September 2011 Moms
Options

Anybody go to a chiropractor?

Mine is awesome. My tailbone pain is INFINITELY better after just one short visit this morning, after the horrendous weekend I had, when I was in so much pain I could barely move.

She also adjusts my neck, to help my headaches. I went in to the appointment today with a headache, and she adjusted my neck. That was at 10am. By noonish and for the next several hours, my head hurt so bad I was nauseous. If I moved my head too fast I had sharp shooting pains take over my head. I took one Tylenol and managed to make it through the rest of my meeting, until 3:30. The headache eventually went away and I feel better now.

Do you think the progression to the horrendous headache hours after my adjustment had anything to do with the adjustment itself?

Also a little tidbit- she said having accupuncture while pregnant can put you into labor. I didn't know that!

Wyatt 9/6/2011 
Tessa 7/5/2013
Baby #3- ????? (ttc soon)

Re: Anybody go to a chiropractor?

• Options

I'm a big fan of chiropractic work during pregnancy. 

In terms of acupuncture possibly inducing labor, I think your chiropractor is guilty of making a gross generalization.  There _are_ acupuncture points that can help to stimulate labor.  That being said, I would hope that if someone were choosing to see an acupuncturist during pregnancy, that they chose someone with their masters in acupuncture + advance training in fertility/pregnancy support.  (There are advanced certifications in this.)

There are lots of things a knowledgeable acupuncturist can do to support a pregnancy and help address symptoms along the way.  I have been seeing one weekly since prior to conceiving my LO and she's been a huge help.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I go to the chiropractor for my lower back pain. However, my chiropractor is more of a "wellness" and "holistic" chiropractor, and not a snap-pop adjustment chiropractor. He's been gently stretching my back, and giving me tips and advice on posture, and how to sit/stand/sleep, which would and has been helping my back. It sounds like something could have been pinched when she adjusted your neck..I'm sorry you had a bad headache :(
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm interested in using a chiropractor during pregnancy but am so weirded out by chiropractors to begin with...My prenatal yoga instructor (who is also a doula and midwife) recommended both a chiropractor and acupuncture to help spin a breech baby. I think there would be certain acupuncture places that would initiate labor, but others that do not... Then again, I'm no expert.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I don't think accupuncture is her main focus. She said she just prefers to not do it on pregnant women. And with my tailbone being my trouble spot, and the uterus being down there, I think it just is a tough call. I may beg her when it gets close to the due date. Haha.

I can't remember who said that the adjustment probably made the progression of the headache quicker. But you are probably right.

I see her again on Thursday and will mention it.

Wyatt 9/6/2011 
    Tessa 7/5/2013

• Options

I see one too. He adjusts my neck and my mid-to-upper back at this point. He's stopped trying to adjust my lower back because it's totally locked up at this point. Each week I get between 20-30 minutes massage and then the adjustment. Love it!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageheateacher:

I see one too. He adjusts my neck and my mid-to-upper back at this point. He's stopped trying to adjust my lower back because it's totally locked up at this point. Each week I get between 20-30 minutes massage and then the adjustment. Love it!

Oh I will be sad if she can't adjust my lower back anymore. That's the part that hurts the worst. :( It feels like the baby is stretching out and kicking one hip with his feet and punching the other hip with his hands. Sigh.

Wyatt 9/6/2011 
    Tessa 7/5/2013

• Options
    imagecmoosey:

(ie he knows if I am having bowel trouble). 

I just had to chuckle at this. One time at an appointment my chiro was like "Are you having indegestion?" and I was like... yeaaahhh how did you know that? I was totally weirded out but she fixed the problem. Very cool!

Wyatt 9/6/2011 
    Tessa 7/5/2013

• Options
    imagecmoosey:

To the OP - I know my little bro has complained that he has gone to a chiro and then gotten a cold within the next day or 2.  He whined to my mom about it and she said 'perhaps your cold would have been twice as long or severe if you didn't get adjusted! 

i know massage therapy can release toxins and cause congestion/head colds. i wonder if it's a similar situation with your brother?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"