May 2011 Moms

How long do you let a newborn cry?

I have changed and feed my LO and he has been crying for about an hour.  We have burped him and given him the Soothie paci and he is screaming his head off.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: How long do you let a newborn cry?

• KelsnEmKelsnEm member

so sorry to hear!  I know how absolutely frustrating it can be to have a crying LO and it seem as though nothing will help.

I can't promise anything but you may want to try...

nurse again (it's extremely comforting for them)

a good swaddling

rocking

stroller or car ride

put him/her in a sling 

go for some kangaroo care (bare chest to chest)

Hopefully you're not alone right now.  If you can, take turns holding and trying to soothe LO.  Step outside or some place where you can't hear crying to relax and recharge before trying other things.

Good Luck and keep us updated on what works!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Swaddle, side/stomach position, swing, shhhsh, suck....I think those are the 5 S's from Happiest Baby on the Block. Good Luck!!!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Georgia had her first really fussy time today.  After trying everything suggested above (except the swing) I gave her some Mylicon gas drops and she calmed right down.  I had eaten a spicy lunch, I think it upset her tummy. =(
  • Call me crazy, but this helped sooo much with DD1 and her crying.  Dunstan Baby Language, a friend bought me the DVD as a hospital gift.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • jeffraejeffrae member
    CIO is not an option this early on.  I highly recommend reading (or watching the DVD - can get from library) Happiest Baby on the Block.  It really does work wonders.
  • elisbuelisbu member

imageandigurl:
    Swaddle, side/stomach position, swing, shhhsh, suck....I think those are the 5 S's from Happiest Baby on the Block. Good Luck!!!!

this doesnt always work for K, but it works S- i thought it was swaddle, side/stomach, shhhhsh. shake, suck.

I 'shake' K almost likes she's in a vibrating machine with head slightly lose. if it works, it works in seconds!!

her is a youtube video of it, hope it helps OP!! that is so hard!

• imageCallidryas:
    Call me crazy, but this helped sooo much with DD1 and her crying.  Dunstan Baby Language, a friend bought me the DVD as a hospital gift.
    I dont have a baby to test this on yet, but it looks really amazing!! Thanks for sharing!!!

DS  Desmond Alexander 6.9.11

DD  Vivienne Elena   12.16.13

? EDD 3/29/2018

• imagepook:
    Georgia had her first really fussy time today.  After trying everything suggested above (except the swing) I gave her some Mylicon gas drops and she calmed right down.  I had eaten a spicy lunch, I think it upset her tummy. =(

We didn't have any mylicon, and Ben was super fussy a few nights ago and we deduced it was gas.  We rubbed his belly and did "bicycles" with his legs and he passed a ton of gas and then quieted down.  

I would also say check and make sure he's not being pinched or poked by anything he's wearing (diaper, clothes, etc).  If there is an itchy or pokey tag it could make them really uncomfortable.  

imageLilypie Second Birthday tickers image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"