Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Weaning DD from bottle

My DD is a year old and it is time to wean her off of the bottle.  I know I should just go cold turkey.  How did you guys do it and what was your experience? My DD loves her bottle before her nap and before she goes to bed. I am praying she won't fight me now for nap time and bed time.  How long did it take for your LO's to forget the bottle and change there nap and bed time routine.  I am playing on starting by at least Thursday. 

Re: Weaning DD from bottle

• It took me a week.

I switched out one bottle for one sippy every 2 days. She was only getting 3 bottles as it was. The first day she freaked out. The second day, didn't care a bit. GL!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • It took us 2 months, but that's because I just took them one at a time when I felt she was ready. She was a pro at the sippy by then, too. First to go was her pre-nap bottle. She never needed it to fall asleep, and the day of her birthday party she was so worn out when we got home that she went straight to a nap, no bottle. After that we figured she didn't need it and started offering her a snack and sippy instead.

About 3 weeks later I just didn't offer a morning bottle - offered a sippy and breakfast instead. She was a little annoyed, but went with it and that was that. Three-ish weeks after that we offered her sippy before bed instead of a bottle. She was angry that night and the next, but after two days she was fine. 

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • D.SmithD.Smith member
    I did it cold turkey and had no problems (thank God) GL
    DD-2/7/10
    BFP-4/8/14

• It took around a week, maybe two.  I had him off the bottle by his first birthday.  A week or two before he turned 1 I started replacing at one bottle a day with a sippy cup.  He only took three bottles a day, so it was pretty quick to step up to replacing all three with sippy cups.  The night bottle was the last to go.  He still gets a sippy cup of water at night for comfort.
  • imageD.Smith:
    I did it cold turkey and had no problems (thank God) GL

Same.  I did it just before 10 months. 

Photobucket

Bar tab = $156,000, Bus to Foxwoods = $0, Puking in the Stanley Cup = Priceless

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"