Washington Babies
Options

My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding

I watched some of this last night.  Crazy stuff!!  Did anyone watch? 

(Sorry if it was already discussed.  I tried to find it.  I've been kinda spotty on here, lately.)

Photo by J Shelton Photography

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Married 10/5/08 | 2 yrs of TTC, tests, procedures & a m/c | IVF #2 =James!

Re: My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding

• Options

That show was crazy. They talked about their high morals yet they allow 6 year old to get spray tans and dress like hookers. The dresses all looked like crappy Pnina Tornai knock offs. Who would wear a dress that had 550 yards of pink netting and weighed twice as much as you do? Then after your first communion you have to be carried to the car because you can't walk any farther.

Plus the fact that the girls cant go out alone and are bred to be housewives, pulled out of school at age 11 to help raise their siblings. Then to get married at 17 and start a family.

Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App
  • Options
    imageCiaram22:

That show was crazy. They talked about their high morals yet they allow 6 year old to get spray tans and dress like hookers. The dresses all looked like crappy Pnina Tornai knock offs. Who would wear a dress that had 550 yards of pink netting and weighed twice as much as you do? Then after your first communion you have to be carried to the car because you can't walk any farther.

Plus the fact that the girls cant go out alone and are bred to be housewives, pulled out of school at age 11 to help raise their siblings. Then to get married at 17 and start a family.

Yes, all of this!  And I was totally thinking about the Pnina thing, too!  (We still watch Say Yes to the Dress.)  :-)  The one girl said it's common to have pain in your hips from a dress: "The more bleeds, the better the dress." WTF?

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ooh!  I forgot that I set the DVR for both episodes last night.  I'll come back after I check them out.  
  • Options

I thought it was crazy addiciting. I had never heard of Irish Travellers before, so I then stayed up way to late googling.

I want to see more.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

So addicting!  I usually avoid all the TLC and the like shows because I know I'll just get hooked, but I got sucked in last night.  I remember seeing Irish Traveller wedding stuff when planning my wedding and just being amazed.

Seriously though, still not sure how this is a "culture."

J + J = K image Photo by J. Shelton Photography Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    And holy crap - wiki says that over half of Travellers don't live past 39 years old. 
    J + J = K image Photo by J. Shelton Photography Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Yes i saw the show as well its was good but crazy you know kept getting more crazy and more crazy...
  • Options
    Just added yet another train wreck to the dvr!
  • Options
    Okay - I watched.  W.T.F.....???  Why do all the young girls (6yo!!) dress (and dance!) like hookers?  And WTH was with the mom of the non-traveller bride?  She looked like she had rubbed mud all over her face.  Worst fake tan EVER.
  • Options

imagekaskade:
    I remember seeing Irish Traveller wedding stuff when planning my wedding and just being amazed.

I remember seeing these types of crazy big dresses, some with led lights, ginormous tiaras, etc, while planning, too.   I didn't realize it was from a certain culture; just people with bad taste.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"