Breastfeeding

When to buy breast pump?

Just wanted your personal experience and advice.  When did you buy your breast pump and if you could do it again, would you buy it before the baby arrives or wait until X amount of time after?

I'm expecting my first, and am very dedicating to breastfeeding.  I'll be a stay-at-home mother with minimal travel plans, so I won't be in desperate need of a pump, but would like one to use later on so DH and others can also feed the baby.  I also know some babies are "lazy feeders" and don't latch very well, so is a pump a good back-up plan?

TIA. 

Married 5-24-2008;
BFP 4-19-11. Ezri Ana born on due date, Dec 30 2011!
My Ovulation Chart 
BFP 10-05-2014; MMC 11-15-2014.
BFP 02-17-2015
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: When to buy breast pump?

• heyleeheylee member
    I wish I bought mine before coming home but I rented one for 2 months.
  • Plan financially and set the money aside, but wait to buy. 

Buy it after LO is here and BFing is established. That way you can take maximum advantage of the manufacturer warranty, and you will know if BFing is working out for you before you invest in a pump. GL! and

BabyFruit Ticker
    Married 1/20/07
    DD Born: 2/18/11
    LO #2 EDD: 10/16/15
  • Loading the player...
  • I rented for 1 month from the hospital and am glad I did so to make sure I was successful and truly committed -- because you need to make it through the first 4 weeks --- they are the roughest! It hurts, it is tiring and you feel like your whole life is revolving around feedings......if you make it past that then you know you are in it for the long haul.

Also make sure you use a coupon when you buy - we got 20% off at Babies R Us saving us $60+ which is a lot. They always give out coupons when you buy things there!

• I used a manual pump when I started my stash for going back to work.  I got my double electric the week I went back to work. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagedaniella2727:

I rented for 1 month from the hospital and am glad I did so to make sure I was successful and truly committed -- because you need to make it through the first 4 weeks --- they are the roughest! It hurts, it is tiring and you feel like your whole life is revolving around feedings......if you make it past that then you know you are in it for the long haul.

Also make sure you use a coupon when you buy - we got 20% off at Babies R Us saving us $60+ which is a lot. They always give out coupons when you buy things there!

This!  The hospital also gave me a Medela manual pump (that our insurance paid for) while we were in the hospital.  That would be enough to get you through the first couple of weeks if you don't want to rent a hospital grade pump.  If you're going to be a SAHM you might even find that the manual will be enough for your needs.  I rented for the first month and was so glad that I did, because when my milk finally came in (after 5 long days!) it came in spades, and I was really happy to have the pump to be able to relieve the pressure.  Then I bought my Freestyle before heading back to work, once I knew I was in it for the long haul and had a better idea of what I wanted in a pump.  Good luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"