Breastfeeding
Options

Tell me about poop.

Is your LOs BM poop still really thin? DD's has become more like peanut butter (or a thin peanut butter) and it smells a lot more than it used to. She is 14 weeks, but it has been a little thicker like this for a little while. 

Normal?

BabyFruit Ticker
Married 1/20/07
DD Born: 2/18/11
LO #2 EDD: 10/16/15

Re: Tell me about poop.

• Options

I am mainly asking because I cant shake this feeling deep inside that MIL may be sneaking formula to DD. (she also babysits my FF Niece so I know she keeps formula in the house) And I feel like the change in the look and smell of her poop happened when I went back to work 4 weeks ago... and she started being babysat by MIL 5 days a week. This suspicion comes from the fact that MIL always makes comment of how DD still seems hungry after feedings....

I could just be paranoid and over worried about maintaining my supply to meet her needs during the day when I am at work and letting my imagination get the best of me.

What signals could I look for to try and figure out if she is sneaking formula? I hate the fact that I am even suspicious that MIL would be sneaking her formula... But I have this sinking feeling in my stomach.

BabyFruit Ticker
    Married 1/20/07
  • Options
    I think DS's poop started changing at about 4 months.  He was only on BM at that age, I hadn't been giving him cereal or anything.  I hope your MIL isn't sneaking formula, since you are obviously against it.  I would be upset.  Have you talked to her about it?
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I noticed a huge difference in poops when I started supplementing with formula a couple weeks ago. I do half formula and half breastmilk and that's enough to change it drastically. DS's poops went from yellow in color to dark green almost immediately, and that's with only half formula. I would say if it's still the yellow mustard color, then she's probably not sneaking formula. Not sure about this, but that was just my experience. His poops stayed the same consistency too, just a different color.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageerin_857:
    I noticed a huge difference in poops when I started supplementing with formula a couple weeks ago. I do half formula and half breastmilk and that's enough to change it drastically. DS's poops went from yellow in color to dark green almost immediately, and that's with only half formula. I would say if it's still the yellow mustard color, then she's probably not sneaking formula. Not sure about this, but that was just my experience. His poops stayed the same consistency too, just a different color.

The color is like a tan color, almost the same as peanut butter. ha ha so it is the same in texture AND color to peanut butter I guess... Could that texture and color be a result of Mostly BM and a little formula? Rather than half and half like you are doing?

I try to smell DDs breath too, I would recognize that grose formula smell anywhere... but I dont smell anything.

I have not talked to her about it. MIL primarally speaks spanish, so the language barrier can be slightly difficult, she knows english, but I sometimes feel like she may not understand everything I say to her. I have asked DH if he has ever instructed her to supplement when DD seems like she is still hungry, and he said to his knowledge his mom has never given DD formula.

BabyFruit Ticker
    Married 1/20/07
  • Options

imagejana_86:
    I think DS's poop started changing at about 4 months.  He was only on BM at that age, I hadn't been giving him cereal or anything.  I hope your MIL isn't sneaking formula, since you are obviously against it.  I would be upset.  Have you talked to her about it?

HA!!!! Upset would be the understatement of the century!

BabyFruit Ticker
    Married 1/20/07
  • Options

Not to freak you out, but the poop you describe sounds exactly like my nieces poop, and she is only FF.

Now, this is my first child and he is only 2 months and I never had a lot of experience with babies or baby poop before I became a mother.

BFP #1 2/10/10: No HB on 4/29/10 at 15 wk, D&C 4/30/10, Baby measured 11-12 wks. First Pregnancy and first loss. BFP #2 7/25/10: Blake Daniel arrived 3/25/11 BFP #3 3/9/12: Our Turkey Baby! Due Date: 11/19/12 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
  • Options
    I just started giving LO a two ounce bottle of formula along with his nighttime feed, and his poop hasn't changed except for the fact he used to go every other day, and now it's once a week.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Is she pooping less often? Nora is EBF and has gone through phases (growth spurts, I suspect) where she goes a few days between poops, and when she does, it's thick and peanut buttery (ick). No different smell, though.

Regardless, can your DH have a serious talk with your MIL and make sure she knows how strongly you feel about not giving formula? That would be a huge issue for me...

norathe girlsamelia
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

To answer the questions asked:

Her frequency of poop is still the same. It was pretty frequent up until about 2 mos, then slowed down to every few days (I was still on mat. leave) and it is still the same. If anything, I would say she is pooping more often recently to be honest.

DH won't talk to her, or at least I cant trust him to if I ask, he thinks I am unnecessarily freaking out and thinks I need to trust his mom, and it would be rude for me to question her. I told him if I were to EVER find out he told her to give DD formula behind my back I would be extremely hurt. I need to know what she is eating. I am not so much against formula, I will supplement if I need to (if pedi recommends) what I am against is being lied to... and I sure hope that isn't the case.

It KILLS me that she did not have a 3 month check up... I have so many questions related to feeding and her growth and all that. She goes again on June 21st, it can't come soon enough!

BabyFruit Ticker
    Married 1/20/07
  • Options
    My LO is 12 weeks.  Her poops have been less frequent and are definitely thicker. She only gets breastmilk from me or from the bottle from DH.  I recently noticed her poops kinda smell too, kind of like elmer's glue.  weird, i know.  I think it's because she has had a few almost blow outs.  Seems like since she's only pooping once a day or every two days, she's stored up a bunch.  More concentration of poop, the smellier, i guess.    How would she be supplementing with formula?  Have you snooped around to see if there is any formula around her house?  Also, i've been told formula really stinky.  Do you smell the used bottles to see if they smell funny?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    oh, and her poop is dark yellow, brownish.  I have also heard formula will make it green, so check for that.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

imagecwhitloc:
    My LO is 12 weeks.  Her poops have been less frequent and are definitely thicker. She only gets breastmilk from me or from the bottle from DH.  I recently noticed her poops kinda smell too, kind of like elmer's glue.  weird, i know.  I think it's because she has had a few almost blow outs.  Seems like since she's only pooping once a day or every two days, she's stored up a bunch.  More concentration of poop, the smellier, i guess.    How would she be supplementing with formula?  Have you snooped around to see if there is any formula around her house?  Also, i've been told formula really stinky.  Do you smell the used bottles to see if they smell funny?

MIL babysits my niece who is FF so she always has formula in the house, how easy would it be for her to just sneak DD a little formula? Also I supply MIL with her own set of bottles so I dont have to transport them back and forth every day, I send my milk in storage bags.

I need to stop stressing, It will only negatively affect my supply more... I started taking fenugreek, hoping to see an improvement. And I plan to just ask MIL straight out today when I pick up DD about if she has ever given her any formula.

BabyFruit Ticker
    Married 1/20/07
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"