymore.

What DH and I do now is we call him often just to chat, try and include him in EVERYTHING that we do as a family, tell him we love him whenever we can, offer help when ever we feel like he needs it, etc. He's such a good kid. It broke my heart in a million piece once we found out he wanted to end his life.

December '14 May Siggy Challenge
    Favorite TV/Movie Mom - Tara Knowles from Sons of Anarchy
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Options

Sorry to hear about your sister, its never easy to see family that you are close to in pain. Its very hard dealing with something like this especially when it doesnt make sense to you as to why they would want to do that. 

I worked in a Cosmetology School and each student got a kit with all their equipment on the frist day of class. This set of students got additional props about 6 months later as new regulations came in place and it now included a pack of razors. Needless to say it was like giving oxygen to a fire when it came to one student. She was in class and her teacher found her cutting and bleeding under the desk during class time. All the students were moved out of the room and we just had to work with her to put it down. In front of her we (3 women) were strong but as soon as everything was over we all broke down in our offices. The scary part was that she had a 2 year old daughter that depended only on her. It was very hard to witness.

T&P going out to you and your family. I cant imagine this being easy in any way. Keep us updated! 

BFP 03/01/2011 - DD  Annabelle 10/28/2011
    BFP 12/2/2012 - MC 12/19/2012 @ 5w
    BFP 01/25/2013 - MC 02/09/2013
    BFP 09/09/2013 - DUE 05/17/2014
  • Options

Aww....I'm sorry that everyone is going through this! I know it's complicated for everyone involved. I hope she begins to heal physically and emotionally. T&P to you and your family. We're always here if you need to someone to listen (read?).

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Oh! sending love your way!! 

My mom was bi polar and hurt herself alot while I was growing up!  I'm glad your family is trying to help your sister by taking care of her and watching her!  I wish I would have been older so I could have taken care of my mom like that!  I lost her when I was 19!!  You must have a very strong family!!! 

image image Siggy Challange: Before and After 2 Days old Image and video hosting by TinyPic Almost 9 Months Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Hugs, thouths and prayers to you and your family!!!
    Pregnancy Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Wow, best of luck to you and your family. 
  • Options

I am so sorry you are dealing with this and I really hope your sister can recover from her pain.  Best wishes to you and your family as you get through this. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    DMoney will be a kickass big sister
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    hugs honey- i'm so sorry that you are going through this.  I know it is so difficult because it is so frustrating to see that happen to someone you love and not just start shaking them and telling them to just be normal.   I had a very similar experience in high school with my best friend.  I just didn't understand it and what she was going through.  She was in and out of facilities for almost 2 years.  After the first 6 months I started to distance myself away from her, which was such a mistake.  So just be there for your sister and know that hopefully with therapy she will get better.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    TP&J to you and your family.  I was in a dark place like that 10 years ago.  The only things that helped me escape were a caring boss who reached out to me & encouraged me to get help, a therapist and meds.  The dark clouds are so heavy that it's nearly impossible to break through from either side.  Keep trying though.  I would encourage you and your family to seek therapy to help deal with this.  It's very difficult & I can imagine you never know what to say or do.  I remember my mom saying things to me like "keep your chin up!".  Looking back, I know she meant well & just didn't know what to say but at the time it was one of the worst things she could say.  I remember responding emotionally - do you think it's that easy??  Like I can just snap out of it?  Oh, yeah, let me keep my chin up, that will make everything better.  Confused  Anyway, I'll be thinking of you & your sister.  Hugs.
  • Options

Oh man, I'm so sorry you and your family have to deal with this, and I'm so sorry that your sister feels the way she does...

Thinking of you all during this tough time, and praying things get better soon!!!!! <3 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imageKBBH:

I'm sorry to hear you are going through this.  I see this daily in my job, and it's horrible.  It is just as painful for the family as it is for the person struggling.  At this time, I am thinking about you and your family, but your sister needs to be safe.  She seems to have proven that she is not able to be trusted and is in such a dark place that she is putting all of her emotions and needs before everyone else's.  At this time, she can not be trusted, and it sounds like you guys are all aware of that, so good for you!!!  Sadly, a lot of people don't see that or get "fed up" and give up.  She may need to be hospitalized if she is not able to keep herself safe.  PM me if you need anything.

Hang in there.  Remember to take care of yourself--and share that advice with your parents, too.  Sometimes the best "medicine" for something like this is removing her from the situation and giving her 24/7 care with professionals who can help her identify why she keeps doing this.

T & P to you.

They wouldn't have minded to keep her hospitalized longer. They wanted to, but insurance was refusing to cover it anymore. I do agree, though. 

• Options
    I just want to thank all of you wonderful ladies for you thoughtful, kind words. They were such an encouragement to me when I saw them this morning. It means a lot to me. Thank you so much!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"