January 2012 Moms
Options

Progesterone Levels much lower than last week...

Hi Ladies!

I'm planning on calling my dr office tomorrow AM, but just wondering if anyone has any insight in the meantime... My RE has been monitoring my progesterone and it was as follows:

3 weeks, 6 days: 23.1
4 weeks, 1 day: 28 (started progesterone suppositories that day)
4 weeks, 6 days: 28.1 
6 weeks: 38
7 weeks (today): 24.8

I'm concerned that they were increasing and then dropped from 38 last week to 24.8 today.  They didn't call me from the RE, I'm guessing since 24.8 is still within a normal range, but the drop is scaring me.  I didn't think that any drop in progesterone during pregnancy is OK.  Anyone have any insight!  TIA!

Baby at 17 Weeks, 1 Day
BabyFruit Ticker
BFP#1 11/13/09 - MMC 1/7/10 - D&C 1/11/10
BFP#2 5/9/11 - Due Jan 17, 2012!
My TTC Charts
My Blog

Re: Progesterone Levels much lower than last week...

• Options

You are on suppositories still? 

I had a drop in progesterone and am on oral medication. She said there is no need to continue to test progesterone once you are taking medication for it. 

I know I'm not of much help but keep us updated!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Hi!  Yes, I'm still on the suppositories.  I actually had a great ultrasound today too - the baby measured 7 weeks, 1 day and had a heart rate of 136.  I'm just a bit freaked out by the drop and hoping it's not going to continue to go that way... 
    Baby at 17 Weeks, 1 Day
    BabyFruit Ticker
    My TTC Charts
    My Blog
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    You know, at my 6 week ultrasound I mentioned a lot of intermittent lower right side mild cramping, and the tech at that time said I had a corpus luteum cyst and that they usually resolve on their own.  I haven't noticed those cramps in the last few days... I wonder if the increased progesterone that week had something to do with that cyst and now it's resolved and the progesterone levels decreased because of that?  I guess there's no way to know that.  I wish I'd asked the tech today to check out that ovary, but it didn't occur to me since I haven't been feeling the cramping.  Hopefully my RE office can give me some insight... or will let me come in for another blood draw before next Tuesday just for some peace of mind.
    Baby at 17 Weeks, 1 Day
    BabyFruit Ticker
    My TTC Charts
    My Blog
  • Options
    Mr RE said that progesterone will level off at some point and even fall.  Since 24.8 is still really good I'm guessing it's not an issue.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker

BFP #1 6.17.10 - natural M/C 5w2d
    BFP #2 8.4.10 - missed M/C, D&C 8w
    BFP #3 1.18.11 - natural M/C 5w1d
    BFP #4 5.6.11 - 13dpo: hcg 68, p 16.3; 16dpo: hcg 211,
    p16.6; 18dpo: hcg 416, p 15.6; 25dpo: hcg 6,007
    DS born 1/30/12
    BFP #5 4.28.13 - LO due 1/4/14

• Options
    ambs21ambs21 member
    I would say it's probably just slowing down on production since the placenta will take over in a week or two.  I wouldn't worry since it's still in the normal range.  I know that's easier said than done, though!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    ShaylizShayliz member
    24 is still a great number, which is probably why they didn't call you. as long as you don't dip below 15-10 (I can't remember which) they'll probably just keep you on your current order of suppositories. 
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers image image image
  • Options
    I believe that if you are on suppositories, they won't always reflect in your blood draws.  I do know that progesterone fluctuates wildly throughout the day, so it could just be that you had your draw when it was at a lower point.  My RE doesn't even test progesterone once her patients are on suppositories. 
    TTC #1 since 8/09
    BFP#1 - 9/2/10, EDD 5/14/11, Twins Hannah and Liam lost 11/7/10 @ 13w1d.
    BFP #2 - 2/9/11, EDD 10/13/11, LO lost 2/13/11 @ 5w4d
    BFP #3 - 5/9/11, DS born 1/13/12

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    ~*~My BFP Chart~*~Our Story~*~
    ~*~Labor Buddies with Sweet Turnip - Welcome Baby Girl 2/23/12 & Aluenna - Welcome Ivy 1/6/12~*~
  • Options
    Ladies, thanks so much for your responses!  I'm definitely feeling a lot better about it.  I guess being followed so closely early on is a blessing and a curse - when you've got so much information at your fingertips, it's hard not to obsess a bit.  Also, this whole PGAL thing makes you crazy just waiting for the other shoe to drop!
    Baby at 17 Weeks, 1 Day
    BabyFruit Ticker
    My TTC Charts
    My Blog
  • Options
    Just got off the phone with the nurse at my RE office who confirmed what all of you lovely ladies told me: the progesterone levels can fluctuate day by day and can fluctuate on the time of day, so I shouldn't worry.  Thanks again!  :)
    Baby at 17 Weeks, 1 Day
    BabyFruit Ticker
    My TTC Charts
    My Blog
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"