2nd Trimester

Prep for 1 hr glucose test

So tomorrow I am going to do my 1 hour glucose tolerance test.  My dr. said if I eat before hand to eat protein.  When I preregistered (have to do it at the hospital) they said that no prep was needed.  I thought for some reason I had to fast.

What did they tell  you to do? or what did you do? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Prep for 1 hr glucose test

• I was told no food or drink three hours before your appointment.
    My Chart

My Life

BFP 7.7.09 - CVS 9.10.09 (Girl) - 9.24.09 Severe Fatal Malformation - D&E 10.7.09 @ 17wks
    BFP 6.1.10 - 6.10.10 Ectopic M/C @ 5wks
    BFP 10.26.10 - 10.29.10 CP
    BFP 1.30.11 - CVS 3.28.11 (Girl) - EDD 10.11.11 - Born 10.6.11
    BFP 12.18.12 - 12.20.12 CP
    BFP 3.18.13 - CVS 5.21.13 (Girl) - EDD 12.2.13 - Born 11.24.13
    BFP 6.10.14 - CVS 7.2.14 (Girl) - EDD 1.12.15 - Born sleeping 8.6.14 @ 17w5d
  • acaveracaver member
    They just told me not to drink a big sugery drink (like a tea or soda) right before hand.  They didn't tell me to fast for any specific amount of time.  I'd just try to avoid very sugary foods a couple of hours before hand.
  • Loading the player...
  • I was told to limit my carbs the day before, but that I didn't have to fast the day of. I'll probably have a couple eggs on my way to the appointment before I drink the sugar drink. Otherwise, no other prep.

I think it's the 3 hour GTT that requires fasting. GL tomorrow!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • They told me to eat as normal so they could get an accurate reading based on how I eat in a normal day.

Of course, that led to me failing the 1 hour test and having to take the 3 hour test, which I passed with flying colors.

When I go at 28 weeks for my second glucose test, I am definitely fasting...

2.5.14 LMP - 3.15.14 BFP - 4.4 u/s confirmed no sac - 4.10 ruptured tube with emergency surgery

• My dr's office says to eat breakfast as normal, unless my normal was donuts with juice.  In fact the sheet gave an sample breakfast of one slice of toast with an egg.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • i heard to limit your carbs and sugar the day before and eat protein for breakfast. this was from other bumpies. my dr said to eat normally.

i followed the bumpies' advice. i failed my 1 hr. i took the 3 hr and am waiting for the results. everyone seemed really surprised that i failed. prepregnancy, i was under weight. i'm gaining normally and i work out and eat decent. still failed that sucker.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Follow your doctor's advice.  I was told that no prep was needed (first pregnancy and this pregnancy).  My doctor does not ask for a fasting blood sample and a 1 hour GTT sample.  It sounds like yours doesn't either or else your doc and/or the hospital would have told you to fast.  Good luck. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The two times I had to take the 1 hour I didn't have to do any prepping.  For the 3 hour it's recommended to eat a light snack 8-10 hours before you test.  So if you have an 8 a.m. appt. you would eat something between 10pm-midnight.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was told to fast 3-4hrs before. My appt is for first thing in the am. I had to do the same when I was pg with DD.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker TTC since Dec '04 Severe MFI-diagnosed 12/06 3 failed Fresh IVFs FET #1 - BFP!! 2 blasts tx on day 6. Beta #1 8dp6dt = 56, Beta #2 = 600, Beta #3 = 5600 My Blog Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Mine will be at my next appointment.  I was told not to fast and to eat a light protein lunch (my appointment is at 1:30 in the afternoon).

I would follow what your doctor said.

• I have my test today. At my last appointment my midwife told me that there was no reason to fast, just stay away from sugary foods before I came in. I'm eating a piece of toast right now =]
    imageimage
    Quinn was born at 34 weeks weighing in at 5lbs 8oz and 19in long
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"