2nd Trimester

Talk to me about low progesterone levels, please!

I am 14 DPO today,

HCG: 140

PRO: only @ 9.

What do you think about this, is this is miscarriage in the making? Doctor said nothing about supplements....

I feel lost! Have any of you had low levels and gone on to have a healthy 2nd tri?

Thanks, ladies!!

Our angel is in heaven 12/12/08
BFP 2/25/09
HCG 3/6=518 3/8=1230
1st Ultrasound 3/18 FHR=103
2nd U/S 3/20 FHR=118!!
3rd U/S 4/1 FHR=169 :)
BIG U/S 5/22=IT'S A BOY! FHR-148
DS Born October 30, 2009
BFP 5/27/11 Stick baby, stick!
HCG 5/31=140 P=9 HCG 6/2=292 P=11
1ST Ultrasound 6/15 FHR=109!!
U/S 8/18=IT'S A BOY! FHR-141 :)
DS Born January 20, 2012
BFP 5/27/13 EDD 2-5-14
U/S 8/17 FRH-141 It's a boy!!

Re: Talk to me about low progesterone levels, please!

• WTF? Why on earth didn't they give you any supplements? You need either Crinone, a gel that is vaginal or PIO--injectable progesterone. PIO is the only one that helped me and I took it the entire first trimester. A drop in Progesterone can cause a bleed...or a period.

This would not be acceptable to me. WHy on earth would they let you go with that low progesterone?

But I am an infertility patient so I have a lot of experience with these numbers. Good luck and give an update please.

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • OMG, and your m/c history. This is making me very angry. Do you see an RE or regular OB/GYN?
  • Loading the player...
  • I think I am really freaking out here now. He said 9 was the very lowest range of normal but then all the boards here are saying that number is way too low to be a viable pregnancy. I see a regular OBGYN and my next beta draw is Thursday. Should I call tomorrow and ask to be put on something or wait until the next appointment?
    Our angel is in heaven 12/12/08
    BFP 2/25/09
    HCG 3/6=518 3/8=1230
    1st Ultrasound 3/18 FHR=103
    2nd U/S 3/20 FHR=118!!
    3rd U/S 4/1 FHR=169 :)
    BIG U/S 5/22=IT'S A BOY! FHR-148
    DS Born October 30, 2009
    BFP 5/27/11 Stick baby, stick!
    HCG 5/31=140 P=9 HCG 6/2=292 P=11
    1ST Ultrasound 6/15 FHR=109!!
    U/S 8/18=IT'S A BOY! FHR-141 :)
    DS Born January 20, 2012
    BFP 5/27/13 EDD 2-5-14
    U/S 8/17 FRH-141 It's a boy!!

• quezzoquezzo member

I think you should call and ask to be put on something. I was on Endometrin with this pregnancy three times a day and it went well. My number was a 12 at like 13 DPO and they put me on it. My RE's office said you need a level of at least 10 to sustain a pregnancy. 

I will say my regular OB told me the number can change throughout the day, and your number doesn't have to keep going just up. I was concerned because at subsequent draws my Progesterone went from 26 to 20.5, but he said it can fluctuate as long as it stays where they think it should be.

With my second pregnancy they wanted to wait to put me on something to see if my numbers doubled. I went on something right after my first draw (progesterone at 7.5) and then with the second we saw the betas weren't doubling. They made me stay on it still, even though I wanted to go off because I read the writing on the wall. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I would get the progesterone ASAP and then leave that OB forever. Wow. I am so sorry because I know you must be freaking out right now. I am sorry, hang in there because it may all work out just fine. But still, leave that OB!
  • I'd get to someone, and get a Rx.

With DD it was low, and with the twins it was also low. I took vaginal supps both times.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • mine was 9.8 at my first blood tests (4 wks) and my GYN didn't mention it. i started bleeding over the weekend and when i called they got me in with another practice member who does OB (mine GYN doesn't do OB) and he was concerned about it being that low and re-tested it. within like 3 days it had dropped to 8.6. they put me on prometrium suppositories and a week later it was like 27. took it until i was 12 weeks. my doc said progesterone needs to be at least 10 to be viable. 

i don't think its TOO weird that your doc didn't automatically give you a supplement - my doc said it kinda controversial and there isn't a whole lot of evidence that it helps. however, he also said it can't hurt so might as well try. i would call your doc and at least question him about it...

BabyFruit Ticker IAmPregnant Ticker
  • They should def put you on some supplements! Numbers dont always mean everything. When i was 6 weeks pregnant my HCG wasnt doubling every 48 hours and My progesterone kept dropping during my first trimester so my RE was so concerned she had me taking progesterone 3 times a day!...and that didn't even really make it jump!...I took progesterone up until the 10th week...and everything turned out fine...and we are having twins!...so I def suggest asking them about supplements because it couldn't hurt. Good Luck! :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageBabyFetus Ticker
  • My progesterone was a 9 in my first trimester. I went to the ER and their paperwork said it was a 9. My doc didn't even notice. I had to go into the office and fight with them about it, make them look at the papers. Finally, they looked and immediately gave me a supplement that I had to take until 12 weeks. Low progesterone can be very bad. You need to call the doc in the morn and demand supplements. Mine were pills. But don't let it go. It's important.
    Pregnancy Ticker image
  • My progesterone was 6 at 4 weeks.  I was immediately put on vag. suppositories.
  • I think it is very weird that your OB would let this go given your history!

Please give an update. I hope it is all working out well for you.

• I had a couple miscarriages before this pregnancy and had talked to my OB and an REI about progesterone.  My understanding is that the studies haven't shown a benefit of placing people on proggesterone - but they haven't shown a harm either so a lot of docs put people on it just to be able to do something.  I wouldn't leave my OB b/c they didn't give it to me.  I decided not to take it based on the information I was given.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If you go to see a reproductive endocrinologist you will get an entirely different type of care.

Having a history that you display here, it is amazing that your OB hasn't sent you off to one at his own discression.

A drop in progesterone can cause a bleed. Period. Studies or no studies...if the Dr. isn't proactive I would not stay with him.

• Mine was 10 and my Dr put me on Crinone.  I'm now 12 weeks (lurking on 2nd tri seeing "what to expect" says I'm 2nd tri today).  Sometimes progesterone is low because of pending miscarriage which the suppliments won't change but sometimes it's low because of things like short luteal phase/thin uterine lining which they will help.  I would call and ask to be put on them seeing it's not going to hurt. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker ........ born 11/16/11 at 36 weeks weighing 3 lbs, 6 oz
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"