June 2011 Moms
Options

Dr. said he could feel baby's head

Just got back from my doctors appointment. Of course, now I think of questions to ask! He said I was 1 cm dialated and 80% effaced. He also said he could feel her head when he did the exam. I lost my mucus plug this morning. If he could feel her head, does that mean she has dropped? This may be a stupid questions, but could she be coming soon?
BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Dr. said he could feel baby's head

• Options
    Ugh I'm jealous. I went to the dr this morning too, I'm not dialated, but he did say he could feel his head. Although I haven't lost my mucus plug or anything yet. My guess is yes, she could be coming soon!
  • Options
    keaonakeaona member

She probably has dropped.  I would focus more on you effacement and dilation.

My dr. has been feeling baby's head for a few weeks now and keeps telling me any day.  I have been sitting at 95% effaced, 3 cm and baby is at a -1 station. I hope "any day" comes soon, i am so ready to have him in my arms.

Good luck to you, hope it means your little girl is on her way soon too. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    My Dr felt my LO's head 3 weeks ago when I had my first internal.  Hopefully your LO will come soon! :)
  • Options

Feeling babys head doesn't necessarily mean it could be any day... I only say that because the dr could feel my lo's head and he wasn't even engaged and came a week and a half to 2 wks later. But it can't be a bad thing right?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    My doctor started telling me he could feel the head at 37 weeks. I'll be 40 wks tomorrow. And I'm still NOT dilated. Hope it means more for you. Clearly my cervix is happy staying 'high & tight' Ugh!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

My NP could feel the baby's head at my internal last week. She said she *might* have even felt hair---although not 100% sure since baby is still in the amniotic sac. So weird! I don't think feeling the head means it's any day now, necessarily. The baby was only at -3 at my exam, and she told me that everything she felt seemed pretty much on track for my due date (June 4).

The way I figure, with how far they have to reach up to examine the cervix, and how little room the baby has left in the uterus it makes sense that they would feel the head pretty easily (as long as baby isn't breach). 

• Options

Feeling the head doesn't necessarily mean baby has dropped.  If they feel it, push on it, and baby doesn't go anywhere, then baby has dropped.  If they push on it and baby floats away, then baby is not engaged (has not dropped).

Hope that answers your question.  At least that's how my OB explained it to me.

• Options
    My doc could feel my kid's head 4 weeks ago - it hasn't meant squat for me :(  I'd say it could go either way.
  • Options
    Sorry to be the debbie downer, but doc has been able to feel LOs head for weeks, yet head is not engaged and Im not dialated and barely effaced. Doctor thinks I will sail past my due date....
  • Options
    Thanks so much for your help! I am only 37 weeks, so still have some time if need be. I was just wondering because I lost my mucus plug this morning and was wondering if that had anything to do with it. I appreciate your responses!
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"