Toddlers: 24 Months+

has anyone's child had outpatient surgery?

My son is going to have a problem with his eye fixed tomorrow.  He'll go under general anesthesia, spend about an hour in surgery, then recovery and then we'll go home.

Any general advice on what to bring with us, what he should wear, how to handle him afterwards?

Thanks! 

Re: has anyone's child had outpatient surgery?

• Everywhere is different, but DD has had two outpatient surgeries.  We had her in PJ's so she was comfy before and after.  They told us she could resume normal activities as soon as she seemed ready (we had her at the park later on that day).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DS had his adenoids and umbilical hernia fixed in Dec.  We brought him in PJs because we were worried about clothes rubbing his belly.  I would think comfortable clothes or PJs are pretty common.   We brought his blanket, favorite stuffed animal and favorite sippy. 

He was out of it for a few hours.  He ate lots of Popsicles.  If you give any remember to get sugar free so you don't have a hyper toddler that is supposed to be recovering.  By 5 that night DS was acting like his old self. 

Good luck.  This is harder on you then it will be on him.   DS2 is having his adenoids and tubes done Monday.  I am nervous and I should be a pro by now. 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • S has had several inpatient and outpatient surgeries. My recommendations are to bring their favorite blanket/animal, anything that they prefer to have with them at your house that comforts them. Also if they have a preferred sippy cup, bring it because they mainly only had cups w/ straws for her, so it was awkward for her. I wouldn't bring too much stuff though because they will put them in a gown for the surgery, so you'll have the clean outfit you brought them in for them to wear home. Hope everything goes smoothly...remember, it's much worse on us than it is on them. :)  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • akayfakayf member

DS had to go under general anesthesia when he was almost 2 years old for a tongue tie surgery.    We brought him in his jammies and then redressed him in another pair of jammies when it was time to go.   

We had to change him into a hospital gown before they took him to the OR.   We went with him to the pre-op area to dress him.   The drs came to talk to us and explain everything one last time.   The nurse gave him some meds that made him really loopy.   She said once he got the meds, we had to hold him on our lap because it would not be safe for him to let him walk.    About 10 minutes after they gave him the meds, he was practically asleep and the nurse came, told us to give him a kiss, and carried him down the hall to the OR.

When he came out from the surgery and woke up, he was screaming.   He was so confused and nothing could console him at first(the dr and nurse warned us about that) They had me sit in a recliner with wheels before they handed him over to me.   Then they pushed the chair into a recovery room.  They had me sit since he was thrashing around so much it would have been impossible to carry him.    They gave him some IV fluids and I just held him while DH and I talked quietly to him, trying to soothe him.  He passed out in my arms and slept for several hours.    When he woke up the second time, he was his usual self.   

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I know I'm late on this. I just wanted to wish you luck. DS just had his 2nd set of tubes done yesterday and his adenoids out. I took him in his jammies but brought his fave ones for him to wear home. Brought a sippy, his fave toy and blanket.

DS actually did pretty well. He was a little mad at me and wanted DH but once we got home he seemed pretty much back to normal. Right now he's chasing the dog and laughing.

imageimage

9/24/2011 Plymouth Firefighters 5k: 47:13
    11/12/2011 Diva Dash 5k: 45:45
    5/5/2012 STEM school 5k TBD Coming up in 2012:
    6/10/2012 Walk to Remember SIDS foundation 5k
    (in memory of a sweet baby boy)
    11/10/2012 Diva Dash 5k
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"