Success after IF
Options

When is speech considered "delayed"?

First of all, I know that there is a *huge* range of "acceptable" with speech just as there is for so many other developlemtal milestones so it's not so much that I'm worried, more just wondering what to expect. 

At DSs 12-month well appointment the pedi asked us about words (DS had none), said he wasn't concerned, but that if he still didn't have words by his next well appointment "we'd talk." 

Well, the appointment is in 2 weeks and DS has just started saying "bah bah" with a wave hand gesture, presumably for "bye bye."  Does that even "count" as a word?  I mention the hand gesture because he says "ba ba" all dang day long, and I wouldn't think he meant anything by it were it not for the hand gesture! 

Anyway - even if it counts I'm sure it's still not "normal" since I seem to recall that at 12 months the pedi said normal was something like 3 to 5 words.  (Although it could have been less, I don't remember.)  What, if anything, should I expect the pedi to say at his appt in 2 weeks? 

Re: When is speech considered "delayed"?

• Options
    I am not sure if they give different guidelines for boys... neither one of my boys has any words, either (not even bah-bah).  I had early intervention in a week ago because of Asher's torticollis, and I asked about the speech.  EI said not to worry at this point, since they are both babbling (and I assume your DS is, too).  They are babbling, imitating, and clearly communicating, so at this point it's not considered a problem.  I'm not sure when it will be... but my guess is that your DS is still in the range of normal.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    My LO had very few words/signs (I was told that signs count) at 18 months, but was told that was okay. At 19 months, I realized that he had not learned any new words in about 3 months, so I called and scheduled an appointment. Our pedi said he did not see any red flags, but understood my concern, so he put in the referral. LO qualified and is now receiving speech services.

I think that your pedi may suggest waiting a little bit longer. Eighteen months is typically when a toddler's language blossoms. You may be asked to wait until then to see how he develops.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageBeccaLandes:
    I am not sure if they give different guidelines for boys... neither one of my boys has any words, either (not even bah-bah).  I had early intervention in a week ago because of Asher's torticollis, and I asked about the speech.  EI said not to worry at this point, since they are both babbling (and I assume your DS is, too).  They are babbling, imitating, and clearly communicating, so at this point it's not considered a problem.  I'm not sure when it will be... but my guess is that your DS is still in the range of normal.

Yes, definitely babbling and just generally carrying on :)  But, he never acts like he's even trying to put a word together (but for the aforementioned "bah bah" that sprung up very recently).

• Options

The level of delay varies depending on who is doing the evaluation honestly.  Pediatricians are supposed to look for gestures such as pointing and waving at one year, in addition to hopefully two words like mama or baba.  Communicative intent counts so if he says baba while pointing at something specific, that could be considered a word.  If he's not trying to tell you something with it, then it would be babbling. 

I'm not sure what the exact expectation is at 15 months, though I know my son didn't meet it.  At 18 months, kids (regardless of gender) are expected to have at least 10 words at a minimum. That would be any sound they make that they use to communicate a specific thing such as animal sounds, or word approximations.

At 12 months my son had no words and no gestures, not even a wave.  At 15 he could wave but not point and still had no words.  At 18 months he finally had one word (mama), and was pointing and grunting to communicate. By then he was already lined up for speech therapy as he qualified at 17 months when I had him evaluated.

• Options

imageSmudges*Mom:
    My LO had very few words/signs (I was told that signs count) at 18 months, but was told that was okay. At 19 months, I realized that he had not learned any new words in about 3 months, so I called and scheduled an appointment. Our pedi said he did not see any red flags, but understood my concern, so he put in the referral. LO qualified and is now receiving speech services.

I think that your pedi may suggest waiting a little bit longer. Eighteen months is typically when a toddler's language blossoms. You may be asked to wait until then to see how he develops.

Lack of progress was also the final clue for my pedi too even though we were both concerned from 12 months on.  DS didn't make any progress at all (even learning new signs) from month 14 to month 16 (which is when we called EI).  He made some progress after that but it was not what I would call a "blossoming."

• Options
    Rhayna had VERY few words even at 16 months...mabye 5. I never really thought anything was "different" than any other kid until we visited with a friend who's kid is 4 mo younger than Rhayna and she was speaking in full sentances - I. WAS. FLOORED. and scared!

Low and behold at 18 months her vocabulary exploded! Then again at 23ish months and again at 2.5. When say say exploded, I mean like 5 new words a DAY for a while.

Now, when we play with that same kid, no one can understand a word she's saying (she has words but her enunciation is really poor) - she sounds the same as she did at 12 months old....Every kid is soooooooooooooo different.

Now, I'd pay my kid to shut up sometimes (if paying her actually worked! HA!)

Talk to someone if you're concerned (a freaked out mama makes for an anxious household!) but know that you're well within the normal range! :)
  • Options
    @ 15 months, they wanted 5 words, including mama and dada.  Mine said "kitty" and that was it (though had some signs).  What concerned me more was that he didn't imitate us making sounds at all.
  • Options
    I'm a professor of speech-language pathology and it's one word around 12 months, not at 12 months.  You want to watch for him starting to say some words between 12-18 months, but right at 12 months I would NOT worry.  Peds don't know much about speech/language development - they have bigger fish to fry.  If you want your mind put at ease, have him evaluated by an SLP if he hasn't said anything by 15 months.
    PCOS, lupus anticoagulant, MTHFR (A1298C, one copy) 2 IUIs & 1 IVF = BFN FET#1 = It's a girl! Born 7.1.10 FET#2 = c/p FET#3 = Twin girls! Born on 3.16.12 at 33w2d due to severe pre-E. After 4 weeks in the NICU they are home! Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"