Success after IF
Options

Toddler changing words (adding letters on purpose)...Q

Does anyone else's kid do this? Rhayna started doing this right before Roslyn was born which makes me think its related but she adds the "B" sound to the beginning of a lot of words and its on purpose. She will say them the correct way but now the habit of "BA" seems to be engrained in these words. I don't want to have yet another thing to correct her on (I hate being nit picky and she's def into testing EVERY button she can) but I'm wondering if this is normal or not.

"Ba-grage" = Garage
"Ba-graffe" = Girrafe
There are more and its not just G words but I can't think of them right now.

Thoughts?

Re: Toddler changing words (adding letters on purpose)...Q

• Options
    I have two thoughts about why she's doing this. One is that she is experimenting with language. The other is that she is trying to get your attention (push your buttons). It might be a bit of "negative attention" is better than no attention.

Regardless, at this point, I would not correct her, I would model the proper word for her, in context. I can only imagine how frustrating it seems when all of these things, little and big, add up. Keep loving her and doing what you can. You are a wonderful mama!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    we've never corrected it and in fact play language games where we change words silly too....I really think its her way of having her own little language and seeing if it gets a reaction (which it doesn't lol)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Charlie does it too. In fact he went from saying More correctly for 2 years to now he says- Morn. It drives me crazy. I think he does it for attention.
    imageimage
    Married 8.13.2005, M/C 12/8/06- 5 weeks, M/C 2/27/07- 7 weeks, M/C w/ D&C 8/10/09-6.5 weeks *Charles Lawrence born 5/2/08 @ 3:14am, 7lb 8oz, 20.5 inches. Clomid, Crinone and baby aspirin. *Alexandra Claire born 9/14/10 @ 9:52am 6lb 14oz, 20.5 inches. Femara, Crinone and baby aspirin. Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

I am guessing it is totally normal.  I remember playing a game with my dad where we made every word start with "p."  At the time I knew it was a game, but I also remember thinking it was fun to make new words, having him guess what the original word was (specifically it started when I wanted a word that rhymed with window, and so we made up the word "pindow").

I would just keep using the correct words when talking to her, and I am sure she will not go the rest of her life saying ba-grage instead of garage!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Cal (2.5) has recently started playing with words.  He makes up words, rhymes them, and uses different consonants for words that he already knows & pronounces correctly.  He doesn't do this consistently with the same words every time.  It's like a play thing for him - all of a sudden he'll bust out with a whole string of them.  For him, it's definitely experimental.
    Childhood cancer (DH) + chemo + radiation = 0 sperm.
    LO #1 - 1 unmedicated/self-monitored IUI w/ donor sperm.
    LO #2 - 1 m/c, 2 BFNs, 4th IUI worked (unmedicated/self-monitored with new donor sperm).
    Life is beautiful!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"