August 2011 Moms

What did you start stocking up on?

The nursery is coming along (YAY!) and we now have the closet organized and set up so we can start putting things away.

Except that we don't have anything to put in there! haha

I know my shower isn't until July, and I have things like swaddlers, baby care stuff, burp clothes, etc on there.  Is there anything I should start stocking up on even before the shower? What can you never have too much of? I'd like to start slowly filling it up, but I don't know what the "must have" items are! haha

so... what have you been buying? Smile

Re: What did you start stocking up on?

• This is my first baby and Ive been asking the same question. I would say you can never have enough wipes. Thats one item I plan to stock WAY up on before LO gets here! I cant think of anything else off the top of my head that people have told me. HTH!
    Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think its hard to stock up, especially as a FTM.  What if you stock up on a certain kind of wipes but your baby (or you!) doesnt like that brand? or baby has an allergic reaction? I mean, is that common or no? Or same thing with diapers.. you may buy a ton of one thing and not really like them and then you are stuck! haha I think its a good idea to try a few things first before stocking up :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I've been stocking up on diaper coupons, and I'm waiting for the right deals to go and buy some! I haven't stocked up on much else for baby yet, I'm waiting until after my shower.

One thing I am DEFINITELY stocking up on, however, is household items- trash bags, laundry detergent, fabric sheets, toilet paper, shampoo/ body wash etc.. I'm hoping to build a big enough stockpile of cleaning/ personal supplies, so that I don't have to rush out & get these things when baby's only a few days or weeks old.. since we use public transit. Also I've been clipping coupons & shopping for deals on these items. Hope this is helpful, if you just have a shopping bite that needs scratching, I thought it was a wonderful suggestion from a friend who recently had a LO.

• I am in the same boat!  I don't want to buy too much because I want to wait until my shower in July but that seems SOOO far away! 

A few things I am thinking about is obviously wipes (I don't think brand matters) and diapers if I can find good sales (still trying to read/learn what a good price per diaper is especially when using coupons).  

Also, I have bought a few bottles and pacifiers when they were on sale of various brands so we have some on hand to try out if things aren't going well.  

I have also went ahead and purchased things like the breathable bumper and the mattress pad because I figured those aren't really "fun" shower gifts so its less likely someone would purchase those.   

• CBC08CBC08 member

I've purchased two packs of diapers, even though I know I should wait on those. I'm trying to get stocked up on wipes. I bought a whole bunch of stuff today- a pack of diapers, a pack of wipes, a set of five burp cloths, Johnson's baby wash and lotion, and a Boppy.

I got a great deal on the Boppy, too- the pillow and a cover for 26.50!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic First step, conquer the crib. Then, the world! Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • atackatack member
    imageshockleyh:

I've been stocking up on diaper coupons, and I'm waiting for the right deals to go and buy some! I haven't stocked up on much else for baby yet, I'm waiting until after my shower.

One thing I am DEFINITELY stocking up on, however, is household items- trash bags, laundry detergent, fabric sheets, toilet paper, shampoo/ body wash etc.. I'm hoping to build a big enough stockpile of cleaning/ personal supplies, so that I don't have to rush out & get these things when baby's only a few days or weeks old.. since we use public transit. Also I've been clipping coupons & shopping for deals on these items. Hope this is helpful, if you just have a shopping bite that needs scratching, I thought it was a wonderful suggestion from a friend who recently had a LO.

Wow what a good idea!  I might have to do this too!  

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Pregnancy Ticker
  • The only thing I have stocked up on is wipes. AmazonMom has amazing deals I get them shipped to me once a month for free with subscribe and save and I get 3 huge packs of huggies wipes for $13. I have also done the same thing for diapers but have different brands each time and sizes.

One thing I heard you can never have enough of is burp cloths. So im thinking of starting a small stock of those.

• I don't really plan to stock up - although I did register for plenty of wipes and diapers so maybe people will stock for me. Sure, it will be tougher for the two of us to go shopping for things with a newborn, but I can always send DH out, or have him stay with baby while I run out for a bit. The closest Target isn't very far away!
  • I would not recommend stocking up on diapers or wipes because your LO might have a reaction/sensitivity to the wipes you stock up on and I know that each kid is shaped differently so different diapers work for different kids (I stocked up on Pampers only to find out that they leaked and Huggies fit my skinny, tall, girl way better!)

I also would not stock up baby wash/lotion, etc. because you never know how your LO will do with the ones you buy. Additionally, you don't need much, my daughter took about a year and half to go through 1 bottle of baby wash, I've got so much stocked up that she'll still be using it when she's 10!

Something you can't go wrong with stocking up on is diaper genie refills (if you are using a diaper genie). When they go on a really good sale buy a whole bunch, because it sucks to buy them at full price when you run out and need them. You'll go through 1 every month to month in a half.

Also, I never used burp cloths, not even one. So you may not want to stock up as much as you think.

• I've been buying some items when I have great coupons.  I've bought several packs of Huggies and a few cans of Similac since I've had really good coupons.  I do plan on breast feeding, however I know it's not always an option so that's why I bought the Similac.  I know that if I do end up getting to breast feed as planned then I'll just take the formula back, or DH has a cousin that's using Similac right now so I may just give it to her.  Also, I know that if DS can't wear Huggies, then I know I can take those back too.  But like I said, I've only bought them bc I've had some really great coupons.
  • We are stocking up on diapers and wipes (it helps that my MIL work in a hospital and can get diapers SUPER cheap I mean like 360 for $48). We are making sure to get them in a variety of sizes. Plus, I have two friends who are pregnant, months behind me, so anything I don't use I can give to them if I cannot exchange it (the non-hospital ones obviously).
  • I'm stocking up on diapers and wipes...I just tape the receipt to the package and if that brand doesn't go over well then I'll have the receipt handy to do a return.  Other than those 2 things I don't really know of anything that I really used a bunch last time to stock up on
  • megd06megd06 member

be careful about stocking up on diapers/wipes...those are things that you have to figure out what you like (and baby!) through trial and error. I didn't find a wipe brand and type (since there's all different types...thick care, sensitive, fragrance free, etc) that I liked for about 6 months.

I didn't really stock up on much, except for cheapo onesies, like those $3 walmart ones (Garanimals)...they're really good quality--nice and thick--and a great price. Even then, I didn't buy too many. For me personally, I couldn't have too many burp cloths--DS was a spit-upper for the first 6 months until we found a formula that took care of that, and I am so glad I had a ton of those burp cloths--so that I wasn't doing laundry all day. The cloth diapers were great for spit ups, but I also liked the thinner flannel ones--I think gerber makes them. Same with washcloths, especially if you are having a boy. They're great for placing over the "genital" area during diaper changes to avoid getting sprayed.

• I think "stocking up" is a relative term.  Obviously I am not going to fill my closet full of pampers diapers and then find out LO can't wear them. 

For me, I would like to get enough of a "stock" that I can make it a month or so without going to the store.  This includes a variety of brands so I can try various products during that time with LO.  Again, obviously this isn't fool proof and I'm sure we will be running back and forth to the store.  

Plus, when you really start watching sales and using coupons its is such a pain to have to pay full price for anything.  

• imageFisherman'sWife:

I think "stocking up" is a relative term.  Obviously I am not going to fill my closet full of pampers diapers and then find out LO can't wear them. 

I agree with this. I think that getting a variety of brands of items is a good idea.

• LJR 84LJR 84 member

Nope. I think it's silly to "stock up" on baby items, especially before your shower.

• I think if you get yourself a basic "stash" going before your shower, you would be okay. Something like:

1-2 packs of socks

about 6-7 onesies(basic or design) - you will use these, go different sizes too

1-2 packs of those flannel receiving blankets

1 package of burp clothes

1-2 of those cute plush blankets

washclothes

a couple different packages of diapers(no more than 1 in newborn size)

wipes(the only thing you have to be careful is that they will dry out)

1 - baby wash, lotion, diaper cream, Mylicon, Infant Fever Reducer

1 - crib sheet, mattress pad cover, changing pad cover

I think it is a good idea to get started on these things before your shower. I only got a few things off of my registry and ended up having to go buy everything. If you buy just one type/package/set of the basics, then at least you have something should you not get them at your shower.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Our First Baby - Jax born 08/27/2009 BFP #2 01/27/2010 - Natural Miscarriage - 02/20/2010 @ 9w BFP #3 12/26/2010 - EDD 08/27/2011 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Wow you ladies have been really good compared to me! LOL!

I have a bunch of diapers, different brands and sizes, that I purchased with coupons and got as samples from calling/emailing companies. As well as wipes. I totally understand that LO and/or I may not like them but I feel much more prepared having them then not. I also purchases some lotion and wash and diaper ointments, again with good coupons or on a good sale - I didn't go crazy on this stuff because I know LO will be tiny and use so little.

I have some blankets and burp pads I bought on clearance. Basically if I see something that's a fabulous deal I buy it. Hopefully at my shower people will give me gift receipts so I can return/exchange if I end up with too much of a couple things. If not, I have a few friends due a couple months after me and I like to donate to woman's shelters in my area. They are thrilled anytime anything baby is brought to them, they don't get nearly enough - so that's my backup plan for any unopened diaper packs I have that wont work for LO.

I'm too excited to be expected to wait to go shopping until after my baby shower, as I explained to H. LOL

Edit: Forgot to mention! I have also purchased some bottles and pacifers. Again on clearance (due to package change, but the pacifers are the still the same - I checked in case they became the "favorites) and with coupons. Different brands/styles so I can see what works the best.

And a TON of clothes. But that's 95% my mother's fault who is having way too much fun shopping right now - I actually had to tell her to slow down because I'm worried he is going to out grow all the stuff she has bought!

Married & TTC #1 since 8/28/10 BFP #1 10/25/10 - EDD 7/5/11 -M/C 11/10/10 BFP #2 12/16/10 - EDD 8/26/11 - BORN 8/10/11 Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I could never have enough of those little kimono-style Gerber shirts with DD, and they're annoyingly difficult to get hands on around here, so I'm stocking up on those every time I find them.  I'm also stocking up on what we always call "banitos" in my family - translating literally to diapers, that's exactly what they are (one-layer, flat cloth diapers), except we use them as oversized burp cloths/cuddle blankets.  I loved them, and stock up on those every chance as well.  And since I'm cloth diapering, I'm stocking up on the diapers we actually intend for her bum, and the little washcloths I'm using as wipes as well.

As a few PP have mentioned, be careful about stocking up on disposable diapers and wipes because it's a very trial-and-error endeavor to find diapers that won't leak/cause rash, etc. on your LO's bum.  It would suck pretty good to have a huge stockpile of diapers and/or wipes and find out you can't use them.  If you're stocking up, try to focus on things like blankets, burp cloths, clothes, socks, etc.  Things you know for sure baby will need and use a lot of, and things, like mittens and socks, that tend to get lost very easily.  And then one idea about stocking up on household items is a great one, too!

// I love you too. //

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"