June 2011 Moms
Options

The stomach mashing...

Brobin mentioned in her post about the stomach mashing the nurses do and WOW, I forgot how much that hurt!!! I didn't yell during labor/delivery but that caused me to yell out in pain 3 times. Do they do that for c-sections? Im assuming not.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: The stomach mashing...

• Options
    keaonakeaona member
    Yup, they do, but it didn't hurt too bad for me, but i was also hopped up on pain killers. 
  • Options
    Actually they do.  I remember in recovery them mashing me to get more of the blood etc. out.  It did hurt but I was still a little numb.  They said I was still "boggy" and mashed a little more.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    This is the first I've heard of stomach mashing.  Why do they do it? 
    Photobucket Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Whaaa???  I missed the OP.  Why is there stomach mashing?
  • Options
    cvl105cvl105 member

imageilovebabyblue:
    This is the first I've heard of stomach mashing.  Why do they do it? 

This! I'm scared now!! haha

~Chelsea~
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    image"">imageimage
  • Options
    With a vaginal birth it is to deliver the placenta.  With a section it is too get the blood and extra fluid out.
  • Options

If i remember my L&D from nursing school correctly its to check your fundus...or the top of your uterus to make sure it is contracting and geting smaller.  Your uterus is suppose to shrink after delivery, and I think they check to make sure its shrinking to make sure there is no excessive bleeding...an overfilled bladder can make it seem off too..

I think this is right.

image 36weeks in image 36ish weeks out Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    In my birthing class they stated they do indeed do the "fundal massage" even if you have a c section because it helps you're uterus contract back down to normal size. It could differ with each hospital!
  • Options
    The reason they were doing the stomach mashing was to make sure I didn't have any clots and to make sure my fundus was shrinking. They call it "massaging" but that is FAR from a massage. It hurts really bad!! When they did it, it would cause more blood to come out of me.
  • Options
    After delivery, one of the jobs of the nurse is to check the fundus to ensure it's shrinking and also to 'massage'  it to expel clots and fragment of the placenta (if it were not intact) and check for hemorrhaging.   When they say your uterus is "boggy" that means it's not firm, so they will massage it to get the uterus to contract to reduce the risk of postpartum hemorrhage.  Hope that helps
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I had a c-section and didn't have any stomach mashing...
  • Options

imageAmbeerose:
    The reason they were doing the stomach mashing was to make sure I didn't have any clots and to make sure my fundus was shrinking. They call it "massaging" but that is FAR from a massage. It hurts really bad!! When they did it, it would cause more blood to come out of me.

Yes, a MASSAGE is enjoyable, this on the other hand is quite painful!  I think stomach mashing is a much better term for it Stick out tongue I didn't have any pain killers for any of my deliveries, and I actually asked my OB if he could give me an epi just for that part!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie - (HKbp)Lilypie - (WKbt)
     Lilypie - (2DqE)  Lilypie - (1KYE)
    Lilypie - (RlhZ)Lilypie - (1CAm)
  • Options
    The mashing is the worst!!! I also tell people that I think it is way worse the actual (med free) labor! I had no clue that they were going to do that with DD and of course the largest maternity nurse did mine... How ever I know it was important because I did hemmorhage.

DD1 | Jan 2009
    DD2 | June 2011
    DS1 | Oct 2013
       ADD3 | Oct 2014 (April 2001)
    DS2 | June 2016
    DS3 | Dec 2018

Due with baby blob August 2021

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Holy mother of christ....and here I thought I just needed to get through the labor. 

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    HallilHallil member

imagepregarella:
    Holy mother of christ....and here I thought I just needed to get through the labor. 

No kidding!! Indifferent

• Options
    I've had 3 kids and it never hurt when they did this. I barely remember it.
  • Options

imagekhusker:
    In my birthing class they stated they do indeed do the "fundal massage" even if you have a c section because it helps you're uterus contract back down to normal size. It could differ with each hospital!

This is what I've heard as well.

DS1 -6/25/11

DS2 -3/23/13

Missed MC D&C 8/26/14

DD - 8/26/15

LO#4 due 5/30/17

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"