Breastfeeding
Options

nursing without a pillow or boppy

i feel like i have no support if i dont use the boppy or a pillow. almost like i cant hold him up to my breast. im holding my breast with one hand and his head with the other, i cant figure out how to maneuver all this without a pilow. i would love to be able to nurse him outside of a house where pillows are available lol! any tips? when were you able to stop using a pillow? my little guy is about 11.5/12lbs thanks!

Re: nursing without a pillow or boppy

• Options
    You can try propping him up on a small balled-up blanket, a jacket, or a purse. I also cross one foot over the opposite thigh and balance him on that.
  • Options
    When he was about 2 months is probably when I stopped using my MBF pillow, but I use my legs to support him.  I either sit indian style so my legs are supporting my arm that's under him, and that holds him high enough, or else I sit in our recliner with my knees bent up and he's supported well that way. I don't really NIP because I don't think I'd be able to support him will any other way (sooo I guess I'm not much help after all lol).
    DS (7 years old) from FET in 2010
    DD (5 years old) from IUI in 2012
    TTC 3rd and final!: IUI #1 in progress!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    At home I do the football hold and use a pillow. I find boppy to be too bulky for me. Today I nursed at the dr and instead did a cradle hold since I had no pillow.
  • Options
    DS1 was at least four months when I stopped using a pillow with him (DS2 was huge from birth, so he didn't really need one, heh heh). If we were in public, I would use a sweatshirt or something to lift him up close to me. Do you use a wrap or carrier? That's what I used when I would NIP and he was little. I also tend to cross my legs and use the top leg as support when they're smaller. It'll get easier - DS1 was ten weeks before I felt comfortable enough to NIP with him!
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Options

thanks ladies. i think part of the problem is that my boobs seem huge for his little head. he doesnt stay latched well if i am not holding my boob up, and holding his head onto it.

doesnt help that i fractured my left arm this week and have limited use of it... but for future nursing i need to figure something out!

i tried nursing in the moby but failed miserably. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"