April 2011 Moms

Fast letdown...

My left breast has a fast letdown because I hear dd gulping and almost always choking. This makes her avoid eating longet than a couple minutes then will fight the other side. Any advice?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Fast letdown...

• Lean back when you're feeding her and that should help to slow things down.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • ncbellencbelle member

If you have a fast let down, she will be finished faster.  But...she may need to burp more since the glupping makes them take in a lot of air.  Side lying or leaning back can help.  If she pulls off and milk is spraying everywhere, hand express until it slows down and then try again.

The good news is she'll adjust in a few weeks and will just be really efficient! 

• Loading the player...
  • imagencbelle:

If you have a fast let down, she will be finished faster.  But...she may need to burp more since the glupping makes them take in a lot of air.  Side lying or leaning back can help.  If she pulls off and milk is spraying everywhere, hand express until it slows down and then try again.

The good news is she'll adjust in a few weeks and will just be really efficient! 

This is good to know because her feedings have been cut in half and I was worried but she is gaining weight and has plenty of diapers. Thanks!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagencbelle:

I agree with all of this.  I had the same issue with my first for a while and I know that for me nursing on one side per feeding helped a lot, and leaning back a little bit.  I also keep a burp cloth handy so that if DD pulls off and I spray everywhere I have somewhere to catch the milk and let it settle down a little bit first.  My LO is a very fast nurser, even this early which was not the case with my first.  Things will settle down, I noticed my LO favoring the breast with a slower flow so she isn't working so hard but I have already seen an improvement .  I was nursing LO the other day and DD#1 was standing in front of me and the baby came off my boob and I shot my older DD right in the face with my milk, lol! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I think I have the same issue because DD will typically only eat for 10 minutes or so and only on one side.  Sometimes, when I don't feel particularly full, she will eat longer.  I assumed her short feedings had to do with my letdown, but I'm not sure how to tell if I have a fast letdown or not.  When she pulls off, I don't have the whole "spraying everywhere" issue the PP mentioned.  My milk does drip/flow out pretty quickly when she pulls off though.  I think she is getting enough because she has plenty of wet and dirty diapers and is gaining weight.  She is a petite baby though, 6 lbs 4 oz at birth and about 8.2 lbs today at 6 weeks 2 days...(according to my attempt at weighing her on my scale this morning!)

I always worry about her not eating long enough because of her small size and I just want her to gain weight.  However, the pediatrician seemed okay with her weight gain at her appointment last week and she said it was okay for her to eat only 10 minutes or so if that was all she wanted.  I guess it is nice that she is a fast eater...especially at 3 in the morning when she eats, diaper change, and falls right back to sleep and I'm only up for 30 minutes!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"