Breastfeeding

Newborn - no wet diapers, just lots of dirty ones.

So I had my baby on Saturday, and breastfeeding seems to be going well, but I have one concern.  I asked a number of people at the hospital, but no one gave me a clear answer - I'm not sure if it's just a dumb question or if I'm phrasing it badly or what.  I know that young babies are supposed to have one wet diaper per day of life - one on the first day, two on the second, etc.  He barely managed those for the first two days, but had half a dozen dirty diapers (meconium) on the first day and about ten (thick dark brown sticky stuff and then green wet stuff) on the second day.  Today is his third day on the planet and he hasn't wet a single diaper but has had seven dirty diapers (wet green poop, starting to turn a bit yellow) so far.  

He's eating very frequently (every two hours or so) and seems satisfied after (usually falls asleep on the boob), and the poop looks textbook, but I'm concerned that he's not peeing at all.  I'm pretty sure we're not just missing the wet diapers because we're using the kind that have the color change when the baby pees.  Is this a problem, and if so, what could be causing it?

Re: Newborn - no wet diapers, just lots of dirty ones.

• Yes, it's a problem.  If you're certain that your DS isn't having wet diapers, you need to call your pedi as soon as possible.  The most likely situation would be that your DS isn't getting as much milk as you think.  This can make him sleepy as a result of dehydration, explaining why he's falling asleep at the breast--because he's lethargic, not because he's satisfied.  If he's truly not eating enough, there's concern for increased bilirubin levels (jaundice) and a host of other problems.  Regardless of what is causing the lack of urine, you need to call your pediatrician immediately.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I would call the pedi regardless, especially if you're sure he's having no wet diapers. But if he's having that many dirty diapers, it's possible that you just can't see that they are also wet.

And congratulations on your new baby!

• Loading the player...
  • My son was the same way and I was very worried. I wasn't positive that there wasn't urine mixed in with all of the stool, but it didn't seem like it. I couldn't believe he could have so many BMs but no wet diapers! The nurses and pediatrician wanted us to keep an eye on it but weren't nearly as worried as I was. Once my milk was all the way in we had no problem. I would probably still run it by your pediatrician, but my guess is your baby is fine. Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• My LC said that every time he has a dirty diaper, he has a wet diaper.  If you are really concerned, call the Pedi!
  • Like others suggested, I would definitely call.  My DS urinated very little, and by day 3 of his life, he was dehydrated and had to be admitted into the hospital for IV fluids.  I don't mean to scare you, but it is something to be careful with!  Good luck and congrats!
  • Thanks, everyone, for the advice.  It turned out that the very next diaper he had was wet, and the next two were wet AND dirty, so I'm feeling better about it.  My milk also just came in, so we'll see what happens.  If he doesn't keep up this new all-pee-all-the-time trend I'll definitely be calling the pedi.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"