Cincinnati Babies
Options

Can we talk life jackets/swim assists again?

I am looking for something that my DD can use in the pool that will assist in keeping her afloat when I am with her but be comfortable enough that she will want to keep on.

I don't feel like traditional life jackets are all that comfortable to use for swimming. I've seen those puddle jumpers but think she may be too small. Has anyone  used those swim suits that have a life vest built in?

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers image

Re: Can we talk life jackets/swim assists again?

• Options
    We had a swimsuit with the floaties built in for DD last summer and we added swimmies.  The suit kept her afloat and the floaties on the arms helped her to better keep her head above water.  This summer so far we have her on floaties and she wore a ring this past weekend.  Life jackets are too uncomfortable I think and they tend to ride up in the water. 
  • Options

I'm just responding so that I remember to come back and look at the responses.  I'm looking for something for Charlotte too (we have the puddle jumper for Ava and like it, but the weight minimum is 30 lbs. and C is just under that).  I think we'll probably just end up using the arm floaties and keeping a hold of her.

Ava Caroline 8.27.07 I Charlotte Grace 5.18.09 I Lila Katherine 1.20.11

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageadamsbabble:

I'm just responding so that I remember to come back and look at the responses.  I'm looking for something for Charlotte too (we have the puddle jumper for Ava and like it, but the weight minimum is 30 lbs. and C is just under that).  I think we'll probably just end up using the arm floaties and keeping a hold of her.

I was actually hoping you would respond :) I remembered that you had the puddle jumper for Ava. Bummer so it will be too big for Audrey as well she is about 23lbs or so.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers image
  • Options

My aunt actually bought these for Charlotte for her birthday:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/My-Sunshine-Fabric-Arm-Bands/16504644

She has the little pink pair with ruffles - pretty cute!  I forgot to get them out yesterday just because I already had some plastic ones blown up, but she didn't like the plastic ones at all.  I bet these fabric ones would be a whole lot more comfortable.

Ava Caroline 8.27.07 I Charlotte Grace 5.18.09 I Lila Katherine 1.20.11

• Options

The best thing you can get and teh safest is the suits with the floats built into them. Anything inflatable can pop and actually cause issues but if they are always assisted you should be fine. I taught swimming lessons for years and the kids that had these types of suits usually swam sooner unassisted than those in other forms of preservers.

• Options

We use a puddle jumper with Sawyer. he weights 28ish pounds. I hadn't looked the requirements... ooops. Why in the world didn't I?

Anyways, it's been working fine. He does fantastic with it.

• Options
    imagekelklump:

The best thing you can get and teh safest is the suits with the floats built into them. Anything inflatable can pop and actually cause issues but if they are always assisted you should be fine. I taught swimming lessons for years and the kids that had these types of suits usually swam sooner unassisted than those in other forms of preservers.

Also having taught swim lessons for years, I am not a fan of arm floaties, they pop and can come off.  Really, the safest thing is a certified life jacket since nothing else is guaranteed to keep their head above water.  The suits with built in floats are better than the arm floaties, you just have to make sure you stay with them and watch since you can't assume anything other than a life jacket will keep their head above the water.  It's easy to assume they're fine in the other floaties and forget that they can float in odd positions in them and still have their head underwater.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"