Infertility

First IUI + high blood pressure

I just had my first appt. today with my RE and got blood work and an ultrasound done. I start 100mg of clomid today for 5 days and then I see the RE again for more blood work and ultasound next Tuesday. Very shortly after that is my first ever IUI!

While I am very excited, I was nervous about this appointment, plus I have a dentist appointment later tonight and my DH has a appointment tomorrow morning where we will be discussing surgery options for his back (he has had chronic back pain due to inflamation and arthritis for a year now). So, I was not able to sleep last night. I ended up getting a blood pressure reading of 149/101!! That is the highest ever for me! I have high blood pressure normally, I have since I was a child, it's a genetic thing, but I could also stand to lose a few lbs. I take a med for it that is safe to use during pregnancy, but the nurse said if I didn't get it lower by next week, the RE had the right to call off the IUI...which I wouldn't blame him in the least. I just had my blood pressure checked 2 weeks ago and it was fine. I think just a lot was on my mind and I didn't sleep much last night. Anyhoo, planning on doing yoga for fertility, plus a massage this Thursday and I am scheduling pre and post acupunture on my IUI day. Any other suggestions you ladies have?

Thanks!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
TTC since March/April 2010
DX: MFI - less than 1 million sperm, 26% motility
DH put on anastrozole to increase counts
June/July 2011 100 mg Clomid + TS IUI#1 & IUI 2 - BFN :-(
Forced break due to DH getting spinal surgery in August 2011
IVF - January 2012: BFN
FET in April 2012 - BFP at 6dp5dt! Beta #1 at 9dp5dt: 82.5, Beta #2 at 12dp5dt: 352 Beta #3 at 19dp5dt: 6000, saw heartbeat and one little bean at 5W6D!
After nearly 3 years of waiting our LO was born December 18th 2012!

Re: First IUI + high blood pressure

• So exciting!!  I hope all goes well.

I naturally have low blood pressure (still within normal though) but I find if I'm at all dehydrated my pressure is much higher, which seems backwards to me but whatever, so maybe make sure you have plenty of fluids.  Also...don't freak yourself out!!  It sounds like you have everything under control and have thought about a lot of the things that are supposed to help the process so hopefully this will end in your BFP.  Good Luck!

me 33/DH 36
    ttc since 10/2008; d/x: mild MFI, stageII endo
    ~~PAIF/SAIF Welcome~~
    11 IUI’s = 1 m/c (7w4d)
    IVF#1 January 2012 BFN, FET #1 April 2012 BFN
    Surprise BFP October 2012 m/c (7w), Surprise BFP April 2013 m/c (6w4d)
    IVF #2: July 2013, ET 1 embryo 7/18, beta 1 @ 14dp3dt - 757, beta 2 @ 16dp3dt - 1762
    U/S 1 @ 6w4d = 1 little frogger with HB of 118, U/S 2 @ 7w3d measuring right on track with HB of 160
    Stick Frogger Stick! Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!   It's a Girl, EDD April 7, 2014

BabyFruit Ticker

• 135/90 is normal for me at a doctors office. I spiked up to 145/100 when they told me that they might have to re-run all my blood panels if we didn't get the IVF started on time and that if my blood pressure wasn't low enough- they'd delay starting the BCP for the IVF.  I was like- and you told me this moments before taking my blood pressure WHY?

I took 10 to calm down and listened to a "soothing" playlist on my ipod- only songs that I find relaxing- and tested at 139/90 which was good enough.

Make sure the blood pressure cuff is appropriately sized- I have more than just a few pounds to lose and need a size up on the cuff. Having the proper size cuff reads my blood pressure lower. Just ask if the large size would be better if you're like me.

Find something soothing- if it's visualization or music- whatever you can get to take your mind away from the laundry list of stress going through your life (and it's good practice in general- I try to have at least half an hour of soothing peaceful non-stress time a day) and try not to over schedule yourself on the day of a blood pressure reading :) 

Friends for 15 years. Married 8. TTC since January 2009
    2010 Diagnosis: Anovulation and Severe MFI
    2011 Treatment:
    IVF w/ICSI #1 Antagonist: 2 blasts - c/p - BFN 04.22
    FET #1: 1 blast/1 early blast - BFP 06.22 - m/c 06.30 @6w0d
    07-11 RPL: MTHFR C677T Heterozygous & Slightly elevated ACLA IgM
    FET #2: 1 morula - BFN: 9.02

January '12: IVF #2
    Started BCP and Metformin (New!) 12-14 for stimming in January

Dum spiro, spero.
    ?SAIF/PAIF/PgAL/PAL always welcome?
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks so much ladies. I tend to freak out a little too easily, and I am sure I will be stressed out because I don't want to be stressed out the day I go back. haha. But I am hoping I can just take a few minutes before they do the reading and it will be okay. I have waited far too long to get to the point where we can do an IUI and don't want something like blood pressure to stop it from happening! Thanks for the suggestions!

And thanks Ecleptic, I feel better that I am not the only one who suffers from hbp. It definitely doesn't help that it tends to go up when in a doctprs office!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    TTC since March/April 2010
    DX: MFI - less than 1 million sperm, 26% motility
    DH put on anastrozole to increase counts
    June/July 2011 100 mg Clomid + TS IUI#1 & IUI 2 - BFN :-(
    Forced break due to DH getting spinal surgery in August 2011
    IVF - January 2012: BFN
    FET in April 2012 - BFP at 6dp5dt! Beta #1 at 9dp5dt: 82.5, Beta #2 at 12dp5dt: 352 Beta #3 at 19dp5dt: 6000, saw heartbeat and one little bean at 5W6D!
    After nearly 3 years of waiting our LO was born December 18th 2012!
  • I naturally have high BP as well and take meds. I just wanted to say good luck and I second the advice about the cuff size. A cuff that is too small will run high. 
    imageimage. image 

|| 4 years TTC, 2 M/Cs image 4 failed IUIs, 1 failed IVF || 

|| DIA brought us our beautiful daughter || 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I also have high blood pressure and take meds too. Thanks for the tip about the blood pressure cuff, I wasn't aware that a cuff that is too small may cause higher readings!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"