September 2011 Moms

Feeling Overwhelmed...

Anyone else feel super overwhelmed when thinking about certain aspects of the labor/delivery? I get super flushed, nauseous, and want to cry when I think about all the postpartum bleeding or the possibility of a C-section. I am trying to force myself to come to terms with both of these but I just feel so overwhelmed. Don't get me wrong, I am so excited for this baby and feel so blessed but some aspects are really scary to me. Plus DH is REALLY squeamish when it comes to blood (can't donate blood without fainting) so he is no help at all...
Jenni and Michael November 8th, 2008 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Feeling Overwhelmed...

• Have you been reading any books, or taking any childbirth classes? I think that'd really help you be prepared for what's to come. If you're interested in a med-free birth (or avoiding interventions that might lead to a c-section), I highly recommend looking up a Bradley birth class near you or BrioBirth (that's what DH and I are doing and LOVE it) to educate yourself. If you're not wanting to take a class, I'd highly recommend reading Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way or Ina May's Guide to Childbirth. Both are excellent for educational purposes in the process of labor/birth. Either way, get yourself educated somehow to help calm your fears. GL!
    greenbaby
    BFP 1/22/12 | Ectopic pregnancy found 2/14/12 | Methotrexate to complete m/c 2/15/12 imageimageimage Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • I am also feeling overwhelmed and very anxious about L&D. I try not to think of it too much but it's hard to deny the inevitable. I'm quite interested in reading up about Bradley method/other methods not involving meds. Needles and I have had a long lasting battle between us. When they did my initial bloodwork I nearly fainted and they had to wheel me out and reschedule. I don't think I could handle the classes, and actually have been recommended not to take them by friends who have taken the classes and have high anxiety. Hopefully labor in itself will turn us into Super-Mamas and we will overcome our fears and get our LO's out!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imagepicksthemusic:
    Have you been reading any books, or taking any childbirth classes? I think that'd really help you be prepared for what's to come. If you're interested in a med-free birth (or avoiding interventions that might lead to a c-section), I highly recommend looking up a Bradley birth class near you or BrioBirth (that's what DH and I are doing and LOVE it) to educate yourself. If you're not wanting to take a class, I'd highly recommend reading Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way or Ina May's Guide to Childbirth. Both are excellent for educational purposes in the process of labor/birth. Either way, get yourself educated somehow to help calm your fears. GL!

We are in Week 4 of a Bradley Class. It's helping but still... 

• imageAmbs1023:
    I am also feeling overwhelmed and very anxious about L&D. I try not to think of it too much but it's hard to deny the inevitable. I'm quite interested in reading up about Bradley method/other methods not involving meds. Needles and I have had a long lasting battle between us. When they did my initial bloodwork I nearly fainted and they had to wheel me out and reschedule. I don't think I could handle the classes, and actually have been recommended not to take them by friends who have taken the classes and have high anxiety. Hopefully labor in itself will turn us into Super-Mamas and we will overcome our fears and get our LO's out!

I really think it's awful advice to not take classes or educate yourself. Would you go swimming without knowing how, just hoping you'll pick it up once you're in the water? If you think about it like that - that's just how labor is. You can learn how to cope with what happens in labor when you know what to look for and expect. The more you're prepared and know what to expect, the less fear you have.

greenbaby
    BFP 1/22/12 | Ectopic pregnancy found 2/14/12 | Methotrexate to complete m/c 2/15/12 imageimageimage Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • T&HLoveT&HLove member

Uh definitely. I almost had a panic attack thinking about it the other day and watching a birth.. don't know why. I think for me its that I never show my  stress/worry, so its coming out internally or something and giving me anxiety attacks.?

ETA:  I will be taking birthing classes, just whatever the hospital offers, but that isn't for a little while to come. :)

photo 22e3a93e-8933-4ed0-acf4-72665341621b_zpsd73ca8f6.jpgp>

"What did my fingers do before they held you? What did my heart do with it's love?"

CafeMom Tickers

Follow Me on Pinterest

• imageAmbs1023:
    I am also feeling overwhelmed and very anxious about L&D. I try not to think of it too much but it's hard to deny the inevitable. I'm quite interested in reading up about Bradley method/other methods not involving meds. Needles and I have had a long lasting battle between us. When they did my initial bloodwork I nearly fainted and they had to wheel me out and reschedule. I don't think I could handle the classes, and actually have been recommended not to take them by friends who have taken the classes and have high anxiety. Hopefully labor in itself will turn us into Super-Mamas and we will overcome our fears and get our LO's out!

The weird thing is that I'm ok with needles and blood in general. With the C/S I think it's the fact that I would be awake while they cut me open. But on the other hand I would definitely want to be awake for the birth of my baby. I know I will be ok, one way or the other it will work out but I wish I could get this anxiety under control.  

• imageluckygal3:

imagepicksthemusic:
    Have you been reading any books, or taking any childbirth classes? I think that'd really help you be prepared for what's to come. If you're interested in a med-free birth (or avoiding interventions that might lead to a c-section), I highly recommend looking up a Bradley birth class near you or BrioBirth (that's what DH and I are doing and LOVE it) to educate yourself. If you're not wanting to take a class, I'd highly recommend reading Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way or Ina May's Guide to Childbirth. Both are excellent for educational purposes in the process of labor/birth. Either way, get yourself educated somehow to help calm your fears. GL!

We are in Week 4 of a Bradley Class. It's helping but still... 

If that's the case, then I'd voice your fears to your instructor to see if they have any tips for you. Also, have you considered hiring a doula? Especially if you think your DH won't be any help, it might be worth it to you to have someone there who's used to labor and birth to help you out.

greenbaby
  • I know what you mean --- I am trying not to get myself too worked up over it -  but I have NEVER spent the night in the hospital (since the day I was born). I am very nervous about staying the night - I keep telling DH that even though we are about 10 minutes from the hospital that he is staying with me. And the concept of a c-section terrifies me. I'm just pushing all those thoughts to the back of my head. Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"