Breastfeeding
Options

problems at 1 month

My son had a good latch from day way until just the past few days.  About five minutes into eating he starts getting angry and pulling back with my nipple still in his mouth. He gets frantic and cries.  Is this because the milk isn't coming out fast enough? Has anyone had this problem and fixed it?  I feel so bad for him but don't know what to do.  thanks

Re: problems at 1 month

• Options

Is it always at the same time everyday? babies are often fussy the first few months of life, most commonly it happens in the evenings or at night. It is normal is it is always similar and always consistently the same. Babies fuss for lots of reasons, over-stimulation, discomfort, overtired, growth spurts.. some babies fuss more when they are learning something new (my daughter was the worst when she was learning to roll over!) You can just do your best to comfort him, you can just take him off and burp him, rock him, wear him in a sling, some babies calm in the car or a swing, my daughter would do great if I pulled her up close in my sling and went on a walk it would knock her out!

if you want to read more:

https://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/fussybaby.html 

Little Rose is 2 1/2.
  • Options

It could be that the milk is coming out too fast if he is pulling off. Are you noticing the milk is spraying then?

kellymom.com has a great article about overactive letdown if that seems to be the issue.

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
      Francesca Pearl is here!             Josephine Hope is almost 3!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    bgf1bgf1 member
    I had a similar problem due to overactive let down.  When the milk would let down it was too much for LO and he would pull back and clamp down on the nipple to try to slow the flow.  It was worse at night when he was tired. I started to hand express a bit before he latched to slow the flow, and also when we were really struggling nursing him in sidelying was a godsend.  As he got older he figured out how to manage the letdown better.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

thanks everyone.  I wasnt really considering the milk coming out too fast for him.  It isn't spraying when I check, its more of a dribble.  For the first few days that it happened it was only happening at the feeding before bedtime, so I thought maybe I didnt have enough milk left but now its happening in the morning too.  He isn't doing it everytime he eats, just randomly.  I guess I will just have to keep comforting him and see if he gets over this problem.  Thank you

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"